Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

BTVS season 5 (R1)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
BTVS season 5 (R1)?

I see that DVDFile has only the region 2 review.Anyone have the R1 review?
Old 12-01-03, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
DVD Talk will as soon as I finish a few more paragraphs.
Old 12-01-03, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks.Is the widescreen version of Buffy really that much better than the full frame version?
Old 12-01-03, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

My meandering, rambling, unnecessarily lengthy review can be found at http://dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=8523
Old 12-01-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the creator Joss Weadon states that he prefers the full screen version.
Old 12-01-03, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent work, Adam.

'The Body' is without a doubt one of the finest hours of television ever, and anyone who remotely considers himself a fan of television or art in general who has not seen it is really doing himself a disservice. I like what you wrote about it. While I don't agree with all your thoughts (don't worry ... we're on the same page with 'Buffy vs. Dracula'), all-in-all it's a very solid review, and I appreciate the time you must have put into it.

That's really inexcuseable that they didn't include the "Previously on ..." montage for 'The Gift'. What possible explanation could they have for this glaring omission?

Anyway ... thank you.

das
Old 12-02-03, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally posted by das Monkey
Excellent work, Adam.
Thank you very much -- it's greatly appreciated.

While I don't agree with all your thoughts (don't worry ... we're on the same page with 'Buffy vs. Dracula'), all-in-all it's a very solid review, and I appreciate the time you must have put into it.
It definitely wasn't a short review to write. I do think it kind of runs all over and seems a little more negative than I intended, but...

I'd really like to hear yours -- and others -- thoughts on season five, and if there are any specific points in my review you'd like to touch on, I'd definitely encourage the discussion. I realize some of my opinions about season five aren't widely held, and I'm extremely interested in hearing more about how fans of the series respond to them. If the discussion occurs in another thread, I'd be willing to link to it in the review also.
Old 12-02-03, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How many of you in R1 bought the R2 and R4 BTVS season 5 and plan on skipping the R1 release for one reason-not widescreen.I for one bought R4.
Old 12-02-03, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by dvd-4-life
How many of you in R1 bought the R2 and R4 BTVS season 5 and plan on skipping the R1 release for one reason-not widescreen.I for one bought R4.
I bought R2 seasons 4-6 from DVD Zone 2 when they lowered their price to €49.99 a set minus VAT plus a very reasonable shipping fee. Regardless of what Joss Whedon says, the shows look great in 1.78:1 and I'm very pleased. On top of that, the "book" type packaging is just about the most attractive I've ever seen. I'm planning on buying the R2 season 7 when it is released.
Old 12-03-03, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Comment in the Season 5 Review

I know this might classify as nitpicking but I'm very fussy about definitions. You noted Buffy killed at least one Knight of Byzantium then took the saeries writers to task for a piece of dialog later where Giles states Buffy would never kill an innocent human. In the first place the Knights were seeking to kill Dawn and any of the others who got in their way, so Buffy's actions were self-defense and protection of victims. Secondly, given the Knights' motives, they hardly classify as innocent. So, that being the case, how does that contradict the later statement? I really can't see that it does. Basically it's a prime-time TV drama and 60s super-hero-comic-book codes don't apply.
Old 12-03-03, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Re: A Comment in the Season 5 Review

Originally posted by DaddyCatALSO
Basically it's a prime-time TV drama and 60s super-hero-comic-book codes don't apply.
I don't disagree at all, but Giles' statement would seem to suggest that those outdated codes do apply. Innocence doesn't factor into that conversation.

Ben: She could have killed me.
Giles: No, she couldn't -- never. And sooner or later, Glory will re-emerge and make Buffy pay for that mercy, and the world with her. Buffy even knows that, and still she couldn't take a human life. She's a hero, you see.
Buffy's reaction to a murder in season six <small>(being vague to avoid spoilers for those who haven't seen it)</small>, although there are substantial differences in that situation <small>(revenge vs. defense)</small>, would also seem to suggest that she'd find killing a human to be unacceptable, no matter what they'd done.
Old 12-09-03, 09:06 PM

No montage

As far as Buffy is concerned, full-screen or wide-screen means little to me. More isn't always better; sometimes it's just more (thank you, Sabrina).

However, the lack of the montage opening to "The Gift" season 5 finale would have kept me from buying the DVD release altogether. I have all the previous Buffy and Angel releases on DVD, and I had been planning to continue buying the sets as they were released. But not now. Until or unless Fox makes a new season 5 disk 6 with the montage included available for free exchange, I'm not buying anything else from them.

I liked season 5 best, and I liked "The Gift" best from that season, but without the montage, something I consider to be "perfect" is now just totally lacking... something very important just isn't there.
Old 12-09-03, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So, uh, I'm on the verge of moving this to TV Talk... I'll have to see where this discussion goes.

- David Stein