Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

What kind of review is the charmed review?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

What kind of review is the charmed review?

Old 01-25-05, 07:44 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 222
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What kind of review is the charmed review?

one of the worst reviews i have read... because "you" the reviewer don't find the episodes the same as when you first watched them you assume everyone else will also have this same point of view as you and recommend renting it and passing on it because of this?

i don't think your outgrowth or not feeling the early show any longer has any bearing on if others would enjoy it.... bottom line is the review should be simple it should go "if your a fan of the series pick it up and if your not pass".

i am giving your review my own review and saying pass on your review. bottom line is if you enjoy the series your gonna pick it up and if not your gonna pass. i don't think mr. reviewer and his personal experience with the show is going to be the determining factor on other people.
LucyMonostone is offline  
Old 01-25-05, 11:37 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 18,277
Received 367 Likes on 261 Posts
Originally Posted by LucyMonostone
i don't think mr. reviewer and his personal experience with the show is going to be the determining factor on other people.
Isn't that what a review is?
majorjoe23 is offline  
Old 01-25-05, 12:03 PM
  #3  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Flava-Country!
Posts: 3,964
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude - a review is an opinion, nothing more. I think Lord of the Rings sucked major ass, yet thousands dont. Am I wrong? Are they wrong? No - it's just an opinion, neither right or wrong.
El-Kabong is offline  
Old 01-25-05, 03:44 PM
  #4  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 222
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a reviiew should give details of the disc and shed light on bonus featues and stuff like this.. it shouldn't be filled with the reviwer's personal opinion all over it. who cares what he thinks. most people just want to know the factual details on the disc and maybe see some menu screens.

i can form my own opinion if i like something or not i dont need someone else feeding me his bs.
LucyMonostone is offline  
Old 01-25-05, 04:03 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Rogue588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Posts: 15,094
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In case you missed it [I realize that by the time you made it to the end of the review, your eyes were probably tearing up after the scathing personal opinions ]

Video:
This DVD release is given in 1.33:1 ratio full frame color. The picture quality is viewable. Most viewers will not be troubled with the quality, but some may notice that it has its faults. The image has a noticeable grain that is really noticeable during dark scenes. There are also a few occurrences of compression artifacts in the picture. Overall, the video is viewable, but not really great.

Audio:
The audio track in this release is in English 2.0 Dolby digital stereo. The audio in this release comes off fairly flat. However as with most TV on DVD releases it's not necessarily bad, as the majority of the audio is spoken dialogue. The sound quality is good, providing an audible and clean audio track. Music comes off fairly rich and sound effects tend to take advantage of the right and left channels. This release comes equipped with closed captioning.

Extras:
This release is another Paramount DVD release that comes with no extras.
Satisfied?

btw...Welcome to the forum! Be careful, we're an opinionated bunch.
Rogue588 is offline  
Old 01-25-05, 07:17 PM
  #6  
Video Gamer Reviewers
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 4,161
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LucyMonostone
i can form my own opinion if i like something or not i dont need someone else feeding me his bs.
Okay.
jrobinson is offline  
Old 01-25-05, 07:31 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Randy Miller III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 4,717
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LucyMonostone
a reviiew post should give details of the disc be proofread and shed light on bonus featues and stuff like this words should be capitalized when necessary.
...
Randy Miller III is offline  
Old 01-25-05, 07:35 PM
  #8  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 222
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes you don't have to quote the review i read the review i know what it says... the part you quoted was fine it wasn't untill the reviewer started going into his personal outgrowth of the first season and all this personal stuff that i had a problem.

that kind of bias opinion shouldn't be spoonfed to the public... a selfish outlook one should keep in mind many people are going to be reading and to keep them in mind in the review and maybe try and form an idea of how the disc as a whole may be viewed but going into personal opinion about how at one point someone enjoys it and then outgrows it or whatever the issue and then basing something on that is a fault.

on what basis would someone rent it? because the reviwer doesn't seem to think it holds up to his personal standards years later? i didn't see what legit reason why he recommends to rent it other then personal issues with the show... ok ok let's all pass on the dvd because "he" has issues.
LucyMonostone is offline  
Old 01-25-05, 07:36 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 28,641
Received 1,830 Likes on 1,209 Posts
Originally Posted by LucyMonostone
it shouldn't be filled with the reviwer's personal opinion all over it.
It really should, though. I've found out about quite a few movies I never wouldn't have thought to watch by reading reviews. If those had been stale, technical exercises like you describe, then I probably would've missed out on a lot of fantastic movies and TV shows.

If you don't like the comments about the content, scroll past them and skip straight to the technical details.

Originally Posted by LucyMonostone
ok ok let's all pass on the dvd because "he" has issues.
"Rent It" isn't a command. It's a recommendation.
Adam Tyner is online now  
Old 01-25-05, 07:43 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 18,277
Received 367 Likes on 261 Posts
I know I love it when critics do nothing but recount the plot and tell me the stars. Thumbs up, thumbs down? I don't need Ebert telling me what to think!
majorjoe23 is offline  
Old 01-25-05, 07:46 PM
  #11  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 222
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah i know it isn't a command and i can ignore it if i don't like it... but i know how important reviews are and what kind of effect it has on the casual person out there... mr. normal john out there. I always here people saying "i'm not seeing so and so the reviews were bad".. do you know how many awesome movies i loved i would of missed if i listened to the reviewers personal opinion on it? which leads me to hate personal opinion in reviews.

why not leave it up to the person to decide if he likes it is what i am trying to get at... a person reading that review not familiar with it would be inclined to pass on it all because his personal opinion... which sucks because maybe they might enjoy it greatly who knows.

i just wish reviewers would realize how important their reviews can be and use a little more prudence in their writing... less personal opinion and more guidance into the film with an open mind.
LucyMonostone is offline  
Old 01-25-05, 07:52 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Chris Tribbey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Napa, California
Posts: 278
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LucyMonostone
On what basis would someone rent it? because the reviwer doesn't seem to think it holds up to his personal standards years later? i didn't see what legit reason why he recommends to rent it other then personal issues with the show... ok ok let's all pass on the dvd because "he" has issues.
I think you've missed the point on what a "review" is....It says right up top, who reviewed it and when. This is his opinion, and it's fine that you didn't agree with it, but his review does what most every review on this site does: a mix of show/DVD description and personal thoughts about the product.

If it wasn't a personal opinion, it would be "spoonfed" crap from the company releasing it. You don't have to agree with a review to still get an idea of what the show is about. That happens to me every time I read a review in the San Francisco Chronicle by Mick LaSalle. I almost always disagree with him, but I still find out what the movie's about.
Chris Tribbey is offline  
Old 01-25-05, 07:58 PM
  #13  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 222
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i disagree about if it wasn't personal opinion it would be spoonfed company stuff... one can review a film without personal opinion just check out dvdbeaver who does an amazing job of providing factual information to to the viewer and backing up things with comparisons and just an amazing job of giving the reader unbiased information to let them form their own opinions from those facts... and when the reviewer does give his own opinion (like at the end where he judges which version was greater in a certain area) it doesn't feel like an opinion forced upon you... because he goes into great detail on each thing with screens and stuff.

now that is a review.

"the show isn't the same as it was when i used to watch it so rent it"
is something i don't even know what to call.
LucyMonostone is offline  
Old 01-25-05, 08:22 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Chris Tribbey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Napa, California
Posts: 278
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LucyMonostone
i disagree about if it wasn't personal opinion it would be spoonfed company stuff... one can review a film without personal opinion just check out dvdbeaver
They didn't have a smile for "yawn" or "boring" so ....

Not you, but "reviews" without an opinion.

Good old Webster's can tackle this one... review: a critical evaluation.

If there's no opinion, it's just a synopsis.

Last edited by Chris Tribbey; 01-25-05 at 08:32 PM.
Chris Tribbey is offline  
Old 01-25-05, 08:34 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 28,641
Received 1,830 Likes on 1,209 Posts
Originally Posted by LucyMonostone
do you know how many awesome movies i loved i would of missed if i listened to the reviewers personal opinion on it? which leads me to hate personal opinion in reviews.
If a movie reviewer took out all semblance of personal opinion, what would be left? A plot summary?

In my mind, a well-written review should be descriptive enough to give the reader a solid impression as to what it's about, say how the reviewer reacted to it, and describe why the reviewer felt the way he/she did. A site that only writes positive reviews is of little use to me (DVD Review used to have a "if you can't say anything nice..." policy, for instance). A site whose reviews are purely technical is of little interest. I'd go to DVD Beaver if there were several different releases of a title and I wanted to know which one to pick up. Would I go there if I were on the fence about a particular movie, and I was hoping to find some comments that might push me one way or the other? No.

Originally Posted by LucyMonostone
why not leave it up to the person to decide if he likes it is what i am trying to get at...
The reader is always free to decide. If the review in question had said that Charmed is a show about witches, rattled off a list of stars, provided one sentence summaries of each episode, and nothing else...what does that do for me? Let's say I've never watched Charmed (which we can, since I haven't). Is a TV Guide-style capsule description like that going to intrigue me enough to shell out $40 for a box set? No. Do graphs of bitrates make me want to buy a TV show I've never seen? No. I've heard the argument that DVD reviews should only focus on the DVD, not the movie (or TV show, or whatever) before, and I don't understand that mindset at all. Even comments about video, audio, and whether or not extras are worthwhile are going to be subjective to some extent.
Adam Tyner is online now  
Old 01-25-05, 08:56 PM
  #16  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 132
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LucyMonotone, just out of curiosity: if Jeffrey had instead given "Charmed" a hearty endorsement, would that still have prompted a post from you taking issue with subjectivity?

Bill C
flmfreakcentral is offline  
Old 01-26-05, 06:03 AM
  #17  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 222
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i don't know how other people are but i love the way dvd beaver does the overview... i don't need to know about how the reviewer feels about the movie itself like i said i can form my own opinion if i want to see it or if i will like it based on a number of factors: the plot, the stars, the director/writer,etc,etc. the kind of meat i am looking for is factual information about the dvd afterall it is a dvd review is it not? if i wanted to hear the personal opinion i would go listen to robert ebert pee all over hundreds of awesome films made by awesome people and then he comes along sitting on his fat butt putting them down... i don't need that crap.

i enjoy very much when the reviwer just gives a description of what the movie is about and then goes into factual detail of the dvddisc. i don't know why anyone would want someone's opinion on the film or series itself because that is pointless.

as to the person who asks would i feel the same way if it was a more positive review.. the thing is it isn't really a review it is just a personal bias towards the show so i don't see it as a positive or negative concerning the actual show i see it as a personal selfish bias based on the reviwers personal issues and thats what i have the problem with,.,, now if he still gave the "rent it" judgement but gave an actual review with factual information and good stuff i wouldn't of minded i am not a huge fan of the charmed series although i do like it but im not trying to defend it so much as i am trying to defend my distaste towards personal bias and opinion on reviews of which i hate.

really if he was gushing about how he loved the series and first season i wouldn't of cared for it very much either as i said i don't like personal opinion in the review.. which leads me to not like most reviews but i just through this review took the cake and was really bad and had to comment on it.
LucyMonostone is offline  
Old 01-26-05, 08:17 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin
 
Adam Tyner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Greenville, South Cackalack
Posts: 28,641
Received 1,830 Likes on 1,209 Posts
This entire discussion is ridiculous. DVD/movie reviews have (and should have) personal opinions. If you don't like the concept of DVD reviews, don't read them, and don't read DVD File, DVD Review, DVD Movie Guide, The Digital Bits, digitallyObsessed, HorrorDVDs.com, DVD Town, DVD Angle, The Home Theater Forum, or any of the dozens of other sites who structure their reviews the same general way as DVD Talk. It's the standard for a reason.

Saying that a DVD review shouldn't comment on the content is like saying that a restaurant review shouldn't comment on the food. "Other people have different tastes in food, and you should respect that. Just give me a list of menu items and hours of operation!" If that's what you want, you're not looking for a review. From the sound of things, you'd be better off reading the back of the DVD with a plot summary written by the studio's marketing department and a list of extras.

Closing thread, as I probably should've done a while ago. If you want to start another discussion about this, take it to Forum Feedback and Support.
Adam Tyner is online now  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.