Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

ANGEL: One more review to go...

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-05, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always found the DVD talk ANGEL series reviews to me (mostly) consistent with my take on what will always be the BEST series I have ever been fortunate enough to witness.

I eagerly await the Season Five review here, as I recall opinions about the opening of the final season were less than favorable, so I'm interested to read how the season as a whole is regarded. (Yes, I thought the ending was perfect.)

And, at least this time the "previously on..." segments being removed aren't going to affect the DVD all that much, so that's something good, right?

Can't wait for that 9 minute outtake reel...

Until Feb 15.
Old 01-26-05, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick Martin
I eagerly await the Season Five review here, as I recall opinions about the opening of the final season were less than favorable, so I'm interested to read how the season as a whole is regarded. (Yes, I thought the ending was perfect.)
Thanks for the kind words about my reviews!

I'm not keen on some of the earlier episodes of season 5, but I think the season rebounded very strongly as it progressed, and I agree that the ending was perfect. It's an uneven season, but I think the best parts of it more than make up for the weaker moments.
Old 01-26-05, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the very few positives of having my Top 50 fall apart this season was not having to tear apart this season of Angel. While I loved so much of how it ended, it is significantly flawed in many ways IMO. Adam and I often disagree with things in the Buffyverse, which is great, because I respect his perspective so much, so I'm very much looking forward to reading his take on this final season as well.

das
Old 01-27-05, 06:35 PM

Well, I've said those words before, but it's the truth, so I'm saying them again.
Old 01-27-05, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Bah humbug! You Angel S4 fans are crazy. Season 5 was a quantum leap improvement in every respect.
Old 02-01-05, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Bah humbug! You Angel S4 fans are crazy. Season 5 was a quantum leap improvement in every respect.
I hope the final season ends up as good as I've heard because I too think Season 4 was a joke. There were maybe 3 good shows in the whole bunch. I was happy with the way the 4th season ended and I have high hopes for the final season.
Old 02-01-05, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Season four had a lot of good things going for it, like
Spoiler:
the return of Faith, the dynamic between the characters, and the return of Angelus
, but there were a lot of critical errors that drug it down, namely
Spoiler:
utterly destroying six years of developing Cordelia's character only to waste her on that half-baked "Evil Cordie" plotline,I never cared for Connor (they already shoe-horned a teenager into BTVS and Angel didn't need another one), and the whole Jasmine-had-been-manipulating-events-for-years seemed horribly forced.
Old 02-01-05, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

With the exception of 'Home' and 'Awakening', with some love for 'Apocalypse, Nowish' as well, Season 4 was a disaster. It makes me sad that I feel that way, but it's the truth.

das
Old 02-03-05, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Huh. I thought that season 4 was phenomenal. So twisty and turny. I loved it. 5 was hit and miss, but no where near as bad as Buffy s7 or X-Files 8 and 9. And the finale of Angel was one of the finest finales I've ever seen (unlike those other two series, which had garbage finales)
Old 02-03-05, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Gil Jawetz
I thought that season 4 was phenomenal.
I agree. I thought Season 4 was the best season of the show....while Season 5 was by far the worst.
Old 02-04-05, 03:56 PM
Cool New Member

I loved Season 4! Had it not been for the appearance of Jasmine (what an anti-climax THAT was), it would have been my favourite season. As it is, Season 3 ranks top for me – purely because it is consistently fantastic throughout. Holtz was a fabulous “villain”.

I'm now waiting for Season five to be released. I figure it's gotten such a bad press everywhere that disappointment wouldn't be possible for me anymore.
Old 02-05-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I too thought season 4 was really great (save for Jasmine...ugh!). Especially when watching it through for the first time. I remember being on the edge of my seat every week.

My favorite seasons are now (oddly) season 1 and 2. They have the most rewatchability IMHO.
Old 02-05-05, 07:17 PM

Season 4 of Angel was as good as if not better than season 2 of 24. Watching it for the first time on dvd kept me up all night. Granted Cordy was a joke and Connor can be irritating, it was an amazingly fun ride with high points for Amy Acker, J. Richards, and especially Alexis Denisof. I don't understand the hate for Jasmine though. To me, that was the greatest part of the show. From the Magic Bullet on, I thought it was amazing.
Old 02-05-05, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hakim679

Season 4 of Angel was as good as if not better than season 2 of 24.
Is this supposed to be praise? I guess it does pose an interesting poll question, though. Which is the more idiotic plot device from a 2002-2003 series: Jasmine or Cougar?

das
Old 02-07-05, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
I can't believe how canonized that cougar in 24 got - he was only in, like, one episode. However, people go on as if the cougar was the mastermind behind the terrorists. That said, it was pretty stupid, almost as stupid as the whole Jasmine thing. The Jasmnine arc killed S4 of Angel for me, which otherwise, would have been my favorite season.
Old 02-07-05, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
The complete unwriting of everything interesting about Cordelia's character is what killed S4 for me. Jasmine and planet of the crab people were just further sour notes in the season.

Joss Whedon obviously agrees, as he worked very hard in S5 to undo the mess of S4.
Old 02-08-05, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I keep seeing this bumped and I get excited thinking the review is up.
Damn.

Season 4 was riddled with problems that got worse and worse the whole season. I under that both Buffy and Angel always "tortured" their characters and had them deal with a multitude of problems but so much of the cast was changed and messed up in the 4th season that I couldn't deal with it. My friend who got me into both shows when they came to DVD kept assuring me that season 4 would improve and I'm not sure if he lied to keep me watching or if he really liked the show. We don't hang out much but you can bet that as soon as I finish the last season I'm going to call him and tell him what I think. I just hope it's a good report.
Old 02-08-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
The complete unwriting of everything interesting about Cordelia's character is what killed S4 for me. Jasmine and planet of the crab people were just further sour notes in the season.

Joss Whedon obviously agrees, as he worked very hard in S5 to undo the mess of S4.
If that's the case then they he should've
Spoiler:
brought the real Cordelia back in season five, and revealed the season four Cordie to be an impostor.

Considering the frightful mess that season four turned into, when they found out Charisma was pregnant, they should've just put her on paid leave and written her out for the rest of the season. Yeah, they'd be paying her for doing nothing, but at least the show would've turned out better.

Mind, I'm not saying that the mess of season four was Charisma's fault, the blame falls squarely on the writers for fucking up her character.
Old 02-08-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts
I acknowledge many of the same flaws some of you do, but they don't grate on my nerves nearly as much. Cordelia had already devolved into St. Cordy in season three, so the character was already pretty thoroughly ruined for me before any of these episodes aired. Jasmine was a fairly terrible idea, but as bad as a lot of that was, there were some moments I liked, particularly the entirety of "The Magic Bullet", which I see as one of the stand-out episodes of the season. Also, although Jasmine obviously had an influence over the season as a whole, her character is concentrated in...what was it, three episodes? That's a small enough number to not really drag things down too heavily.

I'm not sure if I'd blame Charisma Carpenter or not for what happened in season four, but she was clearly not up to the task of playing the role that was written for her that year...eye-rollingly unconvincing.
Old 02-08-05, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Gotta say, I love Jasmine.

She's soooo beautiful....
Old 02-14-05, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love the strong disagreement between our very distinguished reviewers here...

The hardest part for me about seasons 4-5 was the loss of any strong female presence in the show. CC had grown into one in seasons 1-3, which stayed true to the feminist legacy of Buffy IMO. I had a hard time keeping my wife and female friends interested once CC took her S4 turn and no one was there to replace her presence.

I thought 4 was better than 5, but chalked that up as much to the marching orders that ME were under from the WB as anything else.
Old 02-15-05, 10:13 AM

The "Previously On..." segments are kept on the Season 5 DVD

I just watched a little bit of the Season 5 DVD and apparently all the "Previously On..." segments(I think about 3) are kept on the DVD. I guess they thought that since there weren't that many then why bother.

Last edited by tf50515; 02-15-05 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-15-05, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by tf50515
I just watched a little bit of the Season 5 DVD and apparently all the "Previously On..." segments(I think about 3) are kept on the DVD. I guess they thought that since there weren't that many then why bother.
Nice time to start.
Old 02-15-05, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thats not true about Joss agreeing. I remember in part of the special features on the S4 set Joss says that he thinks S4 is the best Angel season up to that point. I don't think Angel S4 was the best was it was definitely good. Angel isn't like Buffy, where some seasons are just horrible compared to the best seasons. To me all of the Seasons are great, but some are better than others. I find Season 5 to be the best with Season 3 coming in right under it. People are a little hard on the first 6 episodes of Season 5, i think they're good. They just appear a little average compared to how phenomenal episodes 7 through 22 are.
Old 02-15-05, 05:27 PM

I found it interesting to see clips from season 1 in the featurettes that were expanded to look widescreen, the exact same way they did season 2. (clips from "Eternity", "I Will Remember You" and a few others)

Almost made me wish season 1 had been released that way...just because it looked more consistent with the other season clips.

I admit I was shocked when I too noticed the 'previously on' segments were not removed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.