Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Dreamcatcher the new cult favorite?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 10-05-03, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really enjoyed this in theaters and picked up the dvd as well. I really think there will be a cult following for this flick. May not be as strong as the evil dead legacy, but it will have its crowd.
Old 10-05-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could not DISAGREE more. Actually, I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not. Dreamcatcher is not only BY FAR the worste movei of 2003, it's one of the worste movies I have ever seen in my life. There is NO WAY, I gauranty NO WAY this movie will every have a "cult following" every. Mostly b/c there is absolutely NO redeemable quality to the movie. Most cult movies usually at least contain some kind of craft, good story telling, or at least something to build up a fanbase. Dreamcatcher is just a terribly made film. I cannot imagine there are that many people that actually liked this movie.
Old 10-05-03, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I rented it, watched it with an open mind... and it's easily the worst movie I've seen in the last five years... god awful.

MATT
Old 10-05-03, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I found the "mental storage" thing to executed very well.
Old 10-05-03, 06:52 PM

I would agree that Dreamcatcher is the worst movie I've seen in a long time. I'm actually embarassed that I even purchased it. I should have known better since it was based on a King novel. As for cult following, any movie including a movie as bas as this can get a cult following. I doubt there will be a sequel though.
Old 10-05-03, 08:44 PM

I liked it, and am NOT being sarcastic at all. It was not great, but I would definitely give it a 8 out of 10. I cant see how it was the worst movie you guys have ever seen. I love horror movies, and "Darkness Falls", was by far the worst horror flick that I have seen in some time.

As for cult favorites, I saw Carpenter's "They Live" for the first time last month , and thought that cult favorite sucked big time.
Old 10-05-03, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by babka
I liked it, and am NOT being sarcastic at all. It was not great, but I would definitely give it a 8 out of 10. I cant see how it was the worst movie you guys have ever seen. I love horror movies, and "Darkness Falls", was by far the worst horror flick that I have seen in some time.

As for cult favorites, I saw Carpenter's "They Live" for the first time last month , and thought that cult favorite sucked big time.
I'm a horror junky, & I just cannot see one single good quality Dreamcatcher had. And 8/10 stars, good god man. How can a horror fan possibly like Dreamcatcher. The only thing horrific about it was the plot & paper thin characters. And They Live is definitely a classic cult film. They Live is a low budget movie with a clever idea & relishes in it's cheezy dialogue & never takes itself to seriously. It's made by a director that is a one of the all-time kings & innovators of the B-movie/cult genre. Dreamcatcher is a big budget mainstream movie that is suppose to be taken seriously & takes itself seriously (which is the worste part of the movie). PLUS the movie is written by a man who wrote several of the most SUCCESSFULL & POPULAR MOVES EVER CREATED & based on a book by one of the most successful & popular author's of all-time. Thus, I stick by my stance that there is NO WAY Dreamcatcher will become a cult hit. The movie is just beyond bad & not one of those "so bad it's good movies". I think most would agree with me.
Old 10-06-03, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmm..haven't seen it yet...looks like a wait for cable flick!
Old 10-06-03, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Worst movie of the year? Um. Okay. How often does that phrase come off your keyboard? Maybe it would have been more to your liking if Merchant and Ivory or the Coen Bros. had produced it.

I thought the movie had some redeeming qualities and I am glad that I bought it. Was it Oscar material? No. Was it good fun? Yes. At least for me it was. I enjoyed it. It stayed relatively true to the book (unlike some other King adaptations) and I love to see how a director's vision and mine differ.

I swear, some people need to get over themselves.
Old 10-06-03, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I rented it this weekend...It held my interest but it was not a good film: */****.

Questions: What did the actual dreamcatcher have to do with the story? Who/what exactly was the odd little boy? Was the monster indeed an alien?

Last edited by LiquidSky; 10-06-03 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-06-03, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only reason I even considered watching this movie is because I'm a big Stephen King fan. That being said, the movie certainly isn't the greatest ever made but it's still a movie I can watch with friends and laugh at how ridiculous some parts are. It's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be--just don't set your expectations very high and you'll be all set.
Old 10-06-03, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Sessa17
Dreamcatcher is not only BY FAR the worste movei of 2003, it's one of the worste movies I have ever seen in my life.
We can tell that Sessa17 has not seen Gigli.
Old 10-06-03, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm surprised I don't own it already. It's a tour-de-force comedy of epic proportions. It is every kind of bad film rolled into one - all it needs is a musical number! (Techno song at the end that begins with "I Dudditz!" notwithstanding)
Old 10-06-03, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I didn't think this was nearly as bad as a lot of people were saying it was. I would give it a 6 out of 10. It's nothing I would buy, but if I catch it on TV I would watch it again.
Old 10-07-03, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 135 Likes on 110 Posts
It's NOT nearly as bad as everyone says it is...the first 45 minutes or so are actually interesting until the story just completely falls apart.

I've seen at least a dozen movies in 2003 far worse than Dreamcatcher. Although I probably shouldn't (THE HULK) mention them by name (THE HULK).
Old 10-07-03, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The first hour or so was not bad, very watchable. After that, it just plain sucked. Not the worst movie in the last 5 years but it gets close...
Old 10-07-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw it in the theater and didn't really like it, but I deceided to give it another shot on DVD and found I enjoyed it a bit more this time around, if only for the performances. However, this was the first movie where I could actually say that Morgan Freeman was weak in, but I enjoyed the other players pretty well (notably Jonesy & Beav).

6 out of 10 stars
Old 10-07-03, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 165 Posts
Take this for what it's worth: I saw a screening of Dreamcatcher at the Karlovy Vary Film Festival in July. Morgan Freeman was on hand to introduce the film. He spoke for about 30 seconds and couldn't have gotten out of that theater any faster than he did. He had absolutely *nothing* to say about the film, but thanked everyone for showing up for the screening. Then he bolted so fast, he left a vapor trail.

The screening was completely sold out; most people had come to see Freeman. By the end of the film, maybe about 1/4 of the audience was still there, and they were all groaning and laughing at this cinematic abortion.

So a "cult favorite"? Maybe... if the cult was made up of BIG STOOPID STOOPID-HEDDS!!!! (Seriously, I'm not making fun of people who like the movie. If I told you of some of my favorites, I'd be laughed all the way to Jacksonville. Diff'rent strokes, and all that... but MAN! This was a Cleveland Steamer of a movie, and I don't mean in that nice, fecaphilic way...)
Old 10-08-03, 11:10 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

only thing saving that awful movie:

Broadie fighting off an ailen that came from his tush with a toilet brush. Classic
Old 10-09-03, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked this movie, one of my favorite movies I picked up on dvd this year. I can't even imagine how so many people can think this is the worst movie of the year.
Old 10-09-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by kaze0
I liked this movie, one of my favorite movies I picked up on dvd this year. I can't even imagine how so many people can think this is the worst movie of the year.

You're funny.
Old 10-09-03, 12:54 PM

Dreamcatcher was not the worst movie to come out on DVD this year (Darkness Falls, Bulletproof Monk, FearDotCom, and Leeches were all worse), but it comes close.

People were actually laughing during the climax, it was hilarious.
Old 10-09-03, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Darkness Falls was another movie i loved this year. I liked Dreamcatcher more though.
Old 10-10-03, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No doubt, this movie is bad. I at least found it watchably bad, however. When I saw it in theaters, I don't recall climbing the walls for it to end, so at least I found it bearable to sit through. That's not something I can say for an increasing number of films.

My girlfriend on the other hand, said that Dreamcatcher was, I'm quoting here, "Awesome!" I nearly had a stroke upon hearing that.
Old 10-10-03, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dreamcatcher was awesome, give me her phone number we'd be perfect

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.