Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Friday the 13th box set REVIEW!!!

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Friday the 13th box set REVIEW!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-04, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So the picture quality is worse and the first film is cut but cut in a different way to the original release.

Bizarre!

Think I'll be sticking with my individual R2 UK releases (especially since Part 1 is uncut).
Old 09-20-04, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have no idea why there is this thread when another thread with the exact same info & link already exists. But here is what I posted in that thread . . .

"I'm going to definitely have to pass on this box set despite wanting it sooo bad.

The latest issue of Rue Morgue, by far the best horror magazine being published, bashes this box set, b/c it doesn't have the uncut version of the original movie, which has been available over seas for years, also there there is a lot more footage & extras that can & should be in this box set that are not there, likely for a future release.

The latest Fangoria as well, also says, that individual re-releaeses of all the movies with the additional material is also very likely in the future.

That's two places that both say the same thing, so I'll definitely be holding off on this one."
Old 09-21-04, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I'll buy this if the price is cheap enough (I won't spend over $50 on it)

Something tells me we never will see uncut versions from Paramount, so this is better then nothing.
Old 09-21-04, 01:10 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Sessa17
I have no idea why there is this thread when another thread with the exact same info & link already exists. But here is what I posted in that thread . . .

"I'm going to definitely have to pass on this box set despite wanting it sooo bad.

The latest issue of Rue Morgue, by far the best horror magazine being published, bashes this box set, b/c it doesn't have the uncut version of the original movie, which has been available over seas for years, also there there is a lot more footage & extras that can & should be in this box set that are not there, likely for a future release.

The latest Fangoria as well, also says, that individual re-releaeses of all the movies with the additional material is also very likely in the future.

That's two places that both say the same thing, so I'll definitely be holding off on this one."
yeah go figure why Paramount can't work out with Warner's to release the uncut print of Part 1

The Fango news is also a headscratcher as well, so... if we all buy the box sets, then Paramount releases the films individually, hmmm, me think not... holding off buying these sound like the best bet for me.
Old 09-21-04, 02:17 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I really don't think we will EVER get uncut movies. Regardless if there overseas, they will just NOT come out in America. I
m a big fan, and can deal with that, so I will be buying the boxset.
Old 09-21-04, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Interesting how the review mentions several times that Part 3 was done in 3-D, but does not specifically say if it's presented in 3-D on the set. I'm guessing it's not, though it was available in field-sequential 3-D in the 1980's in Japan on the defunct VHD videodisc format. I have a badly-recorded DVD of it that works fine with the 3-D glasses setup that came with the "Ultimate 3-D Horror Collection" set here in the US- the only titles that are available legitimately on DVD that work with these glasses are 5 IMAX films, then a few cheap shot-on-video horror movies done with some sort of 3-D video camera adaptor, and some old 2-D public-domain flicks (like Little Shop Of Horrors and Night Of The Living Dead) processed into fake 3-D- haven't seen any of those but I've heard they're awful. Huge shame there isn't more material out to take advantage of this 3-D system.
To be fair though, 2-D prints of this were made for drive-ins, as they can't show 3-D. Still a huge missed opportunity though, and not sure if I'll be picking this up.
Old 09-22-04, 03:23 PM

That's okay with me. I saw Part 3 in 3-D four different times (and at different theaters) and the 3-D never worked for me. Whenever something came at me, it'd make my eyes cross and the image would spit in two. Only the opening titles displayed a true 3-D image that looked as though you could reach out and touch it. The rest was hard to focus on: esp. the popcorn Chuck is making - the frame around the image ruined this shot as the popcorn isn't contained well enough to focus on. The yo-yo was annoying and the eyeball scene didn't work for me either. Besides the few things that are directed at the viewer, the rest looked like an ordinary flat 2-D image. There was no depth to the picture.
A non 3-D dvd is fine with me.
Old 09-22-04, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
It's really a pointless movie without the 3-D- there's tons of shots that are obviously done just to exploit the 3-D effect that look silly without it. The effects on the 3-D copy I have look good for the most part.
Old 09-26-04, 12:21 PM

Anybody know where I can get the uncut versions? Link?
Old 09-26-04, 01:39 PM
Banned

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=212151

Here's a more detailed review of the set. A long read but very much worth it.