Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Last Samurai, good blind buy?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-04, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone think this is a good blind buy or just worth a rental?
Old 04-21-04, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it was very very good. I'd give it maybe an 8 or 9 out of 10 for a rating. If you enjoy war epics and maybe some samurai, you should get a kick out of this one. And from what I understand, there's a good amount of extras. So.... yes.
Old 04-21-04, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Based on your other dvds, I would recommend this title highly.
Old 04-22-04, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have to say that i find myself agreeing with a lot of the reviews i have read for the film....all in all an excellent and very enjoyable film which is let down slightly at the end by the typical Hollywood cliched ending.
Having said that this shouldn't deter you from including it in your collection...from what i gather the DVD is of a high standard also.
Old 04-22-04, 08:41 AM

When I went to see this in the theatres, I was not so sure (not a big Tom Cruise fan). I was surprised when I felt that this movie was very well done. Again if you like movies with samurai or war style epics then this movie is a good pick up. I would give it at 8.5 out of 10 if I had to rate it. There is a review up now on the main page too.

This is one of 4 DVDs I am waiting for this year, May 4th can not come soon enough.
Old 04-22-04, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good blind buy, most definitely. I thought it was a fine film, loved the whole thing. Then again, I am a fan of Edward Zwick (especially Glory, Legends of the Fall, and Courage Under Fire).
Old 04-22-04, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,923 Likes on 2,799 Posts
Awesome movie!! If you enjoyed any of Ed Zwick's films then you will definitely enjoy this one.
Old 04-22-04, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tom Cruise seems a little out of place for this role, but he does carry himself surprisingly well. The story itself is great, and moves at a decent pace. The action in the movie is fantastic, as is the cinematography.
Old 04-23-04, 06:38 PM

Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise in every movie. Sadly, I don't think it's something he can overcome, even though I like him as an actor. That said, the movie is excellent visiually and carries through with decent plot and writing.

Hiring actual Japanese actors to play the Japanese roles, rather than American-born Japanese or other Asian ethinicity actors trying to fake a Japanese accent lent to this story's credibility. Ken Watanbe was exceptional and was nominated for an Academy Award for his performance in a supporting role. One of the biggest test of epics like this is its feel of authenticity. The Last Samurai looks and feels authentic and believable.

A very enjoyable viewing experience.

-NHN
Old 04-24-04, 12:38 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For a Tom Cruise movie, this is pretty good. I went in with low expectations and found it quite enjoyable. I'm going to pick it up.
Old 04-28-04, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

IMO this was one of the top 5 films of 2003.
Old 04-28-04, 03:03 PM

IMO this movie was a beautifully shot pile of crap with good lead performances. It basically has all the ingredients of a good epic with one (crippling) exception: the story. The story was pure dreck, and I left the theater very disappointed. 5/10
Old 04-28-04, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 194 Posts
I thought the "White guy must save backwards foreigners from themselves, and maybe learn something about himself in the process" genre died out sometime after Dances With Wolves. I guess not.
Old 04-28-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I think you're being a little unfair, Josh Z. Although Samurai bears an uncanny resemblance to Dances With Wolves, neither film portrays the respective foreign cultures as "backwards", IMO. You're forgetting that their characters embrace these new cultures, and don't attempt to "save them from themselves".
Old 04-28-04, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hate the white man. I command it.
Old 04-29-04, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by Randy Miller III
I think you're being a little unfair, Josh Z. Although Samurai bears an uncanny resemblance to Dances With Wolves, neither film portrays the respective foreign cultures as "backwards", IMO. You're forgetting that their characters embrace these new cultures, and don't attempt to "save them from themselves".
He may not save them from themselves, but he does befriend them, master their language, master the art of fighting with their swords, win the love of a woman (whose husband he killed) all in the space of a (estimated) five-month period while recuperating from serious injury. All hail the white man!
Old 04-29-04, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by proddy
He may not save them from themselves, but he does befriend them, master their language, master the art of fighting with their swords, win the love of a woman (whose husband he killed) all in the space of a (estimated) five-month period while recuperating from serious injury. All hail the white man!
It's very true that viewers must check common sense at the door in that regard (and this is perhaps the weakest aspect of the film), but my argument was that Cruise's character didn't reject this new culture.
Old 04-29-04, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by RyoHazuki
Hate the white man. I command it.
Old 04-29-04, 03:17 PM

It's very true that viewers must check common sense at the door in that regard (and this is perhaps the weakest aspect of the film), but my argument was that Cruise's character didn't reject this new culture.
I would agree.

In fact, I pose the argument that not only did Cruise not reject the Japanese culture and the way of the Samurai, but that those ideologies became his salvation. Lest I remind you that Cruise's character was a drunkard full of self-loathing and contempt that resorted to being paraded around at "shows" like a circus attraction, before he embraced the way of the Samurai.

-NHN
Old 04-30-04, 09:10 AM

No argument here.
Old 04-30-04, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Absolutely!
Old 05-02-04, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It was an enjoyable movie, though the ending was atrocious.
Old 05-02-04, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by silentbob007
It was an enjoyable movie, though the ending was atrocious.
Just curious, but why did you find the ending atrocious?
Old 05-03-04, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just watched this blind, and Loved it. it was great.... Highly recommended
Old 05-03-04, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by REL77
I just watched this blind, and Loved it. it was great.... Highly recommended
I take the sound was really good?

Sorry, I was bored.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.