Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

True Lies DVD transfer quality?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 10-26-03, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed that True Lies can be had for under 10 dollars this week and its one of my favorite Arnold movies so I am wondering how the transfer and sound quality are on the current DVD

I heard there's possibility of a re-release but I've also heard rumors of a delay because of the terrorism theme.

Any info on how the video / sound are on this movie or just saying "suck it up, wait for the re-release" will be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-26-03, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: True Lies DVD transfer quality?

Originally posted by cross
I noticed that True Lies can be had for under 10 dollars this week and its one of my favorite Arnold movies so I am wondering how the transfer and sound quality are on the current DVD

I heard there's possibility of a re-release but I've also heard rumors of a delay because of the terrorism theme.

Any info on how the video / sound are on this movie or just saying "suck it up, wait for the re-release" will be appreciated.

Thanks
We never reviewed it, but I do have the disc and can tell you that the video is non-anamorphic and plagued by the severe edge-enhancement that beset the first DVD release of DIE HARD WITH A VENGEANCE and intruded on several Fox LaserDisc transfers from the nineties, namely those for each edition of THE ABYSS. The Dolby Digital 5.1 mix on TRUE LIES, while thunderous, is not quite as impressive as it once was and cries out for a DTS upgrade.

I suspect that Fox and Cameron have softened up on the film since the immediate aftermath of 9/11, and I have heard rumblings of a region-one Special Edition for 2004 to mark TRUE LIES' 10th Anniversary.

So, unless you're a huge fan of the film, I'd say spend the $10 on something less likely to be remastered.

Bill C
filmfreakcentral.net
Old 10-26-03, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would definitely wait - a SE is coming and will surely look much better than the current release.