Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Any reviews for Dick Van Dyke Vol. 1 and 2 yet?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 10-20-03, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As this is being released this week, I haven't found any reviews yet.
Anyone else know of some?

Thanks,
Redcon1
Old 10-28-03, 05:10 AM

There doesn't seem to be nearly the kind of interest in older TV series on DVD (like the stellar and multiple award-winning "Dick Van Dyke Show" and "The Mary Tyler Moore Show") as there are in newer series. And this fact is kind of sad indeed. For, as we ancient folk realize, many of these older 1960s/1970s TV series are of very high quality and worthy of attention as they turn up on the DVD video format. Hopefully, many new fans (of a newer generation) will discover the quality writing and characters of such shows as the Van Dyke Show and TMTMS.

If you'd care to read my rather long-winded (but at the same time heart-felt) thoughts regarding the two brand-new excellent DVD releases of "The Dick Van Dyke Show", then read on. Perhaps my thoughts won't bore you to tears. And,
just perhaps, will push one person off that "shall I buy or not buy DVD-on-DVD" fence. .....................................

---------------------------------------------------------

DICK VAN DYKE SHOW SEASON ONE:

Image Entertainment's DVD-Video release of "The Dick Van Dyke Show Season One" is a superior example of TV-on-DVD. Just about as close to "perfect" as you could get, in my opinion.

The Dick Van Dyke Show, which ran for 5 seasons on CBS-TV from 1961-1966, seems as fresh, funny, and (above all) REAL today as it did all those years ago, when it barely was able to survive its rocky, low-rated first season.

This TV show, thanks to creator Carl Reiner's well-structured and impeccibly-penned scripts, always seemed to have that off-the-cuff and seemingly ad-libbed quality that, in this writer's observations, is unparalleled in the field of TV sitcoms. Although, Van Dyke co-star Mary Tyler Moore's own 1970-1977 series that bears the star's name definitely rivals the Van Dyke series in terms of naturalness and the "unscripted" feel that it exudes.

This glorious 5-disc set contains each of the 30 first-season programs. We also get the exceptionally-nice bonus of the series' original pilot, "Head Of The Family", created by resident series genius Carl Reiner, which starred Reiner himself as Rob Petrie, along with a completely different group of actors portraying the show's other characters. The CBS pilot aired on July 19, 1960, its one and only network airing.

Every facet of this DVD set is a treasure of gold. Everything! Starting with the ultra-classy packaging, with the outer slipcase representing a facsimile of an old-fashioned B&W TV (right down to the vent holes on the back!). The image on the "TV" on the front of the slipcase shows Rob Petrie falling over the living-room ottoman, taken from the opening credits of the show. This picture (which is actually a removable insert card which can be slid in and out of the mock "TV screen") will yield a "motion picture" effect when tilted from side to side, or up and down. If you move the picture just right, you'll see this nice 3-D-like effect, with Rob starting out in a standing position, and then proceeding to fall over the ottoman. Very cool!

The five discs are housed in separate "ThinPak" DVD cases, which each has a different picture on the front. These cover art images are excellent, and can be looked upon to represent a mini Photo Gallery in and of themselves. There are also some additional still photos on the back and on the inside of each ThinPak case, along with complete episode information for that particular disc, including episode numbers, film dates, original air dates, and a short synopsis of each program. Chapter stops are also included.

A small 4-page printed insert also comes in this package. This mini-booklet provides some informative general information and "Did You Know?" fun facts concerning The Dick Van Dyke Show and its cast.

Apart from the programs themselves, the large amount of effort utilized in creating just this first-rate packaging is readily apparent.

Each single-sided disc has 6 or 7 full-length, unedited episodes. Each program has a running time of just a tad more than 25 minutes, including the ending credits. So we know they're the full programs, without any scenes cut out. Very nice! For marathon lovers, there is a "Play All Episodes" feature, for uninterrupted back-to-back viewing of that disc's programs.

Video Quality .... Picture quality is, in a word, Perfection! Or, at least "Near Perfection", let's put it that way. Considering the decades-old age of these programs, I think it's safe to say, due to the intense and very lengthy restoration and re-mastering process that was undertaken here, that these episodes have never looked any better. The black-and-white photography is very sharp and clear, bringing out some details you probably never knew were even there while watching these episodes originally in the 1960s on the smaller 19-inch monitors of the era.

Sound .... There's a very adequate Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono soundtrack employed for each episode. This original mono sound does very nicely. All dialogue is easily heard and understood.

Extras .... An amazing wealth of bonus material has been assembled for this boxed set (as well as its Season Two sister set, which actually contains even MORE than this volume!). Dick Van Dyke and Carl Reiner provide commentary tracks for two episodes. There's also retrospective interviews and featurettes with the cast & crew, Emmy Awards clips (which are great fun to see, transporting us back to the 1960s with the click of a remote button), Photo Galleries, network promos, and some original commercial spots. A fabulous amount of added-value content for a TV program from the early 1960s!

Menus .... The menu structure is simple and easy to navigate. Each episode has its own separate sub-menu, where you get the chapter selections for that episode. Highlighting the icon marked "Extras" takes you to all the special features that are specific to that episode. A "Special Features" option can also be accessed from the disc's Main Menu as well.

In addition, there's a feature on selected discs called "Ottoman Tripper", which, when selected, reveals a single trivia question about the Dick Van Dyke Show, with 4 possible answers. Selecting the correct answer will reveal a snippet of the opening credits of the show in which Rob Petrie sidesteps the ottoman upon entering the living room. If an incorrect choice is selected, you get a clip of Rob tripping over the ottoman, with added "crashing" sound effects. A cute little bonus, again emphasizing the devotion and care the creators of these DVDs have taken in producing this product.

Rounding out the extras, there's a "Meet The Cast" feature (text only), with some brief info on the show's cast.

Unfortunately, Carl Reiner (I've heard it told) nixed the idea of any outtakes or bloopers being included in these DVD-on-DVD sets. His reasoning, as I understand it, was that he didn't like the idea of having the audience seeing the characters he created appearing "out of character" while filming the show. Thusly, no outtakes/bloopers/deleted scenes are included here. (Although many DO exist. I have a VHS video that includes about 30 minutes of Van Dyke Show outtakes and bloopers. Too bad they can't be shown on the DVDs. But, oh well...you can't have everything I guess.)

Long live The Dick Van Dyke Show! .... It now WILL live on and prosper thanks to Image Entertainment's beautifully-done season-by-season DVD compilations.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------

DICK VAN DYKE SHOW SEASON TWO:

This second-season five-disc DVD boxed set of "The Dick Van Dyke Show", courtesy of Image Entertainment, ranks right up there with the Season 1 installment. Just a beautiful example of a great TV show being given superb DVD treatment.

There's a minor error on the Season 2 package. It claims on the outer case that there are 32 episodes contained in this set. In reality, we're treated to a total of 33. The final program on Disc #5, "All About Eavesdropping", was filmed at the end of the show's 2nd Season production cycle (in April 1963). But the episode did not actually air until October 23, 1963, which was well into Season #3 of the show. This was common practice for the Van Dyke Show crew throughout its network run. They would film an "extra" episode at the end of each season, to provide a sort of "head start" for the following season.

We're given the same type of very nice packaging for Season 2 that exists for the first-season set. Individual "slim" style DVD cases are used to hold each of the set's five platters. With very attractive disc and cover art utilized. Each disc is single-sided and contains six or seven Van Dyke Show episodes.

The image on the "TV" on the front of the slipcase is a nifty "3-D" insert card which can reveal a neat little "motion picture" (when turned just so) of Laura Petrie (Mary Tyler Moore) sliding out of the Petrie hall closet, down a mountain of walnuts (taken from the classic Van Dyke Show episode).

Each disc's cover also shows episode numbers, film dates, original air dates, and a short synopsis of each program. There are Chapter Selections for each episode as well.

A small 4-page printed insert also comes in this package. This mini-booklet provides some informative general information and "Did You Know?" fun facts concerning The Dick Van Dyke Show and its cast.

An obvious amount of care and effort went into creating not only the first-rate DVD-Video transfers on this set, but in the packaging of the discs as well.

Each of these Season Two Dick Van Dyke programs has a running time of just a tad more than 25 minutes, including the ending credits. So we know they're the full episodes (as originally aired in 1962 and 1963), without any scenes cut out. Very, very nice indeed!

There is also a "Play All Episodes" feature incorporated into this boxed set, for "marathon"-style viewing of that disc's programs. A great feature that many DVD purchasers will no doubt appreciate.

Video Quality .... Darn near perfect as far as I can see! Considering the age of these programs, I think it's safe to say, due to the intense and lengthy digital restoration and re-mastering process that was undertaken here, that these episodes have never looked any better. Resolution looks A-OK to my eyes. Laura Petrie's beauty shines through brighter than ever on these crisp Digital Versatile Disc presentations.

The black-and-white photography is very sharp and clear, bringing out some details you probably never knew were even there while watching these episodes originally in the 1960s on the smaller television monitors of that era. (Thank the Maker nobody tried to "colorize" these great old B&W shows! That would have been awful in my opinion. They were made in black-and-white, and that's the way they should remain. And they do remain that way, in exceptional fashion to boot, on these Image DVD compilations.)

Sound .... There's a very adequate Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono soundtrack employed for each episode. This original mono soundtrack does very nicely. All dialogue is easily heard and understood. The "Live Studio Audience" laughter seems quite robust also on these mono tracks.

Extras .... Some outstanding extra bonus features are contained on these discs. Several episodes feature commentary tracks. There's also a hefty dose of interviews and featurettes, Emmy Awards clips (which are a real treat to watch so many years later), Photo Galleries, and some original commercial spots. One of the featurettes, which has a fairly new batch of cast interviews, is "The Making Of 'It May Look Like A Walnut' ", in which Dick, Carl, and Rose reflect back on the hilarious "Walnut" episode. They all, needless to say, remember that one with great fondness.

And probably my favorite bonus feature is on Disc 5 of this Season 2 boxed set, when we're treated to four members of the Van Dyke Show cast appearing on a CBS game show called "Stump The Stars" (which, I've now discovered, is an alternate USA title for "Mike Stokey's Pantomime Quiz"). Dick, Mary Tyler Moore, Morey Amsterdam, and Rose Marie compete in this charades-style game against the show's "regulars", which include the likes of Sebastian Cabot, Ross Martin, and others. It's very fun to watch the cast in a setting where they are not in character.

This "Stump The Stars" bonus is not just a clip or two from the show...it's the entire episode (run time: 27 minutes)! Even included is a very humorous commercial for Wheat Chex cereal. This game-show bonus exhibits very good picture quality too. Just great, great stuff. (Let me say, too, that all the players involved in that game show were excellent at playing the game too. You can tell the Van Dyke Show cast had been practicing in anticipation of their appearance on this Pat Harrington-hosted program.)

Also keep an eye open for the "Ottoman Tripper" bonus feature (on selected discs). "Tripper" is a trivia game, where a correct answer takes you to a shot of Rob Petrie deftly "sidestepping" his famous ottoman. Give a wrong answer, and watch Rob fall on his face. This is yet another neat little non-hidden "Easter Egg" type of extra feature that brings a smile to the face of the person participating.

Rounding out the large batch of supplements, there's a "Meet The Cast" feature (text screens only), with some brief info on the show's cast. (One text screen per cast member.)

Menus .... The menu structure is simple and easy to navigate. Each episode has its own separate sub-menu, where you get the chapter selections for that episode. After the initial disc load-up, you'll hear the familiar Van Dyke Show theme, followed by--thankfully--silence, for the remainder of that disc "session". There are no annoying (and lengthy) musical menu transitions. As Montgomery Burns would say: "Excellent!"

If I had my druthers, Congress would immediately pass a law that demands all good citizens go out and purchase a copy of this worthwhile DVD boxed set. Everyone then could enjoy, in digital splendor, the excellence that was (and still is) The Dick Van Dyke Show.

Last edited by davidvp; 10-28-03 at 05:13 AM.
Old 10-30-03, 12:40 PM

Thanks davidvp for the very in-depth review.
I figured the treatment for this classic would be wonderful.
This has always been my favorite sitcom(a title that doesn't do it justice), even when I was about 8-9 years old.
I'm dating myself by saying I remember when these repeats used to air on weekday mornings on CBS at 10:30am c.s.t. "I Love Lucy" was on prior to this and the soap opera "Love of Life" followed. Maybe you remember this, too?
Anyway, thanks agan for taking the time for such a thorough review.

Redcon1
Old 10-30-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts
DVD Savant has been sent both seasons and will hopefully have reviews up at DVD Talk very soon.
Old 10-31-03, 01:00 AM

Thanks davidvp for the very in-depth review.
Thanks for your kind words as well.

No, I don't seem to recall the "DvD/Lucy..." reruns you mentioned. But I certainly saw the Van Dyke show enough in syndicated form over the years. Has always been one of my favorites.
Old 10-31-03, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to pick these up. The Dick Van Dyke show is seriously the funniest show I have ever seen on TV. I've never been interested in buying TV series on DVD before but I need this one.
Old 10-31-03, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I used to watch these in re-run during the early 70s and laughed all the time, they are still funny to this day.

The only problem I have (and many others) is money.

Do I purchase Indiana Jones, Looney Tunes, TTT or Dick Van Dyke?

Dick Van Dyke would have to be my last choise. Now if it came out during a slow DVD month like March, then I might have picked it up.
Old 11-01-03, 02:59 AM

Now if it came out during a slow DVD month like March, then I might have picked it up.
Well, who says you HAVE to buy it immediately after it hits the pavement?

Wait a while...put it on the good ol' "Wish List". It'll still be there (I would think anyway).

Also...by the month you mentioned (March), you'll have another tough choice -- whether or not to buy ALL THREE seasons of The Dick Van Dyke series on DVD!

S.3 is due on February 10, 2004.

With Season 4 coming April 13th; and the fifth and final season on June 15th.

Nice, swift release schedule to be sure!
Old 11-03-03, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I netflixed Season 1 Disk 1 this weekend and had a ball. Six very funny episodes. This disk also had a pilot called "Head of the Family" starring Carl Reiner which eventually morphed into the Dick Van Dyke Show. There were a couple of interviews and some stills rounding out the supplements on this disk. I'm hardly an expert but the picture quality looked very good. I will definitely pick up the set.

Last edited by chente; 11-03-03 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-18-03, 05:27 PM

Just received my copy of Season 2 from Amazon.com today. Had to go home at lunch and check it out...
From what I've seen so far, DavidVP is right on the money!
I watch a little of the "Stump the Stars" show, plus a few of the short features and can't wait to get into the actual shows tonight.
I wanted to buy Season 2 first as it had more of my favorite episodes, but just the short look-see earlier today and I'm ready to purchase Season 1 too!

Redcon1