DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Blake's 7?

Old 06-14-04, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blake's 7?

I was thinking of spending some birthday money on the R2 season 1 set of Blake's 7.

It would essentially be a blind buy, though. I remember seeing some of it as a kid and liking it, but I'm in the US so I can't easily rent any episodes before buying.

Some of my (I think) relevant tastes:
I love Firefly.
I love most of Babylon 5.
I quite like Farscape.
I enjoy The Tomorrow People and Doctor Who (sometimes on an ironic/cheesy level).
I like ST:TNG and DS9.

Am I likely to enjoy Blake's 7, and why or why not? Thanks for recommendations pro or con.
Old 06-14-04, 10:00 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

If you liked
Firefly and the other series mentioned, you'll probably love Blake's 7. I'm a big enough fan that I bought the tapes for the entire series and have contemplated getting the region 2 DVDs. The show is dark and pessimistic in a way only the British seem to be able to pull off successfully but I really wanted a sequel to be filmed. I used to watch the show on PBS when attending graduate school in the 80's and wished it were getting a domestic release. For the record, the writing was virtually ALWAYS better than the Star Trek shows mentioned.
Old 06-15-04, 07:01 AM

I think you've at least sold me a copy of season 1. Thanks for the opinion.
Old 06-18-04, 02:36 AM

Once you get into it, Think of Season One as a thirteen hour set up. There are some great episodes but, season two is fantastic and Season One is just defining the characters and their relationships.
Old 06-18-04, 07:49 AM

Originally posted by manicmyk1
Once you get into it, Think of Season One as a thirteen hour set up. There are some great episodes but, season two is fantastic and Season One is just defining the characters and their relationships.
Hm, a bit like Babylon 5's first season, then. I'm ordering it today or tomorrow, depending on an ebay auction....
Old 06-18-04, 02:14 PM

I'd recommend it as well. Also, for anyone looking to pick it up, CD Wow has it for £19.99, well below what I've seen it for elsewhere.