Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Below

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-03, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Below

Anyone know of an early DVD review of this fine film. It's ashame it didn't get more attention.
Old 03-06-03, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/387/387949p1.html

Sounds like a spooky, well-made horror flick. I might pick it up blind.
Old 03-06-03, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
There are also reviews at http://www.dvdangle.com/reviews/revi...998&beenHere=1 and http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=128592

I found those two reviews, along with the IGN review listed above, at http://www.dvd-basen.dk/uk/home.php3?soeg=r1&mvis=ok , if you're curious.
Old 03-06-03, 08:29 PM
Banned

Its a very nice movie. Def worth picking up.
Old 03-07-03, 07:11 AM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
I just watched it last night, and I thought it was a very well made horror/thriller. I'm a big fan of sub movies in general, and Below is an entirely different take on the genre. The film really plays it pretty straight, there's very few over-the-top moments that might normally take you out of the movie. IMO, it was very well made, and deserves a much better fate than Mirimax gave it.

The A/V was also top notch. It was always easy to see what was happening in spite of some much of the movie taking place in darkness and shadows. There was also good use of surrounds throughout the film, from depth charges to more subtle creaks and groans of the sub (or was it...)

As far as extras, I only had time to watch the 3 deleted scenes. Twohy's accompanying commentary was informative as to why they were removed. The scenes themselves were pretty good, especially the 2nd one. The scenes aren't entirely finished though, so they don't look as nice as the rest of the movie.

There's also a featurette and full length commentary by Twohy. I didn't get a chance to check them out, but other reviews said the featurette is a notch above the typical HBO First Look. Hopefully the commentary makes some references to how the film was handled, that would be interesting to hear. I'll report back on it, if I get a chance to pop it in anytime soon.
Old 03-09-03, 04:44 AM

I also would recommend this movie. And the commentary is pretty good, funny and informative at the same time
Old 03-09-03, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also thought this was quite a well-made, adult horror movie---in the same vein as The Others, Mothman Prophecies or Session 9. Creepy and atmospheric, as opposed to hitting you over the head with gore and CGI "scariness".
Old 03-09-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man....this does look good. May have to pick this one up but not for some of the prices currently out there. I do not understand BB and CC selling this for $22.99 at release date.
Old 03-09-03, 01:24 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
A big from me for this movie. I was one of the few (I can probably count the total number of people on my hand) who saw this flick in the theatres.

Atmospheric, effective thriller.
Old 03-09-03, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I also saw this in the theater. As I recall, it played in one theater at the multiplex for about 1 week, and there were about 10 people at the showing I went to.

Oh well, that's why DVDs are so great!
Old 03-10-03, 11:26 PM

Here's my review, which echoes most of the other opinions:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=5813
Old 03-11-03, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally posted by djones6746
I do not understand BB and CC selling this for $22.99 at release date.
(1) it has a $29.99 MSRP
(2) it's doesn't have a high enough profile

Edit - picked it up at Wal-Mart for $19.93 + tax.
Old 03-11-03, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scary stuff here! Definitely one of the best horror flicks to come out recently. The mirror scene was freaking me out big time.
Old 03-11-03, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for brining this title to my attention...I had not heard of it before. Although I didn't much care for Pitch Black, this sounds like it has potential.
Old 03-12-03, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought it blind. Great flick that combines war, horror, suspense and action in one movie. I def. recommend!!!!
Old 03-12-03, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i didn't think much of Pitch Black either, and if i had seen Aronofskys (sp?) name, i might have tempered my enthusiasm a bit.

anyways, i saw some threads about this- and since its a quasi-horror movie, i tried not to read them, but the premise of mating a sub movie with a horror movie struck me funny, so i made a rare, over $15 blind purchase.

nifty little B movie, with A production values.
i don't think it was nearly as scary or as tense as some of the hype ( i remember being much more tensed during Signs) but it was compulsivly watchable.

the disc is another stunner. i was watching HD in Circuit City today. a good hi def broadcast is impressive, but when dvds look this good my enthusiasm for HD starts to pale.

not sure how much replay value is there.
by contrast, i'm really looking forward to seeing Signs again.

if this had been around $15 retail, i might be a little more enthusiastic.
it'll probably get a big price drop in 6 months...just about the time i feel like watching it again.
Old 03-12-03, 08:53 PM

I guess I'm in the minority here. I didn't like this much at all. It did have a few creepy moments in there but, just too few and far between. It is a quality DVD though. This will be my last blind buy off of recommendations here. Session 9 was another one I didn't like. It's just better for me to start renting these to save some money. Thank God for Ebay though.
Old 03-12-03, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Rented and watched it the other night. I thought Below fell somewhere between heaven and hell, in that purgatory where so many films are trapped. The script struck me as surprisingly smart and tight; the writer took an intriguing premise and carried it through to a credible conclusion. I applaud the director for trusting the material and allowing the audience to participate in the experience through their imagination. It’s refreshing to see a movie that builds suspense via fleeting flashes and reaction shots rather than relying on cheep gore and cheesy CGI. Also in the plus column, the sound design and musical score helped to create a mysterious atmosphere.

There were several memorable scenes. One in particular grabbed me; I found myself holding my breath…
Spoiler:
when the depth charge collided the sub and failed to detonate, then tumbled slowly down the length of the ship.

Unfortunately, the performances and cinematography failed to engage me. While the acting wasn’t days-of-our-lives bad, I never believed these people manned a WWII submarine. I can't quite put my finger on why, but something didn’t ring true in the portrayals. And the cinematography rarely drew me into the experience or made me feel claustrophobic or contributed significantly to the story telling.

Overall, I am glad I saw it; I don’t regret the time I spent watching it. But I’m also glad I didn’t drop $15 on it. Again, thanks to the thread starter for exposing me to this flick.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited by audrey; 03-13-03 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-17-03, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by zak52
I guess I'm in the minority here. I didn't like this much at all. It did have a few creepy moments in there but, just too few and far between. It is a quality DVD though. This will be my last blind buy off of recommendations here. Session 9 was another one I didn't like. It's just better for me to start renting these to save some money. Thank God for Ebay though.

I'd have to agree. This flick went nowhere fast. I'm glad I rented....
Old 03-21-03, 02:21 PM

I was very impressed with Below, and it must rank up there with the best of the submarine genre.

As for it being a horror / thriller flick, what I found interesting ..
Spoiler:
.. is that the movie plays very 'straight' .. the supernatural element can be explained away quite rationally, if you don't like the supernatural element. So the fact that it was logically feasible and consistent ..

.. made it an even better movie for me.
Old 03-22-03, 12:43 AM
NMA

I have the DVD (Canadian version) and although the cover states that there is a trailer, I couldn't find one. Could anyone have a look at his/her copy please?

Last edited by NMA; 03-22-03 at 12:47 AM.