Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Wild at Heart: Special Edition'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-04, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Bill Gibron's DVD review of Wild at Heart: Special Edition at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=13540 and couldn't help but keep things about how incredibly long winded review was.

Seriously...this is the worst review I have ever read. The reviewer doesn't pay attention to the headings. For example the section "The DVD" talks for several paragraphs about the plot of the movie...nothing about this specific DVD. The whole review, including the final thoughts that never really say what the reviewers final thoughts are on the DVD, reads like some paper he wrote and he's tried to fit it into a review of sorts...tho to poor results.

According to the reviews at DVDbeaver.com, the image quality of this MGM NTSC release is bright but too red and thus feels overly manipulated.

It's also a shame that they don't include as an extra, the unaltered scene of Dafoe shooting himself. (again, see the DVDbeaver.com review)

Last edited by JLyon1515; 12-12-04 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-20-04, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
First of all, try searching before you post. It helps eliminate duplicate threads. I created a thread based on this review a couple days before you posted. It was on the first page of this forum.

I must say that I disgree wholeheartedly with you on the quality of the review. I am somewhat surprised that you felt the need to start a thread in order to criticize a review. Was it really the worst review you have ever read? I find that hard to believe. Perhaps you don't read a lot of reviews.

All due respect to DVDbeaver, but Lynch personally supervised the remaster, the re-color correcting and re-timing of this DVD transfer. I would think that in that regard it is true to his vision.

Finally, we can both agree that it would have been nice if the unaltered Dafoe scene had been included in some form.
Old 01-03-05, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by automator
First of all, try searching before you post. It helps eliminate duplicate threads. I created a thread based on this review a couple days before you posted. It was on the first page of this forum.
On the review page, there was a link that said "Want to comment on or discuss this review? Send us your comments." I just clicked on that link and did as the link instructed...I commented. So you can't fault me for not going to the forum and searching. If the people who run this site don't like that there are a lot of duplicate threads, they should change the link to say "Search our reviews forum for a thread" and have that link go to the main review forum.

Perhaps a moderator can merge the two threads?

I must say that I disgree wholeheartedly with you on the quality of the review. I am somewhat surprised that you felt the need to start a thread in order to criticize a review. Was it really the worst review you have ever read? I find that hard to believe. Perhaps you don't read a lot of reviews.
Like I said before, I just clicked teh link that the site said to click if I wanted to comment on the review.

And yes, it really was the worst review I have ever read, for the reasons I mentioned before...long winded and it felt like some paper that the reviewer had previously written and he was squeezing the paper into the sections for the review...but he didn't even take the time to organize it right!

I would say I'm not an avid review reader, but I do read my fair share. You really thought it was a good review?

Last edited by JLyon1515; 01-03-05 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-03-05, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All due respect to DVDbeaver, but Lynch personally supervised the remaster, the re-color correcting and re-timing of this DVD transfer. I would think that in that regard it is true to his vision.
Well said.

Nothing else matters.

FWIW, I happen to think it looked pretty damn good too. Certainly a significant improvement over my previous copy.
Old 01-04-05, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JLyon1515
On the review page, there was a link that said "Want to comment on or discuss this review? Send us your comments." I just clicked on that link and did as the link instructed...I commented. So you can't fault me for not going to the forum and searching. If the people who run this site don't like that there are a lot of duplicate threads, they should change the link to say "Search our reviews forum for a thread" and have that link go to the main review forum.

Perhaps a moderator can merge the two threads?
Fair enough. We'll just have to agree to disagree on the review itself. Either way, I picked up my copy last week and am very impressed with the DVD. It's a fine Special Edition with Lynch's participation (!!!). Looking forward to the inevitable Lost Highway:SE. :fingerscrossed: