Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review wanted for The Bourne Identity

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-02, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Topic
Old 12-28-02, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You may have a hard time finding a review of the DVD because Universal has decided to stop sending out screeners to many reviewers. As for the movie itself, I was greatly entertained by it and eagerly await for January 21.
Old 12-29-02, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally posted by Sweet Baby James
You may have a hard time finding a review of the DVD because Universal has decided to stop sending out screeners to many reviewers. As for the movie itself, I was greatly entertained by it and eagerly await for January 21.
Yup great movie, easily one of the BEST of last year as far as I am concerned. The second best movie I saw last year.
I can't wait for the DVD!
Old 12-29-02, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

htf got copies of about a boy and undercover brother early so i'm sure they'll get one early for the bourne identity as well.
Old 12-29-02, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree, it was an excellent film. This may be a stupid question, but I've been looking for the specs and I see the specs for the special edition, but is it 2 discs or just a single disc SE?
Old 12-29-02, 11:10 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I enjoyed this movie to. The fight scenes were god and so was the car chase.
Old 12-30-02, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
loved the movie!
Old 12-30-02, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts
One of the best movies of 2002.
Old 01-01-03, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=115708
Old 01-02-03, 01:27 AM

I'll have my review up once I pick mine up.
Old 01-02-03, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw it in the threaters. It was great fun movie. I will be pickingh it up once its out on dvd.
Old 01-04-03, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Skipped it in theatres so I could buy the DVD
Old 01-15-03, 09:51 AM
JFM

Picked up an early copy last week in the UK.

Never saw it in theatres, but it's a superb film. Great action scenes, bone crunching fight scenes, interesting locations, a decent performance from Damon. And a really good car chase.

With a movie this good, you would hope that the presentation would live up to the excellence of the movie...

Thankfully - it does. In particular, the DTS track really is stunning. Very powerful, lots of use of the surrounds for music and effects, as well as spatial efffects, particularly during the action scenes. And the sub really kicks in during those fights scenes.
Picture is equally superb, could not detect any grain, artefacts etc at all.

OK, extra's are only fair, a short making of, some inconsequential deleted scenes, and a music video.

But who cares when the film is this good, and also looks and sounds superb.
Old 01-15-03, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great flick, one of my faves from last year as well. Can't wait to get my hands on this one!
Old 01-16-03, 06:58 PM

i remember reading the book many years ago and was thrilled with the movie on the big screen. It was out about the same time as Sum of All Fears and (imo) this was the better flick - much more thrilling. I didnt think that matt would be the best choice for the ludlum character but was surprised by his performance. Also liked franke potente who was gr8 in run lola run. Looking forward to the dvd release.
Old 01-21-03, 07:31 PM

As I've read in reviews, the DTS is quite nice, picture nice ( had an intentional grainy sort of look to it) and great film..I'm glad I bought it.
Old 01-21-03, 09:50 PM

Ohh, I do have one negative aspect of this film. They have previews ( A MR. Bean movie) that you can fast forward or jump...To me, that's just facist and rude...But that's not a problem with the film just the studio.
Old 01-22-03, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally posted by wakwak007
Ohh, I do have one negative aspect of this film. They have previews ( A MR. Bean movie) that you can fast forward or jump...To me, that's just facist and rude...But that's not a problem with the film just the studio.
I think you mean can't fast forward or jump, and I agree it's INCREDIBLY ANNOYING.
Other than that, top notch film, picture and DTS sound. Highly recommend (just got get popcorn when you hit play; you'll have time).
Old 01-22-03, 11:38 AM

THanks Uteotw!
That's exactly what I meant..
Old 01-22-03, 12:10 PM
JFM

I can fast forward and skip them on mine...
Old 01-22-03, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I missed it in the theaters when it came out but picked it up yesterday and watched it last night.

A very good movie (3 out 4 stars).
Good story and action.
Old 01-22-03, 06:41 PM

My Review

THE BOURNE IDENTITY: COLLECTOR'S EDITION

The Movie

Simply put: Jason Boure would whoop Bond and XXX with one hand tied behind his back. Tell me how much I suck and Bond rules, but all you fans would be in denial. Out of all the spy films that came out last year, The Bourne Identity is the best. Why? Because the story isn't lame(I.E. - XXX), it doesn't rip off other films(I.E. - Die Another Day) and it doesn't manage to be the same old retired ****(I.E. - Die Another Day and XXX). And if you disagree with that, then read no furhter in the movie review, as Bourne Identity, IMHO, is the best film of 2002.

Story is Jason Bourne wakes up in a fisher's boat, not knowing who or what he is(a thirty-million dollar malfuctioning weapon to be exact). From there, we are led through a riff-raff that gives everything a great movie has. The acting here is impressive, and much better than you would find in this type of film. Even character development is here, something that's always absent in this type of film. Every character, well almost every character has a story to tell. And Doug Liman's style just works magnifcently with the film. What we get is a great movie and a good way to kill 2 hours. And I don't care what anyone says, that stair scene KICKS ASS!!!!!!

10 out of 10

The Video

I sure wish the video could have been as good as the movie. It almost is, but the problem is the one bit of edge enhancement that has to plague one scene and ends up being noticable. Other than that, colors, blacks, and everything else is damn fine. Compression wasn't noticable by this eye as well.

9 out of 10

The Audio

DTS 5.1 and Dolby Digital are are choices, and if the DTS is better than Dolby, then we have a new demo disc. Everything is crisp and clear as it should be, and the soundtrack is simply awesome. You gotta hear this!!

10 out of 10

The Extras

After lighting Undercover Brother up like a Christmas tree, I was hoping Bourne would get the same treatment. Sadly, it gets a few good extras. First is an excellent commentary by Doug Liman. Liman has to be a DVD fan, because this is one fine commentary that never has a dull moment. Next is an alternate ending which will make you thank the stars they used the one they did. Then are four deleted scenes, all of which would have slowed the film down significantly. Well, there are actually five, with an extended "Farmhouse Sequence". That is pretty decent, but nothing to fall over. None of these feature commentary. Next is a so-so documentary on the movie, titled "The Birth of The Bourne Identity". After that, there is the "Extreme Ways" music video, production notes, filmographies and the theatrical trailer in anamorphic widescreen. Probably the reason there are no more extras is because of the DVD-ROM Total Axcess feature. I don't have DVD-ROM, but I've heard good things on this. I only wonder what this disc could have been had DVD-ROM features been absent. I'm also not fond of the fact ALL the deleted scenes didn't make it onto this DVD.

8 out of 10

Overall

Anyone who has seen this film - Buy it. Like it. Anyone who hasn't seen this film - Rent it. Buy it. Like it. Anyone who thinks xXx is better - Rent Bourne. Like it better. Buy it. Like it even more. Anyone who thinks Bond can whip Bourne - Rent Bourne. Rent a Bond film. Like Bourne Better. Buy Bourne. Like it even more. Well-acted, well-written, and well-directed makes The Bourne Identity one of the best of its genre. Buy this, you must.

9 out of 10
Old 01-23-03, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
The Bourne Identity is the more-or-less "Sensible" spy movie of 2002.

xXx hit you over the head with horrible dialogue and over the top "extreme" sport stunts with an authentically trashy atmosphere.

Die Another Day hit you over the head with corny but oddly fitting dialouge, more-or-less over the top gadetry, and some truly unbelivable sequence and stunts.

Story wise, both of those were "Spy save the world." Bourne Identity is "Spy tries to figure out who the hell he is." There's no over the top stunts (Well, not really), and most things are grounded in reality - it's a more-or-less believable spy movie. I've enjoyed it greatly the last 3 times I saw it, and bought it on DVD tonight, plan on seeing it a few more times, it's just a truly entertaining flick - be warned though - there isn't really that much action in it, but when it's there - it's good. (keep in mind, while there isn't a lot of action, it's still quite exciting because of the way it's done.)

That being said, the other thing this movie has going for it is simply - the pacing is spot-on dead-on totally and completely perfect. Shots are exactly how long they need to be - no real quick cuts, no long-drawn out or ponderous shots, it's exactly how it needs to be - and for that - Doug Liaman should be commended .

Alright, now that I sound like a complete nerd - go pickup the flick, it kicks ass. The commercial is kind of lame (the one after you press "play", it shoulda just been on the Bonus features area or something.) but it's really nothing new, Universal usually has a drawn out montage sequence.

Good buy, and I agree - one of the better movies of 2002 (the plot may not be the most original, but I'll be damned if it wasn't entertaining.)

The DVD Itself is pretty damn nice as well, video looks excellent (it's a great looking film too.), audio is fantastic (and the soundtrack is perfectly suited.) and the extras are slim but to the point, which is good - less filler, more .... you finish it.

BUY IT!

-Rich
Old 02-01-03, 12:14 PM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
an inferior remake of an unauthorized adaption

While the movie is based on a novel, it is essentially a vastly inferior remake of "the long kiss goodnight" which, though covering the exact same ground, claimed to be an original story.

The similarities are so close, that my wife and I could not really enjoy the film for every scene we looked at ourselves and said "hey, in the long kiss good night this was done better."

Even Brian Cox reprised (?) his exact same role from the Long Kiss Goodnight!

I could go on for pages comparing these two films, but I highly suggest that anybody who liked this empty headed film with 2 dimensional characters and lame action scenes interspersed with boring seques, check out the Geena Davis/Samual Jackson classic.

There are those who don't like Renny Harlin and dismiss his work. Personally I thing TLKG was way ahead of its time with a female super hero/agent.. America wasn't ready for that back then. regardlesss, for us who loved TLKG the Bourne Identity was painful to watch.

Know many will disagree..but my 2cents...
Old 02-01-03, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
As someone who also loved The Long Kiss Goodnight I couldn't disagree with you more, cinemaman. Yes the TLKG was a lot of fun but it was way over-the-top and only took itself seriously on a few ocassions. The Bourne Identity was more low key and it's action sequences were always believable and the film never took a cartoony approach to the situations the characters found themselves in (which TLKG often did).

Both films were definitely great but two different types of films.

Also, neither of these films is the first to use the whole super-secret-agent-with-amnesia bit. So neither film is a rip-off of the other. All that aside, I still prefer The Bourne Identity over The Long Kiss Goodnight.

Last edited by RocShemp; 02-04-03 at 12:46 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.