Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Videodrome" Criterion...if I don't really like Cronenberg, will I like this?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

"Videodrome" Criterion...if I don't really like Cronenberg, will I like this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I get what you're saying Renaldow, and I wish I had the money to purchase every DVD of every movie I wanted to see. I don't know where I'd store them all, but if I had that kinda money I guess I could also purchase some sort of storage facility.

But if you're not flush with piles of excess cash and are into watching lots and lots and lots of movies, including ones that you've never seen and might not ever want to see again, then you'd do well to consider these recommendations for the least expensive/most efficient means to do so.

And now a brief, somewhat unrelated tangent: I was just reading a thread about DVD Talkers "fessing up" to owning piles and piles of unopened, unwatched discs, and spending more time on purchases than actually watching films... and it's like a frickin' support group! If this describes you, don't fool yourself: you're not into film; you're into compulsive consumerism. It's a pathology you share with the ladies who spend all day and night glue'd to QVC, clutching their remaining non maxed-out credit cards. It's certainly not indicative of film-buffness. The "thrill of the purchase" for some of these folks provides a spark that's not otherwise available in their lives, but for most I think it starts as a real interest in something (say, film), but that initial interest mutates into what I call "the collector's mentality" where the thrill of the transaction and satisfaction of material ownership take the place of the original interest. Consider music lovers who become "record collectors", never ever removing the shrinkwrap from their precious vinyl trophies, much less placing needle in groove (those grooves wear down with every play!). They end up with a pile of records, but they aren't listening to the music.
Old 09-01-04, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Richard Malloy
But if you're not flush with piles of excess cash and are into watching lots and lots and lots of movies, including ones that you've never seen and might not ever want to see again, then you'd do well to consider these recommendations for the least expensive/most efficient means to do so.
No argument there, companies like Netflix make more sense than a premium cable channel. As you've shown you can burn through many movies quickly and cheaply.

Originally posted by Richard Malloy
And now a brief, somewhat unrelated tangent: I was just reading a thread about DVD Talkers "fessing up" to owning piles and piles of unopened, unwatched discs, and spending more time on purchases than actually watching films... and it's like a frickin' support group! If this describes you, don't fool yourself: you're not into film; you're into compulsive consumerism.
Yes, very true. It's like the old libraries you'll see in homes that haven't had a book cracked in years. If you're buying a lot of movies often, you always have something in the hopper ready to watch. But if you just keep buying and buying, without the watching; or worse yet buying something you know that you don't like because it's cheap, then there's definitely a problem or a disconnect somewhere with what you're actually trying to accomplish.

I tried reading that thread, I couldn't make it through most of it.
Old 09-01-04, 06:59 PM

Richard Malloy is right. How do I know this? It's because I am guilty as charged. The fact that I don't have a clue who Cronenberg is and I read this whole thread has convinced me that I need to spend more time watching movies and less time at DVDTALK.COM. I going to try to talk the wife into watching Lawrence of Arabia with me instead of being at dvdtalk for the next 2 hours and have her O.D. on more episodes of Law and Order on TnT. Peace out!
Old 09-01-04, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
Serpentine. And Haiku.
Woods runs a station
Weird, eerie, pervy TV
VCR stomach
Old 09-02-04, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Geez - Reading this thread is like buying something at Best Buy. Enough with the netflix talk!

...Oh, ok. One question: Let's say he did sign up for netflix tomorrow. Videodrome is a new release. How long do you think he'd have to wait before it showed up in his mailbox? I haven't been a member in a long time & have no idea how many copies they might have.

Richard, I'd bet there are a few people who would be just as critical of someone who watched dozens & dozens of movies that didn't "merit multiple viewings" as you are of someone who hasn't seen certain movies, doesn't rent, and/or buys more DVDs than you.

Scott, I think you can tell this is a tough call. It's very possible you will like it. Being such a unique movie with little to compare to & such a pricey set, makes it tough to recommend. I probably shouldn't be replying because I'm not very familiar with the film. I saw it once maybe a dozen years ago one rainy Friday night as part of a double feature with The Hitcher on WSBK. Even edited for tv, it was a powerful & haunting film. I actually bought the barebones version RIGHT BEFORE the Criterion was announced. I never opened it. Once I have the spare cash, I do plan to purchase, open, & enjoy the Criterion set. I have a feeling it'll hold up well.
Old 09-02-04, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Lokimok
Geez - Reading this thread is like buying something at Best Buy. Enough with the netflix talk!

No kidding - you'd swear some of you guys work for netflix.

On topic, personally I'd stay away from buying it if I were you. I really can't stand Cronenberg myself, including Dead Ringers and The Fly (geesh, the original owns this), and really wouldn't spend money on any of his stuff besides possibly Dead Zone or Spider.

You asked my opinion!
Old 09-02-04, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I bought it yesterday, and Scott, you need to go buy this. Even if you don't end up liking this movie so much it's worth watching it once and owning the DVD. I usually don't care much for packaging, but this one is just plain cool. It's a 2 disc keep case that looks like a bootleg betamax copy of Videodrome (the one from the movie, not the movie it's named for.)
Old 09-02-04, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Do not buy Videodrome. You will not like it.

Oh yeah, and you should get Netflix!
Old 09-02-04, 01:32 PM

Videodrome is quintessential Cronenberg. If you generally don't like Cronenberg, you almost certainly won't like Videodrome.
Old 09-02-04, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Woods runs a station
Weird, eerie, pervy TV
VCR stomach
Old 09-02-04, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by aspikes
I going to try to talk the wife into watching Lawrence of Arabia with me instead of being at dvdtalk for the next 2 hours and have her O.D. on more episodes of Law and Order on TnT.
2 hours, huh? Well, you'll see half of it.
Old 09-03-04, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Josh Z
2 hours, huh? Well, you'll see half of it.
Old 09-03-04, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
You know, butter.
Old 09-05-04, 06:33 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Originally posted by renaldow
I bought it yesterday, and Scott, you need to go buy this. Even if you don't end up liking this movie so much it's worth watching it once and owning the DVD. I usually don't care much for packaging, but this one is just plain cool. It's a 2 disc keep case that looks like a bootleg betamax copy of Videodrome (the one from the movie, not the movie it's named for.)
ren..thanks for sticking up for me and you did get my point exactly. now, with your purchase, you have me thinking again and will prob get it. the one sticking point was that packaging i heard so much about and i do like the cool ones and i can just put with other crits and who knows i may even LIKE IT!!!
which is what the underlying point of this thread was in the first place until it got all convuluted and twisted up. anyway, i got some paypal stashed away and have enuf for this and star wars so i think a purchase is eminent. thanks to all, sincerely! all of this stuff was exactly what i was looking for sans netflix stuff, but we won't bring up that again!!! also, ren...are you a Cronenberg fan and liked his others? i don't think you mentioned that preference in earlier posts. just wondering.
Psychedelic

Last edited by OldBoy; 09-05-04 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-06-04, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looking forward to hearing what you think, Scott!
Old 09-07-04, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by scott1598
also, ren...are you a Cronenberg fan and liked his others? i don't think you mentioned that preference in earlier posts. just wondering.
Not really, not that I have anything against the guy. Generally I watch something for the movie first, actors second, and director/producer/writer third. I had to go to IMDB to see all the movies he made, and I will say I liked the ones I've seen.

There are only a handful of filmmakers that make movies I consider to be 'must sees' on their merit alone. Off the top of my head and in no order: Lars Von Trier, Terry Gilliam, Akira Kurosawa, Luc Besson and M. Night Shyamalan. An admittedly strange mix.

There are many more that will raise my attention and make me think, 'hey, that's probably going to be pretty good,' but that's mainly because they seem to have a higher standard than most, or have proven they have a somewhat unique twist on things. The Coen brothers or Quentin Tarentino would be a good example of this.

So, when I was posting before it wasn't as a Cronengberg fan, it was as a fan of the movie. Which you should get, watch it once, wait awhile, watch it again, and wait awhile again then watch it. Even if you hate the first 2 viewings, I'm giving you a 75% chance of loving the 3rd.

This is one of the reasons I'll buy over renting; some movies need to be seen 3 times to either fully appreciate or dismiss altogether. I don't know what my movie tastes would be like if I didn't do that.
Old 09-07-04, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got my copy of "Videodrome" and watched it this weekend... phenomenal! I was constantly surprised at just how good this movie looks and sounds, and how well the subject matter has held up.

I also listened to the director/cinematographer commentary and the first half of the actors' commentary, and both are absolutely top-notch. Cronenberg is, as always, focused and articulate. I've found his commentaries to be among the best of the director variety (Soderbergh, Minghella, Scorsese also tend to be very good IMO). James Woods' effort is also quite good, and he seems surprisingly familiar and fluent in the themes of the film even after all these years. Not at all one of those "first time I've seen it in ages... what's going on here?" yak-tracks. Quite in-depth, and, like Cronenberg, quite articulate and focused. Deborah Harry has just a bit less to add, but is nonetheless very engaging and interesting. She acknowledges her amateur status as an actor, and understands full-well the persona she was bringing to the role and why Cronenberg wanted her. She's an astute, culturally aware person, which should come as no surprise to those who've followed her career even a little bit. In fact, the next day I dug out my DCC gold disc of Blondie's "Parallel Lines" and reminded myself what a brilliant album that is, start to finish... and it is absolutely brilliant, and holds up every bit as well as "Videodrome"!

I feel like I've spent a lot of time with this film over the weekend, though I've still got some actors' commentary, the short film "Camera", and the entirety of disc 2 to take in. So far, this easily ranks as one of the best special editions I've seen this year. As for the subject of this thread, namely whether to buy the disc, I say go for it. It's got an immense rewatchability factor, and excels in all areas: film quality, audio-video quality, in-depth and meaningful extras, appealing/interesting packaging. I suppose this film won't appeal to some, and obviously it didn't appeal to everyone back when it was released, but if you're one to take big chances on blind-buys, I say go for it. Especially if that's the only way you'll ever see this film. If you don't like it, big deal I guess... more profit to help Criterion to continue their good work!
Old 09-12-04, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Woods runs a station
Weird, eerie, pervy TV
VCR stomach
S&M channel
Harry in a hot red dress
Fall into TV

Notice the classical inclusion of a seasonal theme via the clever double entendre.
Old 09-15-04, 01:15 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
well, i got it glad to say. haven't watched it yet, but the packaging is just awesome! one of the creative and best ever anyone?
Old 09-15-04, 04:23 PM

I didn't care for Dead Ringers very much at all...barely remember it...The Fly was just a tad better.

But, I loved Videodrome as a kid, and young adult, and am looking forward to seeing the unedited version. It is a bit pricey, but I think they did an excellent job on the packaging, from when i handled it at the store last night.

There are certain movies that just creep me out, and leave a lasting impression in my mind. Especially from when I was younger. The Thing, The Changelling, Mullholland Drive (more recently), Dawn of the dead (well at least the first time), and many more.

Video drome was also one of those movies that just creeped me out. And I loved it. In some ways, the storyline reminds me a bit of The Ring, well at least the first 1/2 of the ring.

And anything that comes out of your TV does as well (ala Demons 2)....

My recommendation is its definatally worth watching. Try and rent it...if you love it, get the critereon edition. If you just like it, buy the regular edition. If you hate it, then you are just out the couple bucks for a rental.

I'll be buying the criterean edition soon enough. Just looking around for the best deal.
Old 09-16-04, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by scott1598
well, i got it glad to say. haven't watched it yet, but the packaging is just awesome! one of the creative and best ever anyone?
Watch it and let us know what you think!
Old 09-17-04, 01:21 PM

hmm, i bought this last night, and was dissapointed after i got home to find out it was in DD 1.0 mono? wow, 35 bucks for fancy packaging? I watched about half of it, but it was very late, so i went to bed. I sure hope the extra unedited scenes make up for it, otherwise I will have paid an extra 20 bucks for a fancy case. still a great movie, but i think critereon collection is making some big bucks off of movies these days.

The only thing i can think of as to why its in mono is they wanted to feel of the movie in respects to the crappy satallite pirate transmissions, etc., so that is barely exceptable, if i think about it that way.
Old 09-17-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
The original soundtrack is mono. That's the way it was in theaters. I think the DVD preserves the presentation expertly.
Old 09-17-04, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by TommyMc
The only thing i can think of as to why its in mono is they wanted to feel of the movie in respects to the crappy satallite pirate transmissions, etc., so that is barely exceptable, if i think about it that way.
The movie was a low-budget Canadian production from 1983. If you were expecting a zinging rock 'em sock 'em DTS 6.1 soundtrack, you're watching the wrong movie.
Old 09-17-04, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

hmm, i bought this last night, and was dissapointed after i got home to find out it was in DD 1.0 mono? wow, 35 bucks for fancy packaging? I watched about half of it, but it was very late, so i went to bed. I sure hope the extra unedited scenes make up for it, otherwise I will have paid an extra 20 bucks for a fancy case.
Sucker!

Obviously, I couldn't disagree more with your assessment, which is both wrong-headed and indicative of having no idea whatsoever regarding an item you're laying down long green for, but I'm glad you contributed to the Criterion coffers so that those of us who appreciate a great release like "Videodrome" can expect many more to come!

PS: those extended scenes? Available on every home video release of "Videodrome" since the VHS days!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.