Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Reviews of Pink Floyd?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-03, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reviews of Pink Floyd?

Anyone have or seen a review of the new release of Pink Floyd's Live at Pompeii?
Thanks!
Old 10-22-03, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...just this one, of the Australian (R4/PAL) release...

. . . . . .
Old 10-22-03, 11:23 AM

Just started to watch it

Was anyone else who has seen it suprised at no 5.1? Floyd (especially Waters) have always recorded everything they've done to the nth degree, and I know that the Pompeii "gig" must have been recorded with at least as many separate tracks to be able to produce a good quality 5.1 mix.

Just wondering. It's been so long of a wait I'm just glad to have it vs. my VCD copy, but I'm always against the double dip wherever possible (as far as DVD's are concerned at least)
Old 10-22-03, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Just started to watch it

Originally posted by swankywanky
...suprised at no 5.1?...
...erm... see remarks about the sound in the review linked above...

. . . . . .
Old 10-22-03, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's quite 'partisan' but there is an extremely interesting (for fans) series of articles about it here, including interviews with Adrian Maben, the director:

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/

Old 10-23-03, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another review.
Old 10-23-03, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That last review is a bit strange. I haven't watched it yet because I got a bunch of movies this week, but I popped it in & watched some of the interview & did a quick compare on the 2 versions. He says it doesn't add much to the time, but the director's cut looked to be 30 minutes longer& since it was only slightly over an hour, that's pretty much. He also says it doesn't add any new Floyd stuff, but aren't there interviews in it now that weren't before? He shows parts in the interview. I guess I'll watch the DC first.
Old 10-24-03, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by El Kabong
That last review is a bit strange. I haven't watched it yet because I got a bunch of movies this week, but I popped it in & watched some of the interview & did a quick compare on the 2 versions. He says it doesn't add much to the time, but the director's cut looked to be 30 minutes longer& since it was only slightly over an hour, that's pretty much. He also says it doesn't add any new Floyd stuff, but aren't there interviews in it now that weren't before? He shows parts in the interview. I guess I'll watch the DC first.
It's a bit confusing because the Director's Cut is actually the third version of the film. The original version, released in 1972, was just the band playing live, the 61 minute version, which is included as an extra on the disc.

The second version, released in 1974, included all of the additional footage of the band recording Dark Side of the Moon, and it's this version that has been released on video previously.

So if you've seen Pink Floyd Live in Pompeii on video before, then you've seen the 1974 version, and you shouldn't expect to see any new footage of the band.