Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVDTalk to review Deadwood?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-05, 01:52 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Curious as to why a DVDTalk review hasn't been posted for the HBO series, Deadwood yet? It is released tomorrow (2/8) and a review may sway some to make a blind-buy. Is a review in the works?
Old 02-07-05, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
das Monkey is tackling the review for DVD Talk. There wasn't a lot of lead time with this set, unfortunately, so a review is probably still a short while off.
Old 02-07-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fyi here is a recent review:

http://www.dvdtown.com/review/deadwo...284fafe38ec182

kms
Old 02-07-05, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Adam Tyner

das Monkey is tackling the review for DVD Talk. There wasn't a lot of lead time with this set, unfortunately, so a review is probably still a short while off.
Yeah, our good ol' reliable postal service had this one to my door late Saturday afternoon.

das
Old 02-07-05, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel your pain, das monkey ... I was supposed to get review copies of Ray and Maya the last week of January. They STILL haven't shown up.
Old 02-07-05, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=14405
Old 02-07-05, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fantastic review. Great work, das. Unfortunatley, you probably just caused me to spend $65 I wasn't going to spend.
Old 02-07-05, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Episode 12 is called "Sold Under Sin", not "Sold Under Sub". While submarines first make their appearance in the US in the Civil War, they weren't found in South Dakota until much, much later
Old 02-08-05, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That has to be one of my better offset typos. Of course, as a companion piece to "Deep Water", I guess it could work.

das
Old 02-08-05, 08:37 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Wow - das, what was your weekend like? Busy I'm assuming.

Great review, BTW.

Old 02-08-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Yeah, Das, great review - I'm really enjoying all your reviews (but is it beacaus I agree with every word...?).

Anyways, what's next on you review slate?
Old 02-09-05, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Another big to any and all das reviews. Keep them going!
Old 02-09-05, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Nice review, das - why didn't you give it the Collector's Series rating? Because the show's story meandered a bit in the middle of the season? Not that it is a big deal or anything, but everything in the review seemed to point in that direction.

And I thought we agreed that you would start bolding the important parts for the simple folk who just want a quick fix.
Old 02-09-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

B.A.

Nice review, das - why didn't you give it the Collector's Series rating? Because the show's story meandered a bit in the middle of the season? Not that it is a big deal or anything, but everything in the review seemed to point in that direction.
For one, the special features are good but not stellar. Secondly, I think it falls a bit short on replay value compared to some other shows of similar quality. And finally, as you mention, I do think the story drops a bit in some places in the middle of the season. I must be clear that when I say these things, I am splitting hairs, and the show is far superior to just about everything else on television, but when assigning these ratings I need to split those hairs, and I try to reserve the Collector Series rating for the absolute best of the best in terms of extras or content (preferably both), something that truly stands out and demands special attention. While this set comes close, I don't think it reaches that level. I'm hoping the second season does.

B.A.

And I thought we agreed that you would start bolding the important parts for the simple folk who just want a quick fix.
I know you're just joking around, but if any part of you is serious on this topic, I do try to structure my reviews so someone with poor reading skills like yourself can just read the Introduction (and first paragraph of Content) and Conclusion and get an idea of what the show is about and what I think about it. As for bolding, they're all "important parts".

das
Old 02-10-05, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by das Monkey
For one, the special features are good but not stellar. Secondly, I think it falls a bit short on replay value compared to some other shows of similar quality. And finally, as you mention, I do think the story drops a bit in some places in the middle of the season. I must be clear that when I say these things, I am splitting hairs, and the show is far superior to just about everything else on television, but when assigning these ratings I need to split those hairs, and I try to reserve the Collector Series rating for the absolute best of the best in terms of extras or content (preferably both), something that truly stands out and demands special attention. While this set comes close, I don't think it reaches that level. I'm hoping the second season does.
Excellent - I just wanted to know where you stand w/ you ratings and how serious you are about throwing out the Collector's Series stamp.

Originally Posted by das Monkey
I know you're just joking around, but if any part of you is serious on this topic, I do try to structure my reviews so someone with poor reading skills like yourself can just read the Introduction (and first paragraph of Content) and Conclusion and get an idea of what the show is about and what I think about it. As for bolding, they're all "important parts".

das
Not. Serious. At. All.

Your reviews kick ass - keep up the good work. It's nice to see a well-written piece that had some thought put into it.

Old 02-12-05, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Nice review, das, but I think it took me longer to read your article than it did to watch the whole season of episodes!