Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Ultimate Force (British SAS miniseries) - R2 PAL

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Show:

Ultimate Force is a recent, 6-episode British television drama series about the reknowned British special forces group, the S.A.S.

This is a solid military drama that follows the adventures of a small team of SAS troopers led by Henno Garvey (Ross Kemp). The show's creator and technical advisor (and occasional actor) is Chris Ryan, a real life SAS soldier who was involved in the infamous "Bravo Two Zero" Gulf War incident (see Sean Bean's film of the same name). Ryan's participation, combined with a reported budget of over $1 million US per episode, results in a show that looks and feels quite authentic. The storylines and locations used in each episode vary greatly and keep things fresh. Acting is solid and the show isn't afraid to depict its protagonists as less than perfect. I really enjoyed the latter aspect. It doesn't whitewash their actions at all. You might come away from the show thinking that a few of the characters are real bastards. They certainly aren't boy scouts and the HARD R-rated violence is used to good effect in that respect.

If there's any disappointment to be had, it's the lack of gunplay: Episodes 2, 3, and 4 are relatively low on the shootout factor, which may be a turn off to those expecting lots of gun action. I found the show quite compelling regardless, but don't expect any tactical actions to rival Heat or Proof Of Life.

Disc Specs:

2 DVDs
6 episodes (1x 96 minutes, 5x 48 minutes)
16x9 enhanced widescreen
DD2.0
English subtitles
Making Of
Trailers for series 1 & 2
REGION 2, PAL FORMAT

Picture:

A sharp and clear transfer with no noticeable problems. There is some grain, but it looks like an intentional choice on the part of the filmmakers.

Sound:

The DD2.0 plays loud and clear with some decent directional effects through the receiver's DPL II mode.

Incidentally, the English subs really come in handy as the variety of accents on display here will certainly cause trouble for American viewers.

Extras:

All of the extras feature a spoiler of some sort, so it's best to watch them after you have completed the series.

The making of provides some interesting production info about a few of the episodes. Unremarkable but slightly better than the usual fluff.

Trailer 2 is a preview of the second, yet-to-be-released Ultimate Force series. It seems to give away virtually the entire plot line of one episode and does somewhat spoil the small cliffhanger to series 1, so don't watch it until later.

Trailer 1 is a trailer for series 1.

Overall:

If you're a fan of military dramas or have an interest in the SAS or the military, this is for you. I enjoyed seeing things from the British point of view. Not just the obvious equipment differences, but everything from their traditions to the soldiers' attitudes and the way they cope, it's quite interesting. And did I mention it would be R-rated over here? It doesn't pull punches. To be honest, i can't think of a single modern American production that is made with such care on a similar topic (maybe JAG?). Acting, writing, and production values are all exceptional for television.

The DVD package is great. 15.99 pounds or less is a great deal for over 5 hours of entertainment.