Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

The Tick: The Entire Series (merged)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

The Tick: The Entire Series (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-03, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who is getting Tick?

HI,

I've never seen any of this before, is the set worth buying?
Thank you.
Old 07-25-03, 08:44 PM

Yes, I LOVED the live action Tick series. It's also at an affordable price. The cast was great and it was very silly and fun. I wish Fox had given it more time, but the fact that it is coming on dvd is great news.
Old 07-26-03, 01:36 PM

I would love to see the animated series on dvd. It was great.
"SPOON"!!!
Old 07-27-03, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't listen to me because I'm 1 of 4 people that thought it was better than the cartoon. I thought it was great. I liked it more with each episode & was sorry to see it go so quickly without much of a chance. It's what Mystery Men should've been, what I'd hoped the cartoon would've been, & as close as anyone's gotten to the classic 60's Batman. I'm pretty impressed that it's getting a release.
Old 07-27-03, 12:41 PM

I'm with Lokimok, I loved it, it is amazing it is being released. I also liked it more than the cartoon. Too bad Fox is feces and never gave it a fair shot.
Old 07-27-03, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Opinions vary...greatly. I was an indescribably huge fan of the animated series, but the pilot of the live-action series was so horrendously bad that I never bothered with another episode. The live-action series has a rabid following, and my opinion doesn't seem representative of the world at large, but...yikes. I wouldn't recommend plunking down $30 sight-unseen.

There are a number of threads about the show on TV Talk -- give that forum a search, if you're interested.
Old 07-30-03, 07:18 AM

You will probably be able to pick this up at around 19.99 at Best Buy or Circuit City the week it comes out......I'd go for it. The worst that could happen is you dont like it and you ebay it. I think it was a very funny series with a great cast and a surprising amount of heart admist all the silliness.
Old 07-30-03, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Patrick Warburton. My sole reason for wanting this--he was absolutely hilarious and vastly underrated IMO.
Old 08-01-03, 12:22 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by ctyner
Opinions vary...greatly. I was an indescribably huge fan of the animated series, but the pilot of the live-action series was so horrendously bad that I never bothered with another episode.
I though the pilot was awful too, but I found it got much better after that.

All in all, I'm looking forward to the set.
Old 08-03-03, 02:07 AM

SPOON!!!!
Old 08-03-03, 02:10 AM

The animated series rocked!

Never saw the live action show. Looked kind of funny, but I never heard anything about it after it aired. Weird.
Old 09-26-03, 07:42 AM

DVD Talk review of 'The Tick: The Entire Series!'

I read Randy Miller III's DVD review of The Tick: The Entire Series! at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=7685 and...

was shocked that he even hinted at watching bootlegged copies of the episodes. I though discusion of this was forbidden here.
Old 09-26-03, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Threads discussing bootlegs are prohibited, as far as I know, but an off-hand mention in an off-forum review wouldn't seem to qualify. It didn't "shock" me, at least. I've contacted Geoff to let him know about your complaint, though, and if he decides to edit the review or make it clear that those sorts of notes are verboten in DVD Talk's off-forum reviews, hopefully we'll find out one way or the other soon...
Old 09-26-03, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't think that the discussion of the shows or movies that might have been watched through bootlegs or illegal download was prohibited, but descriptions of how or where to download bootlegs or the encouragement of it is frowned upon. I have seen many many threads in the TV forum and Movie forum where members talk about shows and movies that might not have aired or been released yet without getting condemned.
Old 09-26-03, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

As far as I understood it, the reason discussing it in threads (or more specifically as thread topics) is not allowed, is because we're not mature enough to handle talking about the content without quickly straying into discussion of how to acquire things illegally, and it's too much of a demand for the mods to try to draw that line in each thread. It seems to me that there's really no problem with off-hand mentions of bootlegs in situations where it's not likely to spawn any sort of discussion about it in a bootleg capacity.

das
Old 09-26-03, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

First of all, thanks very much for reading my review.

While I don't encouage the idea of VCD's in general, I think they're more than OK if you have the original episodes on tape as well. That's pretty much all they are anyway---a VHS tape on CD---not to mention these episodes were broadcast on network television. Not exactly the same as pirating DVDs and such, which I am completely against. Anyway, the only reason I got them was so I wouldn't be stuck with worn-out VHS tapes five years from now. After all, I honestly never thought a show as short-lived as 'The Tick' would ever make it to DVD, period!

However, those that think VCDs are the worst thing in the world will be happy to know I trashed 'em the day I got the DVD set in the mail. They weren't that great in hindsight, but they were a decent substitute at the time.

Furthermore, I'm actually shocked myself...I wrote that glowing, long-winded review, and the only thing that gets a response was the VCDs?

Anyway, sorry if I ruffled a few feathers (believe me, it was unintentional). Still, I see no need to edit the review personally, as it was originally approved by the editor before it was even posted. However, if our editor feels it's necessary at this point, I'd be more than willing to.

Randy
Old 09-27-03, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I managed to get a copy of the set yesterday as a blind buy (although I'd wanted to see it when Fox aired it originally), and went through the first disc last night. Great, great show! Nice to see it treated so well on DVD; yes, more extras probably could've been done, but the fact that it's now in widescreen is an awesome bonus, and the commentaries, or at least Sonnenfeld's on the first episode -- the only one I've listened to so far -- are quite good, too.

And I like the bright blue Amaray it comes in.
Old 09-30-03, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This show deserved to die... bring on the cartoon sets!!!
Old 10-02-03, 09:06 AM

"The Tick" = good blind purchase?

The only series I've collected so far on DVD are Buffy and The Simpsons. I liked the animated Tick, and I read comics (still catch the Alan Moore stuff).

Have not seen even a clip of the live action "Tick." Haven't had cable in years.

I'm in Canada, so I've found the set for $30 Cdn ($20 US, or so).

Is it worth the blind purchase?
Old 10-02-03, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Personally I would say stay away from this show at all costs but for some reason people liked it. I could never watch a full episode... it just plain stunk.
Old 10-03-03, 04:41 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
I love this show- it's witty, irreverant, and beautifully shot. Looks great in widescreen.
Old 10-04-03, 02:10 PM

I agree with Eric, and the Entertainment Weekly review that gave The Tick an A-. It was too smart, too weird, and too funny to stay on the air. THANKS FOX NETWORK !
Old 10-04-03, 02:22 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
The final unaired episode was particularly good, taking on (of all things) bigotry.

Funny stuff.

Last edited by Eric F; 10-04-03 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-04-03, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Loved it. It was a great live action show, a great paradoy of super-hero's. I wish Comedy Central would of picked it up, it could of survived on that channel for a few seasons at least.
Old 10-07-03, 03:21 PM

You can pick up the set at DeepdiscontDVD for $5.99 shipped.
Enjoy!