Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Good review on Dragonslayer

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 10-16-03, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 239 Likes on 172 Posts

http://dvdreview.com/quickpeek/collect/index.shtml

Check out the review. Glad that the picture and audio is looking good. Too bad no extras, what with that Paramount?

Can't wait to pickup this baby come Tuesday.

Last edited by dom56; 10-16-03 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-16-03, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 745 Likes on 545 Posts
No extras

I was hoping for the old Movie Magic segment they did on this film.
Old 10-16-03, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a full review of it here.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=163913
Old 10-20-03, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This promises to be the first time ever that I will get to view this film as it should be seen (obviously smaller). I've been cursed when it comes to DRAGONSLAYER. My first time seeing it theatrically, the sound was distorted throughout. The second time, the image was so dark all detail was lost in some scenes. But the most horrifying was the night I dragged a couple of friends to see this at a theater in downtown Bangor, and everything was going great until.... wait, wasn't this where Galen was supposed to confront the dragon in the cave? The entire sequence had been chopped out - there was a jump in the picture and an obvious splice, and suddenly Galen is out of the cave, having never been chased through the tunnel or ridden on the dragon's back! Some operator probably has about seven minutes of great 35mm footage in his home. Then there were the video incantations. I'll skip right over VHS and go to the laser release from Paramount in the early 90's...which had been delayed forever. Finally, a widescreen presentation with Dolby Surround. But it was disappointing. It was too dark, the contrast too high, so the wonderful cave sequence lacked detail. It was, of course, the best available transfer for a decade. Now, when I receive this puppy in the mail and spin it, I anticipate a gorgeous image (relatively speaking), and with or without supplements (I've never seen the trailer and would love to have had it), I thank Paramount for the remaster and the effort it took to get this out on DVD at all.