Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

any alias reviews yet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-03, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
any alias reviews yet?

I've been waiting for these dvd's and want to know if it indeed it worth the 30 bucks i'm paying for it (replay member at sam goody)(
Old 08-25-03, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I posted my review at my Alias site and it should be up on DVDTalk soon.

http://www.sd-6.com/dvdseason1.shtml
Old 08-25-03, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

2 minutes after my post, it was posted on DVDTalk:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=7362
Old 08-25-03, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
With a few nit-picking exceptions, the video transfer is exceptional, the closest I've seen a DVD come to HD quality. I wasn't so enamored with the audio quality, at least not on the pilot episode, which sounds really flat and dull. Will watch more this week to see if that is an isolated problem for just that episode.
Old 08-25-03, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I accidentally left out a section of my review - it's been added, but for those who read it before I edited it, here's the extra section:

Alias Pilot Production Diary: Quite possibly one of the coolest special features on the disc. The production dairy runs for just under 30 minutes and gives you a great behind-the-scenes look at the making of the pilot episode. It just looks like such a fun set to work on - they've got behind the scenes before fight scenes with Jennifer just having some fun and there's also some added bloopers (very few though). The only slight detraction is that it is narrated by J.J. Abrams, so if you've watched his commentary for the pilot episode, you'll hear a lot of the same stuff in the production diary. Not a huge problem though, it's still a good featurette.
Old 08-25-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
bah.

You're biased Blake! Don't believe him people! This set is terrible!! He's a shill! He runs an Alias fan site!

Seriously though..

Great review Blake. [cool site too ]

This set IS very impressive. Fans who joined the show during the "Superbowl Reboot v1" owe it to themselves to check out this set.
Old 08-25-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Blake
2 minutes after my post, it was posted on DVDTalk:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=7362
Solid review. This is one of my most anticipated DVDs of the year almost entirely b/c it's in Widescreen. And I've never seen the show in that format. I am curious though, will that glowing review, how come you didn't just nominate the DVD for a DVD Talk Collector's series. IT seems like this TV boxset may be better than most.
Old 08-25-03, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

hows the bass? When I watched season 2 in my surround sound vhs, the bass was actually very strong, and was wondering how that is.
Old 08-25-03, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Sessa17
Solid review. This is one of my most anticipated DVDs of the year almost entirely b/c it's in Widescreen. And I've never seen the show in that format. I am curious though, will that glowing review, how come you didn't just nominate the DVD for a DVD Talk Collector's series. IT seems like this TV boxset may be better than most.
I really considered it, but I have seen better TV boxsets with more extra features, however the picture is fantastic and I love the show. I guess I just figured that since I am biased (I love the show ), that a Collector's Series recommendation might have been perceived as biased - I'll let another reviewer with more objectivity give it that praise
Old 08-26-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Who ever said that reviews should be objective?
Old 08-26-03, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Blake, and be honest in a "I'm a fan but I can imagine what it would be like not to be" kind of way:

Is this worth a blind buy? It's relatively expensive...
Old 08-26-03, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by bishop2knight
Not if you know where to look...

HERE's some other DVD Talkers opinions on the show [& set].
Old 08-26-03, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by bishop2knight
Blake, and be honest in a "I'm a fan but I can imagine what it would be like not to be" kind of way:

I think it's worth a blind buy if you can find it cheap enough. I have a copy on order from overstock.com and used a 10% off coupon and got it for $35. But if you're going to pay the full $70, I'm not sure if it's worth it unless you're a fan of the show. It's a great show and I would highly recommend it, but I would suggest seeing some episodes on TV before shelling out $70. But for $35, it's well worth it, because, as I mentined, Season 1 was much better than Season 2 and with the direction the series is going, will probably always be the best season.
Old 08-26-03, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really considered it, but I have seen better TV boxsets with more extra features, however the picture is fantastic and I love the show. I guess I just figured that since I am biased (I love the show ), that a Collector's Series recommendation might have been perceived as biased - I'll let another reviewer with more objectivity give it that praise
Just want to say that is an awesome response & I wish more mainstream, well known, reviewers looked at things that way. Good job man.
Old 08-26-03, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

as I mentined, Season 1 was much better than Season 2 and with the direction the series is going, will probably always be the best season.
Bah! Rubbish!
Old 08-27-03, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Josh Z
Bah! Rubbish!
LOL - I loved the whole SD-6 element and having Syd work undercover with them for the CIA.
Spoiler:
Now that SD-6 is gone, and Syd is just working with the CIA against Sloane, I don't think it will return to it's former glory - though the 2 year gap should be fun to explore.
Old 08-27-03, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They couldn't make that last forever. It would have gotten stale after another half-season or so. The reboot was ingenious and audacious. It completely reinvented the show in one episode.

I think Season 2 was every bit as good as Season 1, and that the wacky season finale twist will ensure that Season 3 is lots of fun as well.
Old 08-27-03, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

is there a play all feature?
Old 08-27-03, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, each disc has a play all feature.

As for the reboot, I hated it, but still love the show. The twist at the end of the Seson 2 was a great idea. Should make the show much better as Reboot -> Finale was not as good as Pre-Reboot
Old 08-28-03, 01:16 PM

Here's another review:

http://www.jackasscritics.com/movie.php?movie_key=262
Old 09-01-03, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
The Fabulous Josh Z has his review up at DVD File, and a review has also been posted to The Home Theater Forum.
Old 09-06-03, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought that Season Two was better than Season One, especially from the Reboot and beyond. I loved the Reboot, and thought that it was a genius idea in order to avoid the show from becoming stale (as it was in danger of...I mean how many times can Sid get close to being discovered as a mole?)

Possible plot spoiler for season three, so read at your own risk (not positive if this is legit or not though):

Spoiler:
I think that I read somewhere that in Season Three, Sloane has renounced his criminal ways during the missing two years. I think that there could be a lot of potential in this, especially as things were left with Sid, her mother, Sloane, and Sark.