Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Snow White & 7 Dwarfs: Special Edition'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-04, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Aaron Beierle's DVD review of Snow White & 7 Dwarfs: Special Edition at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=2791 and... I wonder when Disney next releases Snow White whether they will be able to better this already awesome restoration? I guess they will go for a re release for the film classic's 70th anniversary?? Does anyone know what improvements will be done?

When I checked out a hyperlink to Warner Bros's Gone With The Wind DVD trailer and looked at Warner Bros Gone with The Wind DVD trailer, there have been leaps in the quality of movie restoration, even since Snow White Platinum edition!

Here's to another interesting take on the Fairest of them all!!

Last edited by Deco King; 10-06-04 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-06-04, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
I really don't know what more they could do with the source material without starting to actually change it. Maybe they could CGI in an eighth dwarf or something. But seriously, I think the next release will take advantage of the coming DVD technological improvements (blue-ray/HD-DVD) so you will see an improvement at home, but not due to changes in the source material. This is probably true with all of the Disney SE's coming out (Mary Poppins, Aladdin, Bambi, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, etc.)
Old 10-07-04, 05:24 AM

Hope that they never NEVER do a Snow White sequel!!

As I am a bit of a technical ignoramus can you explain blue-ray/HD - DVD for me please ! I know that in the US you have High Definition TV which we in the United Kingdom do not yet have, I presume that HD -DVD is something to do with that?

I'm glad that, as yet they haven't done a Snow White sequel ( you know the kind of thing... as she fell off the cliff, the witch caught a branch on the way down and climbed back up to wreak yet further havoc etc!!) I sincerely hope that they never do a sequel, most of the attempts have been horrendous!! I wonder, however, when/if they will ever clean up the original Soup Eating sequence and add colour and backgrounds etc? It would be very interesting to see it as a finished animation sequence, but it should never be added to the actual movie!!

As an avid movie buff ( of the older classic movies that is ), isn't it absolutely marvellous how the classics of the golden age of Hollywood can now be digitally given a totally new lease of life?

Last edited by Deco King; 10-07-04 at 05:33 AM.
Old 10-09-04, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: Hope that they never NEVER do a Snow White sequel!!

Originally posted by Deco King
As I am a bit of a technical ignoramus can you explain blue-ray/HD - DVD for me please ! I know that in the US you have High Definition TV which we in the United Kingdom do not yet have, I presume that HD -DVD is something to do with that?
Fairly simply, blu-ray or HD-DVD is the next generation of home entertainment. Much like DVD, but with discs that can hold more information, thus allowing for better transfers, better soud, more extras, etc...

While DVD is great, HD television sets have the capacity to broadcast at an even higher resolution (HDTV broadcasts usually take advantage of this) than DVD offers.
Old 10-10-04, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Snow White won't need another home video until the next format. The current DVD is 99.99% flawless (I spotted some noise in the opening "book" shot and one instance of color jumping, but that's it).
Old 10-13-04, 07:28 AM

Yes I agree that with current technology the DVD of Snow White is great and quite the best the movie has ever looked thus far but the quest always goesn to improve on perfection!