Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Alien/Aliens DVD Version Recommendations?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 07-14-04, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I want to get both Alien and Aliens on DVD.

What are the best DVD versions of these two movies?

I see my options as:

1) Buy the Alien Quadrilogy set

2) Buy both of the individual Alien and Aliens 2-disk releases

3) Buy a used copy of the Alien Legacy set

My initial reaction was to just buy the Quadrilogy set but it's fairly expensive, even used, and I just did *not* like the 3rd and 4th films.

The Legacy set has the same 3rd and 4th film drawback but used copies of it can be found pretty cheap.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Bob
Old 07-14-04, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts
Invest in the Quadrilogy...you'll be glad you did. I gave away my "Legacy" set because the Quadilogy was a vast improvement.
Old 07-14-04, 01:21 PM

Thanks so much Shannon.

What are your feelings about the 3rd and 4th installments of the series as presented in Quadrilogy? I really didn't like those two in the original released versions.

Bob
Old 07-14-04, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Both the individual Alien and Aliens 2-disk releases are available through Columbia House. That would be the cheapest way to go.

I have the Quadrilogy and I think the 3rd and 4th films are not as bad as some people try to make them out to be.
Old 07-14-04, 01:53 PM

fryinpan1,

Thanks for the advice. I've never used Columbia House. If I go with the individual releases, I'll take a closer look at that option.

Regarding the 3rd and 4th films--> In my case, it might be that I like the first two films so much that the last two were a disappointment by comparision.

Bob

Originally posted by fryinpan1
Both the individual Alien and Aliens 2-disk releases are available through Columbia House. That would be the cheapest way to go.

I have the Quadrilogy and I think the 3rd and 4th films are not as bad as some people try to make them out to be.
Old 07-14-04, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm still not crazy about 3 or 4, but at least you get to see a totally different version of 3 with the Quadrilogy, and some neat extras on 4 as well (including a cool opening credit sequence). Plus the extras are just out of this world on the Quadrilogy set...they make the investment worthwhile. Just plan to take a couple of weekends off to watch it all!
Old 07-14-04, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the quadrilogy. 3 is vastly improved with all the extra footage. It is almost a new film. 4 is about the same, either you like it or you don't. The cool thing is that the collection is packed to the gills with interesting extras. You will spend days exploring the franchise. Also the video/audio is very good in the set too. Money well spent. Hunt around, you might be able to pick it up used on Ebay or a Pawn shop or something.
Old 07-14-04, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought the quadrilogy and regret it. I never considered films 3 and 4 to be mediocre, but the quality of those two films are light years away from Alien and Aliens. If I could go back in time I'd just purchase films 1 and 2 and be done with it.
Old 07-15-04, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't forget the 9th disc on the Quadrilogy, which ISN'T available in the single DVD versions:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=8575
Old 07-15-04, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just rewatched Alien last night and am astounded by how good it looks and sounds. I still think the Quadrilogy is the way to go. It isn't that much more than buying the two first movies singly and you get all the cool extras.
Old 07-15-04, 02:53 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Here's another question, how do the Alien and Aliens versions compare between the Legacy set and the current 2-disc sets for each? (I can find the Legacy sets pretty cheap.)

And no, I haven't ruled out the Quadrilogy set yet.

Bob

Last edited by Bob_F1; 07-15-04 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-16-04, 07:46 AM

Bob - You have to go with the Quadrilogy Set. The Legacy set is 5 years old now for a reason. The video improves on all 4 movies (massive improvement on Alien) and the audio improves on all but Aliens (probably small improvement there as well) with the Quad set. If you have a home theatre setup then you MUST GO WITH THE QUAD. If you aren't a home theatre buff and use a 27 inch TV or so, then you can make a better case for the Legacy set.
You get more special features than any other boxset ever released with the Quad set. The Alien Quad 9 disc set is regularly listed as one of the very best boxset releases of all time. It deserves it. The Legacy set is fine and I owned one for years, but the Quad set is of no comparison. Far, far better in every respect (only small loss is a nice Ridley Scott solo commentary from the Legacy set).
Old 07-16-04, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by johnglad
The Legacy set is 5 years old now for a reason.
That reason being that it was released more than 4 years ago and less than 6.

If you like bonus stuff, you have to go for the set. At a couple hours per night, roughly 5 nights a week, it took me 6 weeks to get through all the bonus stuff! And unlike most discs, 95% of it was really, really great.
Old 07-17-04, 12:56 PM

Thanks for everyone's advice!

Bob
Old 07-17-04, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

if you didn't like A3 & 4 before- i don't think their presentations in the Quad set will alter your opinion any.

it sure hasn't mine.
in fact, i used to be mildly ambivilent on the last film.
i thought i somewhat enjoyed it on my lone theatrical viewing of it, but came away actually hating it after watching it again.

the sole reason a fan of the first two/dismisser of the last two would have for buying the Quad is the last disc.
a direct port over of all the rest of the material that was found on the first two films laserdisc sets (rendering those once $100 collectors sets completely worthless now).
the vintage '79 featurette i was so hot to see actually wasn't anything to get excited about and i doubt i will ever watch it again- however that 9th disc does contain another early, excellant alternate trailer for the original film (the main difference being a voice over "a word of warning...") that i had never seen before.

if i hadn't been so eager to get my hands on the refurb'd original as soon as i possibly could, i would have been quite contented with the two single discs.

i agree that CH is your best option here.
you will be able to get those two films you really want plus about 5 more movies for the (discounted) price you would pay on the Quad set
Old 07-19-04, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Quadrilogy is the greatest dvd set ever.
Old 07-19-04, 11:12 AM

ARG! You folks are just like the voices in my head.

Just when I convinced myself to buy the 2 disc versions of the first two movies, Lara notes that "The Quadrilogy is the greatest dvd set ever."

Bob
Old 07-19-04, 01:42 PM

Go with the separate 2 disc sets. You can get them from columbia house which makes them very inexpensive. Why buy the quadrilogy that includes 2 movies you wont watch or wont enjoy watching?
Old 07-19-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Get the two discers... And pick up Alien 3 while you're at it if you're going the CH route (it's worth a spin again - always underappreciated - especially with the extra footage and the extras). No need for the quad, the 4th film is dreck and the packaging is suck... Yeah, you get an extra disc full of extras, no biggie (unless you require even more extras than are included with the two disc sets).
Old 07-19-04, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sure, the 4th film sucks, but it's still worth getting the quadrilogy just to have the complete tetralogy (NOT quadrilogy, like the dumb name says) and the 9th bonus disc has some cool features.
Old 07-19-04, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd vote for the 2 disc sets. If you have a burning desire to check out Alien 3 and 4 again, you can rent them or buy those individually later.
Old 07-20-04, 01:21 AM
Cool New Member

I contemplated the same thing you did and went with the 2-Disc sets. I went the CH route and got them for around $7.50 each. The Quadrilogy (tetralogy is the correct term, but it doesn't roll of the tongue quite like Quadrilogy does) would have set me back about $60. I doubt that I would ever watch the 3rd and 4th films again and I don't really care for watching extras all that much. I would rather spend my time watching other movies. Unless you want to get the Quadrilogy as a collector's item then I would just go with the first two movies.
Old 07-20-04, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So Bob, What are you going to do?
Old 07-20-04, 11:21 AM

I think I'll buy both the Quadrilogy set and each of the two disc versions. It's the only way to be sure.

Bob

Originally posted by MEJHarrison
So Bob, What are you going to do?
Old 07-20-04, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Bob_F1
I think I'll buy both the Quadrilogy set and each of the two disc versions. It's the only way to be sure.

Bob
Don't forget to go ahead and buy the Alien Legacy too just in case. Spending more money on DVDs is always a good thing. And if anything, you can pad your overall DVD count!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.