Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Depeche Mode - 101 DVD Talk Review

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-03, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the whole very good review Randy perhaps i'm being far too picky but as someone who has been listening to their music since the early 80's i would highlight one thing from your review :-

Should anything else have been included?
I can’t really think of much. Obviously, it would have been nice to see the entire Rose Bowl concert, but it’s still pretty meaty for a “bonus feature”. I was pleasantly surprised with everything else included, especially the Audio Commentary. With that said, virtually all the bases were covered well, so I can’t complain (and neither should you).

Hardly suprising really but really would have loved to have seen Alan Wilder contributing to a commentary track of some description or an interview segment.
Also around the time 101 was made i remember a very good MTV (did i just say that?!) documentary concerning DM and their US tour which could have been included and also felt the interviews with Dave,Martin and Fletch at approx. 5 mins each were on the short side.
Old 11-24-03, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thanks very much for reading my review. I really don't know why Alan Wilder didn't get involved here, as I haven't really kept current with the band news. For myself and anyone else wondering: do you know if this was for personal reasons, or was he just busy at the time?
Old 11-24-03, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Randy Miller III
do you know if this was for personal reasons, or was he just busy at the time?
A combination of both most probably...i haven't really kept track of Alan's Project - Recoil so can't comment on his work schedule...however he hasn't made it a secret that he wasn't keen on the 'pop' image that was presented by '101' and by having the whole 'kids on the bus' angle when he favoured a more 'serious' insight into the band....i think also for personal reasons he may want to completely disassociate himself from any DM related issues if it is at all possible....he has said he is on good terms with all the band members still but i expect he doesn't want to be reminded of or put in a position where his departure is once again an issue of discussion.
Old 11-24-03, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thanks for clearing that up.