DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Review: Let it Ride

Old 09-21-03, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I know this movie was released a few years ago but ya know what? I love the movie so much, I thought I would give my review.

Richard Dreyfuss is Jay Trotter, a down on his luck taxi driver whose wife Pam, played by Teri Garr, has thrown him out of the apartment due to his lack of commitment and his addiction to gambling on horses.

The film opens with Trotter and his wife having dinner, trying to rekindle their relationship. The promise is made by Trotter to Pam not gamble so much and make another go of their marriage right after he gets off from work.

Later that night while at work, Trotter hears a hot tip on a horse race. He gets this information from his oblivious friend Looney, played by David Johansen, who tape records conversations of his taxi passengers. Without a second thought, Trotter thinks this is his lucky day. He hears the tip at midnight on Saturday morning and the race just so happens to be on that day. As soon as work is complete, Trotter and Looney head for the track.

Of course, the tip pays off and Trotter is feeling like the luckiest person in the world. Instead of going home to his wife, like he promised, he presses his luck and tries to win even more money. Along the way, Trotter meets up with numerous eccentric characters that are spread throughout the film and come along for the ride. The most notable are, Vicki played by Jennifer Tilly, Robbie Coltrane as the Ticket Seller and Evangeline played
by Sex and The City's, Cynthia Nixon. Each of these characters has their own special thing about them, which I don't want to ruin in this review.

Video:

Let it Ride is presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen. The transfer on this disc is very good. Others have said they noticed specks and edge enhancement, but on my 55 inch widescreen, I didn't notice any problems. If they were there, they were so minor I didn't even notice them. Personally, Paramount did an excellent job on this disc.

Audio:

Let It Ride is presented in Dolby 5.1 (English) and 2.0 (English & French). The sound quality was perfect on the 5.1 track. Surrounds were used perfectly during the horse racing sequences. Aside from the horse racing scenes and when music would be played, main dialogue was presented through the center speaker.

Extras:

This disc is pretty bare except for a short featurette with some of the cast and the trailer for the film.

Overall:

This is one of my favorite movies to watch. Not only are my friends hooked on this, so is my family. This is a very funny film, with a surprisingly good cast. This is the type of film that you can easily watch again and again and be able to recite the lines along with the actors. Well, at least it do. I am a big fan of Richard Dreyfuss as it seems he can play any role that is thrown at him and do it to perfection. Without a doubt, I highly
recommend this movie to any fan of comedy.
Old 09-22-03, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"You got more guts than you got sense. I love it!"

There are so many great lines in that movie, but the images (like how Looney acquires a little extra dough for the track) are priceless.
Old 09-22-03, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Train..believe me...I know this movie like the back of my hand. It is hard not to laugh at the start of the film when Trotter and his wife are at the restaurant and the argument over the fortune cookie. So many other great lines....

..Cheeseburger approaches Trotter and looks at the sign saying "$50 Minumum Bet."

Cheeseburger: Did a loved one die?
Old 09-23-03, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I saw this in the theater back in the day, mostly because there wasn't anything else playing at the time that I was remotely interested in. And I also happen to like Dreyfuss quite a bit. It's an unusual mixture of odd, sometimes slightly surreal comedy and goofy romanticism. The writing is good and the cast is very game and they all seem to be enjoying themselves. Even though they aren't in many scenes together, Dreyfuss and Teri Garr seem to have a genuine chemistry that probably goes back to Close Encounters. And Elizabeth Tilly is *the bomb* as the clumsy sexpot. In the end, it's a really sweet little film that I'll pick up on DVD as soon as it drops down below $20 somewhere. For a bare bones release, that's way high.
Old 09-23-03, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JesseCuster
I saw this in the theater back in the day, mostly because there wasn't anything else playing at the time that I was remotely interested in. And I also happen to like Dreyfuss quite a bit. It's an unusual mixture of odd, sometimes slightly surreal comedy and goofy romanticism. The writing is good and the cast is very game and they all seem to be enjoying themselves. Even though they aren't in many scenes together, Dreyfuss and Teri Garr seem to have a genuine chemistry that probably goes back to Close Encounters. And Elizabeth Tilly is *the bomb* as the clumsy sexpot. In the end, it's a really sweet little film that I'll pick up on DVD as soon as it drops down below $20 somewhere. For a bare bones release, that's way high.
Jennifer Tilly you mean. DVDSOON.COM has it for $12.82 SHIPPED.
...or you could always go the way of Columbia House.
Old 09-23-03, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Bill Geiger
Jennifer Tilly you mean
*doh* Right you are.
Old 09-24-03, 09:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...to clarify, it isn't offered at Columbia House.
Old 09-25-03, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been waiting for a price drop on this and then I will pick it up. Fun, silly movie that is successful because of the casting and energy they give.

Hopefully it will make Walmart's bargain bin.
Old 09-26-03, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I remember seeing this in the theater... Loved it, and didnt know it came out on DVD till one day I was walking around BB DVD dept, and saw it out of the corner of my eye. I probably stillw atch it atleast once a month. I love this movie so much. I have turned so many friends on to that have inturned purchased it. Its great, i cant say enoughg ood things about it. I highly highly recommend it
Old 10-10-03, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by JDF5244
...to clarify, it isn't offered at Columbia House.
Time to make a "You asked for it" request.
Old 10-11-03, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw it on TV ages ago. It was okay, it's just not my kind of film.