Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Stupids'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-04, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read John Sinnott's DVD review of The Stupids at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=9223 and...

you forgot to mention if this disc is anamorphic? This is a personal guilty pleasure, and New Line very rarely puts out a full frame only release.
Old 01-24-04, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw this in his review about FULL FRAME question:

"Video:

I was afraid that this was going to be a full frame disc. Children’s movies (or movies the studio execs think are for children) often get the pan and scan treatment. I was stunned to see that you have your choice of widescreen or full frame video! I viewed the 1.85:1 widescreen version, and the picture quality was very good."
Old 01-24-04, 03:18 PM
Defunct Account

Yes, it is anamorphic! Sorry I forgot to put that in, I'll edit the review.

I wasn't sure who put it out (and too lazy to look ot up.) The test disc I received came in a blank jewel case with no artwork on the disc, just the title and "Region 1." When I popped it in I was very fearful that it would be P&S.

-John Sinnott
Old 01-24-04, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by videophile
Yes, it is anamorphic! Sorry I forgot to put that in, I'll edit the review.

I wasn't sure who put it out (and too lazy to look ot up.) The test disc I received came in a blank jewel case with no artwork on the disc, just the title and "Region 1." When I popped it in I was very fearful that it would be P&S.

-John Sinnott
Curious that you would be, though, as New Line has never released an exclusively fullscreen disc. The studios that might've pulled this with THE STUPIDS are Columbia or Buena Vista.

Bill C
filmfreakcentral.net
Old 01-24-04, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Stupids got a highly recommended????? Boy, I never thought I'd see the day. The pigs should start flying right about now.
Old 01-25-04, 04:01 PM
Defunct Account

Originally posted by flmfreakcentral
Curious that you would be, though, as New Line has never released an exclusively fullscreen disc. The studios that might've pulled this with THE STUPIDS are Columbia or Buena Vista.

Bill C
You might not have read my entire post. I didn't know who put the DVD out. It was not marked with a studio. You are correct, that some companies do put out P&S titles and they do it more often with children's films. Hence my concern.
Old 01-25-04, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by videophile
You might not have read my entire post. I didn't know who put the DVD out. It was not marked with a studio. You are correct, that some companies do put out P&S titles and they do it more often with children's films. Hence my concern.
You're right, glazed over that part for some reason, although speaking as someone who receives a lot of screeners, New Line seems to be the only one in the habit of sending out check discs in jewel cases. Sorry 'bout that in any event.

Bill C
filmfreakcentral.net
Old 01-26-04, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Stupids got a highly recommended????? Boy, I never thought I'd see the day.
The Stupids is actually a pretty good children's film that both children and adults can enjoy (as mentioned in the DVD Talk review). IMO, it's John Landis' most underrated movie. It's too bad he had a difficult experience with New Line during the making of this film or we'd have a nice special edition DVD on our hands.
Old 01-26-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its basiclly stupid humor but more aimed at kids as there aren't many toilet or sex releated humor. and its got tom arnold in it.