Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Boogie Nights: SE

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-03, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boogie Nights: SE

I'm thinking of purchasing this DVD. I love the movie but I read the DVD Talk review and apparently it has no documentary which would of been really nice. Does anyone have this DVD or can vouch for it? Are they going to make a Collectors Edition or Ultimate Edition in the future?
Old 02-20-03, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
There were two releases of this, the original Platinum Edition disc with the "star" artwork and the later SE with the orange character montage. The second disc is the one to get. It includes most of the supplements from the Criterion laserdisc.

The missing documentary you mention is eXhausted: The John C. Holmes Story, excerpts of which were included on the Criterion LD (censored to remove hardcore footage). New Line originally planned to include it in this fashion on the DVD as well, but lost the rights to it at the last minute (review screener copies were sent out with it on there). Another company has released the complete version of eXhausted separately, with some bonus features of its own. I'd imagine you'd find it for sale at adult video retailers.

The Criterion disc also had a P.T. Anderson commentary track over the eXhausted footage, which remains a laserdisc exclusive at this point. Nonetheless, the DVD SE is certainly worth owning with or without the documentary.

New Line has already released the movie twice and simply does not own the rights to eXhausted anymore. There is almost no chance that you'll ever see another release on the DVD format.
Old 02-20-03, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Josh Z~

Thanks for the information about the Boogie Nights disc. I'll bet that eXhausted documentary is damn interesting, but I'd be content with just a good quality cut of the film with some supplementals although learning about the real "Dirk Diggler" would be interesting. I'm not about to go to adult video stores for it. Anyways, I'm definately going to add Boogie Nights: SE to my DVD collection soon. Thanks again.

Last edited by NaturalMystic79; 02-20-03 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-21-03, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by NaturalMystic79
Thanks for the information about the Boogie Nights disc. I'll bet that eXhausted documentary is damn interesting,
It's very interesting, in that you'll be astounded at how closely Anderson copied parts of the movie for Boogie Nights.

but I'd be content with just a good quality cut of the film with some supplementals although learning about the real "Dirk Diggler" would be interesting. I'm not about to go to adult video stores for it.
There's always online ordering.
Old 05-23-06, 12:13 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
There were two releases of this, the original Platinum Edition disc with the "star" artwork and the later SE with the orange character montage. The second disc is the one to get. It includes most of the supplements from the Criterion laserdisc.

The missing documentary you mention is eXhausted: The John C. Holmes Story, excerpts of which were included on the Criterion LD (censored to remove hardcore footage). New Line originally planned to include it in this fashion on the DVD as well, but lost the rights to it at the last minute (review screener copies were sent out with it on there). Another company has released the complete version of eXhausted separately, with some bonus features of its own. I'd imagine you'd find it for sale at adult video retailers.

The Criterion disc also had a P.T. Anderson commentary track over the eXhausted footage, which remains a laserdisc exclusive at this point. Nonetheless, the DVD SE is certainly worth owning with or without the documentary.

New Line has already released the movie twice and simply does not own the rights to eXhausted anymore. There is almost no chance that you'll ever see another release on the DVD format.
how does the "Exhausted" docu differ from "Wadd: The Life and Times of John C. Holmes" - documentary found on the 2nd disc of "Wonderland" with Val Kilmer? the latter runs around 105 minutes. are they completely different or is there rehashed footage and interviews?

and did the 2-disc "Wonderland" go out of print and did that have something to do with the docu?

Last edited by OldBoy; 05-23-06 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-23-06, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
I may be wrong, but didn't the original release, single disc, also have a commentary by Anderson, where he's interviewing everyone, going to their homes and stuff. It's not on the 2nd release, I think. I could be wrong, usually am, but I thought that was the case with this one.
Old 05-23-06, 05:31 PM
Banned

This is worth picking up.
You may want to wait for deepdiscountdvd's 20% off sale this year.
Old 05-23-06, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Neitzl
I may be wrong, but didn't the original release, single disc, also have a commentary by Anderson, where he's interviewing everyone, going to their homes and stuff. It's not on the 2nd release, I think. I could be wrong, usually am, but I thought that was the case with this one.
the commentary you mention is on the second release. I noticed on imdb, that they mention a bootleg print out there that has about 50 seconds of NC-17 footage that had to be cut, and more scenes that aren't on the dvd, anyone know what this footage consits of?
Old 05-23-06, 09:12 PM

It's like 10 dollars now. Just pick it up and enjoy.
Old 03-06-07, 03:09 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Trying to decide if I can get rid of my original 1 disc version. Does anyone know if EVERY special feature/commentary line made it over from the 1 discer to the 2 discer?
Old 03-06-07, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As long as you get it on sale, I suppose it's worth it. I personally AM quite disappointed by the lack of a good documentary, Disc 2 seems quite paltry without one.

On an unrelated note, I also find it disappointing that Anderson didn't record commentaries for the two of his films I liked the best, especially since the Boogie Nights and Hard Eight/Sydney tracks are pretty good.
Old 03-06-07, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
It's a great DVD, but is lacking some essential stuff. No trailer or TV spots, and that film had really cool promotional material. The lack of a significant documentary of any kind is pretty lame, too, and so is the lack of a DTS track. New Line didn't start adding them until later, so this was a real missed opportunity.

The big kick in the face is Anderson's comment on the back of the disc "You may purchased something previously called "Boogie Nights...THIS is Boogie Nights". He even admitted later the trailers should have been on there, at the very least.
Old 03-07-07, 10:39 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Thanks guys. Your answers are not 100% clear, but I take it that at least the trailers are not carried over to the newer 2 disc set.

And I agree, I'd love to hear his commentary on Magnolia and Boogie Nights.
Old 03-07-07, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trevor
Thanks guys. Your answers are not 100% clear, but I take it that at least the trailers are not carried over to the newer 2 disc set.

And I agree, I'd love to hear his commentary on Magnolia and Boogie Nights.
Did the 1 disc have trailers originally? I checked Rewind and a couple of reviews and they don't mention that it did. As far as I can tell, everything that was on that first release is also on the 2 Disc.