Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

X-Files

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-04, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X-Files

ok, im stuck in a rut...so to speak....

ive got a decision to make lol

should i:

a) buy the boxsets 1 to 8

or

b) buy the dvd's that are out: Providence, The Truth, DeadAlive, Existence and Nothing Important Happened Today

help plz

G x
Old 01-20-04, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: X-Files

Originally posted by n0fear88

b) buy the dvd's that are out: Providence, The Truth, DeadAlive, Existence and Nothing Important Happened Today

Those are either bootlegs or dvds from another region because Region 1 only gets the season box sets.
Old 01-20-04, 09:34 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

region 2 i believe.

I own seasons 1 - 7, still debating if I should pick up 8 and 9 whenever it is released... the show in my opinion sort of went way downhill after season 4.

if you're a big fan and you frequently want to watch them... go for it. it's a bit pricey. I haven't watched any of the x-files dvds since may of last year when season 7 was released...

you could always just rent via netflix or walmart.. granted it will take forever to get all the disks, it could be cheaper in the long run...

but it really depends on how much YOU value being able to watch the X-Files on a whim. At a MSRP of 149.99 * 9 = 1349.91, but you'll most likely spend around 90 per season so that's still 810 bucks. Still quite a hefty sum.
Old 01-20-04, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They are great DVDs, but they are very exspensive. You should definitely own them, but don't buy them all at once. Try to find a good deal or coupon and get them individually, that's the only way it's affordable.
Old 01-21-04, 12:48 PM

Re: Re: X-Files

Originally posted by Robert
Those are either bootlegs or dvds from another region because Region 1 only gets the season box sets.
ya they are Region 2 (good ol UK lol)

and thanx everyone, ive been a mega fan for ages never missed an ep, but now i want em to own so yea ill buy maybe 1 box set a mth, startin in Feb

thanx again!

G x
Old 01-21-04, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
To start you off, I've just finished with Season One, which I'll gladly sell you.
Let me know if you're interested.

clappj
-Gold DVDTalk Trader
Old 01-21-04, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

buy the boxsets, and buy them used. do not support fox and the ridiculous MSRP that these sets carry.
Old 01-23-04, 10:38 PM

Seasons 1-7.... no 8
Old 01-24-04, 09:01 AM

yes but 8 will be out in the near future
Old 01-25-04, 08:25 PM

Actually, 8 is already out. It's the first season without David Duchovny though and I personally don't like the series without him.
Old 01-26-04, 04:37 AM

actually, season 8 doesnt come out in the UK till march i believe

i'm the same as u, x-files doesnt feel the same wivout Mulder in it, but i feel that Doggett adds a nice touch to the series but thats just my personal opinion hehe

G x
Old 01-26-04, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

SPOILER ALERT:

Once they put Dogget in there it was Bizarro world, i.e. Scully is the believer and Dogget is the sceptic. They just tossed Mulder, put Scully in his role and added Dogget as the 'new skeptic'. It was as if they went full circle with the series by adding a new character and flip flopping roles. I thought it was an interesting way to end the series but pretty disgraceful IMHO.

Not really a spoiler but did not want to ruin the experience for those who have not seen that Season.
Old 01-26-04, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I say buy the X Files sets used (i was able to get most of them for about $50 on ebay)...just dont buy the asian imports....i personally liked the eighth season, was different without Mulder, but i think Doggett stepped in as a nice change. The show, i thought, was still the same great X Files.
Old 01-26-04, 11:37 PM

I for one enjoy the x files, so much so I actully have all the seasons currently out, and am awaiting the 9th, especially since I haven't seen any of the episodes. I will agree with a lot of people when they say that the show went further down then it went up during the 7th and 8th season. However the show still had a lot of interesting episodes, and a little bit of twists. I feel that if you are a person who enjoys the x files you should consider on picking up the complete set.
Old 01-27-04, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought Season 8 was really good, but Season 9 was a complete disaster from beginning to end.
Old 01-27-04, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Lara Means
I thought Season 8 was really good, but Season 9 was a complete disaster from beginning to end.
Not only that, but the series finale is the single worst 2-hours of television I've ever agonized through in my life. What a disgrace the way Chris Carter drove this show to ruin.
Old 01-27-04, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by Josh Z
Not only that, but the series finale is the single worst 2-hours of television I've ever agonized through in my life. What a disgrace the way Chris Carter drove this show to ruin.
ouch...that seemed harsh

but everyone has their own opinions i guess

*to each their own*

thanks

G x
Old 01-28-04, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by n0fear88
ouch...that seemed harsh
Harsh, but 100% true.
Old 01-28-04, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I never saw any of the ninth season, i stopped after the eighth....when 9 does come out, should i skip it then?
Old 01-29-04, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Tony Dvdfan
I never saw any of the ninth season, i stopped after the eighth....when 9 does come out, should i skip it then?
That depends. On the one hand, if you've come this far there is a very strong impulse to "complete" the series.

On the other hand, Season 8 ends with an OK finale that would have been a halfway decent way to let the show go out. If you follow through to Season 9 you may just wind up hating the show and feeling like you wasted too much of your life watching 9 years worth of episodes for it all to amount to crap in the end.

If you're an X-Files fan, I can't tell you to not buy it. But consider yourself warned and try to set your expectations accordingly.
Old 01-29-04, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am a huge fan of the show. I own Seasons 1-7 but will buy 8 and 9. The "bizzaro" world with Scully as skeptic was strange but it was enjoyable. Season 9 was definitely the lowpoint of the series, but not HORRIBLE in my opinion. Now, the last episode though...that was aweful. As a fan of the series since the beginning, I found the last episode EXTREMELY disappointing...