Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Quandary over Escaflowne: the Series

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-04, 08:21 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having been recently smitten with ESCAFLOWNE: The Movie, I am now considering the series. Given that I highly enjoy the movie, I am wondering if the series is worth my time. I want to get some solid adivce before I make my choice of whether or not to buy the whole series in DVD. That said, I invite anyone who has watched the series and the movie to let me know what they think of the television series in relation to the movie.
Old 05-24-04, 12:48 AM

I have watched both the movie and the series, and I am highly surprised that you have enjoyed the movie as much as you did. The movie is basically the whole 26 episode series compressed into whatever the running time is on the movie. The movie also has a darker tone, the story is somewhat different, and certain characters are portrayed differently when compared to the series. The way the Escaflowne series was made, you don't need to see one in order to understand the other, they were planned to be two separate entities. Sort of like the X TV series and the X1999 movie.

Anyways, I prefer the series way more than the movie. What you get in the series that could not be offered in the movie is excellent character development, a well written story regarding fantasy, love, betrayal, friendship, and tragedy. Along with the excellent story you get some cool action scenes with the Guymelefs. I remember when Escaflowne first came out on video in the US, the animtation was so ahead of its time, and I felt that it kind of raised the bar on animation during that time. WIth what I just stated, Vision of Escaflowne is definitely in my top 3 anime series that I have ever seen. Assuming 26 episode series don't bother you that much along with the fact that you like the movie, I have a feeling that you may enjoy the series.
Old 05-25-04, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Escaflowne is a quality show, and often overlooked amidst all te releases these days. It was worth my $130 for the LE, and now that the discs can be found cheaper, it's definitely worth it.!

I personally found the movie OK - although I would have enjoyed it more had I seen it first. Compared to the series it is a pale reflection.
Old 05-26-04, 06:57 AM
Defunct Account

I agree with the other posters. Spring for the series. It's well worth watching.