Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"The Man Who Wasn't There" starring Billy Bob Thornton: Looking for a Review

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-03, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone seen this film? Any comments, good or bad?
Old 03-13-03, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reviews forum
Old 03-13-03, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Egad, I thought I was in the Reviews Forum when I posted this! (Dumb)
Old 03-13-03, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How hard can it be to find a review for a film, especially this one?

http://www.mrqe.com/lookup?^Man+Who+...re,+The+(2001)
Old 03-13-03, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But those are critics reviews. I value the public's opinion a bit more. But I will post this in the appropriate forum.
Old 03-13-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Since you're looking for home grown opinions, here's mine.

Filmed in glorious B&W, The Man Who Wasn’t There harkens back to the classic era of film noir in style and theme. The cinematography, set design, costumes, and musical score contribute to the retro feel. But like a perfectly blended martini, the Coen’s stir the classic elements with their unique sense of off-beat humor and insight. The result is a refreshing, intoxicating beverage as modern as it is traditional.

Billy Bob Thorton’s deadpan delivery brings humanity to “the barber” who sets in motion the grand machine of crime literature karma that quietly ticks until all debts are paid in full. Wonderful also are the supporting cast including Frances McDormand, Jon Polito, Tony Shaloub, and Scarlett Johansson.

I’m hesitant to say more, as the journey of discovery is part of the fun. Among the Coen’s best work: stylish, witty, clever, even thought provoking.
Old 03-13-03, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You sound like a critic.
Old 03-13-03, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's an excellent, unique film with beautiful photography. Even on my modest equipment I think I can confidently say it has one of the best transfers I have ever seen.
Old 03-13-03, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/list.php
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...asntthere.html
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/review...asntthere.html
Old 03-14-03, 03:54 PM

Good performances, but the movie becomes really weird and pretentious towards the end. Not to mention that it seemed to end about 5 times before it actually ended. It was not the straight up crime noir film I thought it would be.
Old 03-15-03, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i was going to buy this blind a few months back, but in a rare movie i ended up renting it instead.

a good movie. don't think its particularly great, and i didn't like it as much as some of the other Coen Bros. movies.
the B&W cinematography was good, but the image on the disc, to me at least, looked a little blown out in some of the whites.
its not the best looking B&W movie i've seen on disc.
the movie does a pretty good job of apeing the film noir period and asthetic, but after it was over, i didn't find it as compelling upon reflection as i would have expected.

its due for a price drop soon, and after that i may pick it up.
apart from the beautiful period look and feel, i don't have a strong need to own it
Old 04-08-12, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 282 Likes on 180 Posts
Re: "The Man Who Wasn't There" starring Billy Bob Thornton: Looking for a Review

I know, this thread is over 9 years old.

Anyway I absolutely love this movie. Seen it half a dozen times or so since I bought the DVD.

Anyone else out there feel the same way? I think this is an unsung classic of the Coen's filmography.
Old 04-08-12, 12:08 AM

Re: "The Man Who Wasn't There" starring Billy Bob Thornton: Looking for a Review

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
I know, this thread is over 9 years old.

Anyway I absolutely love this movie. Seen it half a dozen times or so since I bought the DVD.

Anyone else out there feel the same way? I think this is an unsung classic of the Coen's filmography.
I didn't "absolutely love" it, but it was really good. It's hard to go wrong with the Coens, IMO. Great performance here from Shaloub. I remember he got a lot of award buzz, but nothing panned out.
Old 04-08-12, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Here's a review I wrote back in 2002 (now that it's been so long ago - Scarlett Johansson wasn't even a big star back then - I think I need to re-watch this film) that includes an overview of the 2002 DVD release. Sorry if I seem a bit snobby in the review, but this is a movie almost custom-made for film snobs.

-

"The Man Who Wasn't There" - A Throwback to Classic Film Noir, Along With Some Coen Bros Quirkiness For Good Measure

User Rating: Excellent

Pros: Acting, Directing, Writing, Style, You Name It – Yet Another Great Coen Brothers Film
Cons: An Attention Span Is Required (Not A Real Con, Though)

The Bottom Line: It’s the Coen Brothers, What More Needs To Be Said?

Plot Details: This opinion reveals minor details about the movie's plot.

Synopsis: A laconic barber (Billy Bob Thornton) in a small California town sees an opportunity to escape from a loveless marriage and his bland life if he can raise $10,000 to invest in dry-cleaning. However, the simple scheme he tries to come up with the money soon backfires and he gradually watches everything in his life fall apart.

Review: As a fan of the Coen Brothers since their first film, Blood Simple, I long ago noticed that they essentially make two types of movies: Quirky Comedies and Noir-ish Dramas. Of course, the lines do cross in all of their films – the Coen Comedies all tend to have a darker side and the Coen Dramas all tend to have some of the quirky comedy in them. So, after two successive Quirky Comedies (The Big Lebowski and Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?), the Coens have made their first Drama since Fargo with The Man Who Wasn’t There. It’s also their first film released in B&W, gorgeously shot by cinematographer Roger Deakins (who also shot great-looking films like A Beauty Mind, Fargo, and The Shawshank Redemption) and their truest attempt to evoke classic Film Noir.

The plot is a typical Noir storyline – a man seeking an escape from his past – but with some typical Coen twists (such as he’s a barber who wants to be a dry-cleaner) and their usual references to older films. There’s an overall similar feel to classic movies such as Double Indemnity and Shadow of a Doubt and the score, comprised primarily of Beethoven’s Piano Sonatas, works very well in capturing a dark, fatalistic mood for the film, which fits the basic theme that a man cannot escape from fate. However, the Coens throw more wrenches into the mix by including references to UFOs in the film and a few eccentric “Coen” characters, such as the dry-cleaning businessman and a French piano instructor.

Billy Bob Thornton is superb as the chain-smoking barber Ed Crane who says little in any actual scenes in the movie, but speaks so much in the voice-over narration that it partially masks his character’s laconic nature. Frances McDormand is also good in the role of Ed’s wife, who seems just as weary of her life as Ed – even though she figures prominently in Ed’s schemes; she’s no film fatale. James Gandolfini (The Sopranos) plays Big Dave, a boisterous type whose violent nature help turn Ed’s schemes – and life – inside out. And Scarlett Johansson (Ghost World) is quite good, effectively evoking Sue Lyon’s Lolita in her scenes in the movie as the daughter of Ed’s lawyer friend and barbershop customer.

One highlight are scenes that pay tribute to some of the great films of the past: there’s an eerily beautiful death scene that echoes a similar and unforgettable scene in Night of the Hunter, a car scene like those from Kubrick’s version of Lolita, and a late sequence reminiscent of A Place In the Sun. The Coen Brothers’ love of great old movies really shows in such homage scenes that remind the viewer of the older films, but are so well-done and integrated into the storyline, that they feel like genuine tributes and not like gratuitous rip-offs.

So, like the other Coen movies, this is a film lover’s film and I loved every minute of it. I doubt the average filmgoer will like it as much, because it is a bit rich and refuses to conform to current lowest-common-denominator standards. But for me, after suffering through so many half-baked movies from Hollywoodland, it’s something special when a great one does come down the pike. As Billy Bob Thornton says about the Coens: “They don’t suck.” Simple words, but the man is right and this movie definitely does not suck.

DVD Details: This is a pretty feature-packed disc for a Coen Brothers film. The movie is presented in 1.85:1 aspect ratio in a great anamorphically-enhanced transfer with a very subtle Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack (there’s so little surround info in the movie, that it’s a surprise when the rear speakers do kick in). Highlighting the extras is a commentary track of the Coens and Billy Bob Thornton in which they laugh it up quite a bit over Billy Bob’s nearly wordless performance as Ed Crane. I didn’t listen to the whole thing, but it showed signs of being a fun track to the end. There’s also a short documentary on the making of film as well as a series of interviews with the cast that are fairly interesting. The deleted scenes section, however, seemed more like a spoof of deleted scenes because all but one are less than 20 seconds in length (some would be better classified as “deleted shots”). The only extra that I found to be too much was a long interview (~45min!) with the cinematographer, Roger Deakins, which was too much for me, so I baled about a third of the way into it. Although this disc does not have the overwhelming number of extras found in many Special Edition releases, there’s still enough good stuff here for a fan of the film to dig into.