Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Assassination Tango'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 12-29-03, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Don Houston's DVD review of Assassination Tango at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=8852 and...

This is no way a 1 star film... I'm not saying it's a good film (because it's clearly not), but this shouldn't be put down in the cellar amongst true 1 star films. The reviewer who wrote up this DVD has posted some shady, biased reviews in the past (to say the least). Just look at his reviews for the classic Indian films 'Pather Panchali' and 'Aparajito'. Or better yet you can read about how pissed DVDTALKERS were after reading them:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=326452

Any way, please don't let this unfortunate review discourage you from checking this film out. It's not anything wonderful or orginal, but I'd at least recommend it for a rental.
Old 12-29-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This situation continuous to puzzle me immensely- I wrote twice to Mr. Houston to express my opinion regarding not only his style (which clearly lacks direction) but also the openly unfriendly and biased manner with which he approaches foreign movies. Now, I suppose we have to add other local “favorites” that Mr. Houston finds not worthy enough for his noble taste.

I absolutely, 100%, agree with Helliosphan’s concern!! Assassination Tango is by no means a one star material. I have no doubts in my mind that this is a film far from being a cinematic disaster. I wonder what our reviewer would give Gigli?

As much as I try to respect other people’s opinion and therefore the variety of quality reviews we get on DVDTALK the situation with Mr. Houston and his constantly uneducated and more importantly misleading reviews is unacceptable.

After reading one of Mr. Houston’s recent reviews (Friday Night) in which he openly admits that he does not know anything about the director Claire Denis I was left to wonder why is it then that Mr. Houston insists on “reviewing” foreign films??? In another example, the most recent “reviews” of G. Muccino’s Last Kiss, Benoit Jacquot’s Sade, etc…are ALSO clearly films and directors he does not know anything about as well.

It is one thing to attempt to learn more about a certain genre, be interested in it. It is a completely different issue when someone decides to review and judge the artistic merit of a director, film, an entire genre, one knows nothing about.

As this is not the first time that members of the forum have felt that the reviews and comments left by Mr. Houston are misleading and insulting (please see the Apu Ttirlogy discussion) I would like to ask if there is anything in particular that could be done about this situation?

As Helliiosphan suggested I am willing to go the extra mile and make sure that Mr. Kleinman is aware of the situation unfolding here as the information/reviews provided by this reviewer continuously mislead anyone that might be interested in discovering something more than the mandatory Tuesday blockbuster.

Sincerely yours,
PB