Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

The Big Easy Reviewed

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-03, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Big Easy Reviewed

I really enjoyed this movie when I was in high school so when I saw it in the Wal-Mart $5.88 bin it was a no brainer. But if you're not familiar with the film, here goes:

Dennis Quaid is a New Orleans cop who considers himself "one of the good guys" even as he accepts brides and payoffs that he considers perks of the job. Ellen Barkin is a sexually frustrated district attorney with mysterious motives sent to the cresent city to investigate mafia hit (or hits). Sparks, cajun accents, and bullets fly for the next couple of hours as the couple try to get to the bottom of the murder(s).

The transfer is widescreen, but not anamorphic. The image is occasionally dirty, but pretty sharp considering the age and the price. I've seen worse transfers from major studios (Singles, for one) . Sound is in DD, but as is true with most 80's movies, the soundfield is pretty narrow and tinny at times. Explosions and gunshots are the worst culprit here.

Extra's are limited to a terrible full screen trailer from the VHS days (full of spoilers) and a filmography of the main players.

It may not sound like it, but I'd recommend "The Big Easy". The movie is a steamy and fast paced and you'll be speaking in a faux-Cajun accent for a couple of days after.
Old 08-01-03, 12:27 AM
Banned

It's a good date movie.
You have a good cop story for the guys.
And a sexy romance for the ladies.
Old 11-30-05, 04:21 AM

Missing scenes?

Plus you have great music for everyone.

I found this comment on IMDB:
"This is a favorite midnight movie for my 30something generation. Problem is, this is only half the film it ought to be. There is an alternate version (which you might be able to track down if you have relatives living in Greece) which is a WHOLE LOT BETTER.

Dennis Quaid and Ellen Barkin have a relationship that you care about, several odd continuity glitches suddenly make sense (once you realise what they had to cut out)."

IMDB lists it at 108 minutes. tv-now lists is at 115 minutes for an upcoming airing on TMC.

I'd like a director's cut with missing scenes as extra material.
Or a copy of the Greek version - unfortunately, I don't know anyone in Greece, and the only Greek DVD seller listed here, has a Greek interface :-(