DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   DVD Talk review of 'The Incredibles' (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/413218-dvd-talk-review-incredibles.html)

Lucasthucus 03-08-05 04:59 PM

DVD Talk review of 'The Incredibles'

I read Preston Jones's DVD review of The Incredibles at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=14744 and...

I thought this was a very fine review. If there was one thing I was worrying about, it was a sacrifice in image quality via compression...given the haloing in some of the scenes on Finding Nemo, which I found dissappointing.

OldBoy 03-09-05 08:16 AM

one thing can be said about Pixar they will never sacrifice image quality for anything in the world...and thank god for that!!

Fok 03-09-05 11:00 AM

Damm this release sounds great, looking forward to getting my hands on it.

chipmac 03-09-05 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lucasthucus
I read Preston Jones's DVD review of The Incredibles at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=14744 and...

I thought this was a very fine review. If there was one thing I was worrying about, it was a sacrifice in image quality via compression...given the haloing in some of the scenes on Finding Nemo, which I found dissappointing.

What haloing in Nemo? Pixar and compression issues I can see because Disney keeps cramming the extras on there but I've never heard anyone accuse them of adding EE.

Josh Z 03-09-05 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by chipmac
What haloing in Nemo? Pixar and compression issues I can see because Disney keeps cramming the extras on there but I've never heard anyone accuse them of adding EE.

They don't. There's no edge enhancement on any Pixar DVD. Any seen would be introduced by the display equipment the disc is being watched on.

Jason Bovberg 03-09-05 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
They don't. There's no edge enhancement on any Pixar DVD. Any seen would be introduced by the display equipment the disc is being watched on.

Plus, if memory serves, there was an intentional haloing effect--a "glow"--given to some of the underwater fish. I remember in some of the early scenes that Marlin has it, and some might mistake it for edge enhancement, which it definitely is not.

TomOpus 03-10-05 06:04 PM

When it comes to a Pixar movie, "Review?...we don't need no stinkin' review" :D j/k! I'm just jealous you already got to play around with it.

I've yet to be disappointed by a Pixar release. Sounds like another winner.

Iron_Giant 03-11-05 11:43 AM

This will be only the 2nd DVD I will have bought all year. Pixar puts out the best video quality bar none.

I bought "My Fair Lady" for my daughter, she was using it for an audition.

MasterofDVD 03-15-05 11:43 AM

Since I'm a sucker for Pixar I bought the DVD last night without seeing it and without reading any reviews. I'm glad to see a more grownup movie from them as far as story. I enjoyed it far far more than the last Pixar film that was released on DVD...Finding Nemo lacked in a few areas for me.

I only got to check out a few extras but I loved what I saw.

Damed 03-15-05 01:28 PM

A great loaded disc to be sure.

Am I the only one who finds this film to be one of Pixar's weakest in terms of story? I wasn't that impressed at all.

Jason Bovberg 03-15-05 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Damed
Am I the only one who finds this film to be one of Pixar's weakest in terms of story? I wasn't that impressed at all.

Normally, I don't like to speak for the entirety of the moviegoing population, but in this case I feel fairly confident in stating that you are, indeed, alone on that.

kornboy 03-15-05 06:01 PM

It sounds like a awesome movie from what I have heard, is it worth a blind buy?

I have liked all of Pixar's films so far..

TomOpus 03-15-05 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by kornboy
It sounds like a awesome movie from what I have heard, is it worth a blind buy?

I have liked all of Pixar's films so far..

Dude, if you're a Pixar fan already, this is a no-brainer. I'm surprised you missed it in the theater.

Sonic 03-15-05 10:55 PM

Wow I saw this movie today...been a long time i havent bought a dvd...but wow Pixar is INCREDIBLE!

RayChuang 03-15-05 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Sonic
Wow I saw this movie today...been a long time i havent bought a dvd...but wow Pixar is INCREDIBLE!

I agree. Go see this movie in widescreen form on a Mitsubishi DLP projection TV and the picture quality can only be described as SUPERB. :up:

Iron_Giant 03-16-05 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Sonic

Same here, only the 2nd DVD I bought over the past 3 1/2 months. This DVD was a must buy, lots of fun to watch.

ceeece 03-16-05 02:08 PM

Great movie and great special features. I love this set. The best part is the special features are in widescreen!!

BenCJedi 03-16-05 05:05 PM

You should see Pixar movies in HDTV. Totally astounding! So far I have

A Bug's Life
Toy Story 2
Monsters Inc

Gotta thank the ABC network for showing these in true HD! Also gotta give props to my MyHD MDP120 card for allowing me to record and burn the transport stream files to DVDR discs.

It'll probably be a few years before ABC shows Incredibles in HD. Until then I'm thrilled with the DVD.

RyoHazuki 03-16-05 05:39 PM

I know this is a little off topic but the front page says The Incredibles smashed box office records for animated films. What records did it smash?

dhmac 03-28-05 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
I know this is a little off topic but the front page says The Incredibles smashed box office records for animated films. What records did it smash?

Didn't it set some record for opening day or opening weekend grosses for a November release?

RyoHazuki 03-29-05 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by dhmac
Didn't it set some record for opening day or opening weekend grosses for a November release?

The first two Harry Potter movies opened in November to much bigger numbers than the Incredibles.

Sparklek1D 04-05-05 03:20 PM

The first two Harry Potter movies opened in November to much bigger numbers than the Incredibles.

Last time I checked Harry Potter was not animated. Incredibles is Disney's largest grossing moving in its U.S. opening weekend with $70,467,623 edging out Finding Nemo's opening weekend $70,251,710. However Shrek 2 has the largest U.S. opening weekend for any animated film with $108,037,878 and is the largest grossing animated film of all time.

BrianYuen 04-05-05 04:48 PM

Shrek 2????

that movie wasnt that great compared to the Incredibles!!!!

RyoHazuki 04-05-05 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sparklek1D
Last time I checked Harry Potter was not animated.
So the box office records it "smashed" was best opening for an animated film in November?

Best opening for an animated film for a certain month isn't a big deal. Ice Age, Shark Tale, and Shrek 2 all did that.

Originally Posted by Sparklek1D
Incredibles is Disney's largest grossing moving in its U.S. opening weekend with $70,467,623 edging out Finding Nemo's opening weekend $70,251,710. However Shrek 2 has the largest U.S. opening weekend for any animated film with $108,037,878 and is the largest grossing animated film of all time.

So the only other record is Pixar's best opening weekend by $215,913? Hardly "smashing".

Sparklek1D 04-06-05 08:28 AM

Best opening for an animated film for a certain month isn't a big deal. Ice Age, Shark Tale, and Shrek 2 all did that.

So the only other record is Pixar's best opening weekend by $215,913? Hardly "smashing".

Ice Age opened with $46,312,454 and Shark Tale opened with $47,604,606 how is that comparable to Shrek 2's $108,037,878?

The record that Incredibles has as I stated before is that it was Disney's largest grossing opening weekend. It hardly smashed records but that is how they wished to promote DVD. It is the forth largest grossing animated film of all time Worldwide

1. Shrek 2 $880,871,036
2. Finding Nemo $865,000,000
3. The Lion King $783,400,000
4. The Incredibles $624,009,367
5. Monster's Inc $528,900,000