Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"The Andy Griffith Show" DVD Set Review

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-05, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to let you know how superbly and professionally this TV series has been initially released. I'm talking about the "Complete First Season" of this show which contains all 32 episodes in their glorious, FULL LENGTH versions.

Additionally, they MUST have used the master films for the transfers to DVD, because the clarity and gray scale of these black & white episodes is excellent!

There are no gimmicky "extras" with this set and that's perfectly o.k. by me. Just give me the full length, UN-edited programs in excellent picture quality and that's ALL I'll ever ask for!

Even if you only have a passing interest in the Andy Griffith Show, this series IS considered a classic, PLUS, because of the sheer quality of THIS release, it would make a nice addition to your DVD library.

One of the things you may have forgotten about, due to the severely edited syndicated versions, was the "epilog" (as some people call it) at the very end of each episode. The epilog was a 1 - 2 minute tag that was written into the script for the purpose of a comical ending after the final commercial break. Sometimes it was connected to the main plot and sometimes not, but, in just about every case, it made you laugh. And, during the "Barney years", it usually consisted of Andy playing a trick on Barney (or) making him the butt of a joke. This was a good way to end each episode because it left you with a smile on your face and wanting more so you'd tune in the next week.

Sadly, these epilogs were the FIRST things edited out when the show went into syndicaton, but NOT because they weren't funny, just simply because the syndicators were LAZY and these were the EASIEST to snip!

All of these epilogs have been restored in this DVD set. The companies that are involved in and should be congratulated for this release (and rewarded by your purchase) are:

CBS
Paramount Television
Viacom

(and NO, I have absolutely no connection, financial or otherwise, to anyone involved with this release)

BTW, I'm confident that all of the seasons of The Andy Griffith Show will eventually be released professionally like this, so, don't waste your money on ANY of the "other" multitude of releases issued over the past 2 decades by certain low-rent companies.
In fact, these 4 or 5 companies keep re-releasing the same 18 episodes that are part of the 3rd or 4th season that somehow went into "public domain". For the most part, they use the edited, syndicated versions and the picture quality can't even begin to compare to the newly released "Complete First Season" by Paramount/Viacom/CBS

Good viewing,
Bill

Old 02-20-05, 08:24 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the review. I was on the fence about this TV show, but your review convinced me to fulfill one of my CH accounts using this set. Thanks again, I look forward to getting my set.
Old 02-20-05, 09:02 PM

finally these are out!
I was a sucker and bought one thought it was good.
it was licensed?..or the studio was called raintree.
they didn't even have the original music!
it was a cheap mock remix type of thing !
well at least I only paid 5.50 for it
Old 02-22-05, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm going to purchase this once Deep Discount DVD does that 20% coupon deal again. Great TV series!
Old 02-22-05, 03:23 AM

Thanks for everyone's comments. I'm confident you will really enjoy the set.

One more thing I forgot to mention - you'll also be very pleased with the AUDIO. It's amazingly crisp and clear with no muffling of dialog.

In fact, in one or two episodes (forgot which ones) I could even hear Barney's gun holster and belt squeak as he so often assumed "the pose" right before he was to give someone a lecture.... ha, ha, I love it!

I'll certainly be one of the 1st in line when Season 2 comes out!

Regards,
Bill
Old 02-25-05, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts
Just bought this series, a really nice set. It's interesting to see Andy Taylor grow as well, he was more "hickish" to start. Hopefully season 2 drops soon.
Old 02-25-05, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by JeremyM
Just bought this series, a really nice set. It's interesting to see Andy Taylor grow as well, he was more "hickish" to start. Hopefully season 2 drops soon.
I've read in past interviews that Andy Griffith pretty much refuses to watch the first season episodes because of that reason.
Old 03-04-05, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
My all-time favorite show and a must have purchase for anyone human.

I've bought a few extra copies as gifts. Strong sales will motivate them to release all of them.

I taped all the shows from the 8 year run 20 years ago, back when the epilogues were still intact.

While the shows are enough, I would enjoy some commentaries from the characters that are still alive.
Old 03-22-05, 12:47 PM

Just a heads up.....the *complete*, UN-edited Season 2 of "The Andy Griffith Show" will be released on May 24, 2005 by Paramount.

What a RELIEF! Even though I was confident that Paramount would continue releasing this series, you just never know.

To all TAGS fans (and those yet to discover this great series), keep showing your support by buying the Paramount releases ONLY! Hopefully soon, we'll drive those other 4 or 5 low-rent companies who continue releasing the severly edited versions, out of business.

Bill
Old 03-22-05, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!