Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Reviews Wanted: xXx

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-03, 11:20 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shon - Those were some mature comments. I do believe I was giving my opinion and you can have yours too. But you are as over the top as this movie.

I would have been a little more tender in my review if I knew someone was going to be so sensitive.

Since the majority here respects other peoples opinions I will concur with other about Vin Diesel. He is good in small doses as supporting cast. For me, he was not believeable as a lead. I am not sure what it was. His acting in this movie seemed to be forced. I think that Stalone and Arnold had more speech difficulties than acting early on.

As for Bond I thought tomorrow never dies or TWINE went overboard too. However, it is the formula we have come to expect. Maybe I am biased but XXX seemed like it was aiming more at a believeable story but threw in a bunch of explosions just for the sake of it.

Believe me I bought this movie unseen becasue I thought Diesel could pull it off as a new action actor. It could be the movie he was in but the fact that there is a sequel coming out in 2004 makes me laugh. However, I am sure someone will go see it. I know of one!
Old 01-03-03, 02:14 PM
Banned

Thanks for the complement.

And please, do sell this movie, you dont desirve it.
Old 01-04-03, 07:05 AM

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
worse supplements?

first, I loved this movie.. after 10 minutes after seeing it in the theater, I knew I had to get the DVD. This is a mindless action flick with an attitude.. Citizen Kane it ain't. Take it for what it's worth. Rather see this again than any of the recent Bond films.

DVD has great audio/video, but the supplements? Even for someone who loved the movie, I found the supplements painful to watch.. How many times do we really need to hear "we wanted to reinvent the spy genre," "the only person for the movie was Vin Diesel," "Vin Diesel is great!"? over and over again, in every single supplement I heard these things..

Worse, the "Diesel" featurette actually seemed like something his talent agent would send to a producer saying how great Vin is.. And the "GTO is back" featurette is a Pontiac Commercial, followed by (ready for this?) marketing reps from Pontiac talking about the new GTO coming out in 2003. A commercial on a DVD? and I paid for this?

And the music video! Oh, that video! This has got to be the worse music video I have EVER seen! Essentially the singer singing in front of a mike with a black curtain behind him, with an occasional snapshot of a movie scene that shows up on the far left. If this is typical of modern music videos, it is no wonder MTV no longer shows them.

Actually, this is all sad because between all the crap, hype and repetitive information there was some real surprises... I will spare people the 2 hours of their lives filtering through all the pain from watching the supplements and highlight what I thought were the juicy stuff worth knowing...

Spoiler:
1) the motocycle scenes at the beginning? (including the incredible jump over the exploding shack).. 100% real.. no cgi, no matte. real driver on a real bike over a real exploding shack with real fire. Extremely dangerous. The barbed wire jumps were 100% real too.. I could have sworn this had SOME sfx... very impressive.
2) Avalanche.. 99.99% CGI. Thought there was at least some real snow!!
3) Exploding shack in the avalanche. 100% CGI.. Wow! I thought this was real wood exploding..
4)AHAB was built to scale. little or no CGI.. another surprise.
5) But the most surprising was that the incredible bungee jumping/car scene at the beginning? 100% real and Vin Diesel did his own stunt! it was really him jumping off the car!!

I was really shocked at the above, and it was ALMOST worth listening to all the "aren't we the greatest artists in the world?" garbage to pick these up.

my suggestion - get the disc, but don't even waste your time on the supplements. If you must, do a play all on the XXX documentary, but that is it.. And for goodness sake stay away from that video!!

hope this helps..

------------------------
You have a problem with flakes on my shoulders? Well, welcome to the Dander Zone!

Last edited by cinemaman; 01-04-03 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-04-03, 09:34 AM
Banned

xXx

cinemaman- I totaly agree with every word.
Old 01-04-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Still worth 15 bux, I agree with cinemaman, the Documentary is the only good extra really. Still, it's one of those movies you can watch over and over again, and still have fun.
Old 01-05-03, 09:40 PM

Do not expend your money

Please do not spend your money in the XXX movie. There are a lot of really good movies worth buying, this is an absolute piece of garbage, intended for pre-school kids whose IQ are below average.

This movie really insults action fans intelligence; the FEW action sequences are completely unimaginative or forced. The avalanche (a best CGI effect in this film) has no reason to exist; and the car scene is so forced and poorly executed that only feels stupid.

Believe me, I already bought the DVD (I did not see the movie in theatres, but the trailers looked good and Vin Diesel has some charisma) but I am regretting absolutely.

This is the first time and action movie feels so boring and childish. Compare to this 007 is Oscar worth. Mr. Cohen did not realise that James Bond movies are imaginative satires with unbelievable stories intended to make fun of action stories, but with enough character and situations development to get people involved in a nice fantasy adventure.

XXX never gets you interested in anything, it tries to be moralistic about smoking (cigarettes will kill you) and suggest that VIDEO GAMES are educational (“what other education we have”) while throwing a car of a bridge for no other reason than to make a statement. The hero is so shallow and unfunny that you do not really care about who is good or bad.

Vin Diesel, usually a good actor is unconvincing and has no charisma at all here (a worse movie like FAST AND THE FURIUS at least gave him some dramatic moments to develop his character). I prefer to not even talk about Samuel Jackson.

Only Asia Argento, makes something interesting with her somber personality.

This movie was not the expected huge success at the box office, and I am grateful at least some people find out that this was a waste of time and money.

If they ever to XXX-2 , let’s hope they have some respect for the viewers.
Old 01-05-03, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
I have to agree, xXx was rather weak. The action was silly, and the dialogue pretty much stunk.

Those 3 or 4 references to playing video games seemed really out of place.

I remember one line where Vin said he was good with guns "because of all those years of playing first person shooters on consoles" or something stupid like that.

He should have just said " all those years of Doom or Quake". He core audience would have know what he was talking about, and it wouldn't have sounded so darn generic. I think that's part of the main problem with the whole movie. It's just too dumbed down.

Anyway, I only rented it for the few shots of Vin in his underwear, so I suppose I got my $3.00 worth.
Old 01-05-03, 10:30 PM
Banned

And who in the world is this Shon guy?

I am highly suspicious that he is promoting this sorry execuse of a movie on the movie studio's behalf.

And as if blatant self promotion wasn't enough, he has to be rude to other forum members. This is intolerable. What do you want from us Shon? Nodding our heads to Diesel getting 100 mil+ contracts for sub par acting.

I think Diesel is aptly named, no wonder the world replaced diesel engines with gasoline engines, they are faster, cleaner, and cheaper. Next time you see Diesel, try pursuade him to change his name Vin Gasoline, maybe that'll lighten up his sagging film career.

Last edited by DVD DVD DVD; 01-05-03 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-06-03, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well here is what i think,

Shoon is really Vin Diesel

so come on Vin,fess up!!!

ts
Old 01-06-03, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Do not expend your money

Originally posted by abisio
If they ever to XXX-2 , let’s hope they have some respect for the viewers.
I believe they are making it right now!

That is why Diesel isn't in Fast and Furious 2, the studio didn't want to pay him that much for doing 2 movies at the same time!!
Old 01-06-03, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought it would be good in a "bad" way but the film is just plain bad. The camera angles used to film Asia Argento were very unflattering as well. She's an attractive woman but you cannot tell it in this movie. Diesel cannot act to save his life.
Old 01-06-03, 11:18 AM
Banned

Oh Shonny boy, where are you... Come out, come out, whereever you are
Old 01-06-03, 01:54 PM
Banned

1st off I apologize if i was rude in any way. And of course Im not Diesel. I'm just big on action movies and this one had some big moments and killer soundtrack. I dont care much for dialouge in an action movie and didnt really expect it from Diesel all that much, Plot?? Guess it would have been nice for them to do a better job with it but again, not what I was really looking for in this film. It was very Entertaining for me and Im not that critical when it comes to action movies like this, if it was a sci-fi or drama then I would be more concerned about it. I guess we agree to disagree.
Old 01-06-03, 02:11 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Shon
And of course Im not Diesel.
That's just what I thought you would say, Herr Diesel...

The above line is funnier if you say it in a really bad German accent. Go ahead...try it!
Old 01-06-03, 02:18 PM
Cool New Member

Vin Diesel: Breakdancer

Oh, and just for fun, here's Vin Diesel breakdancing. It's good to know that it looks like I could have kicked his ass at one point in time...
Old 01-06-03, 02:36 PM

FYI CDwarehouse will give you $9 cash for this movie. Actually that was last week based upon the average retail price. The worker said that it may be more this week since the average retail price would probably be more considering the B&M offer it at a low price on week one. Anyway, I couldn't wait and thought there would be more on the shelves by now. The employee did ask me what I thought of the movie. Since it was after I got my $9 I just laughed and said it was not my type of movie. They will probably try to get $16 for this one used. I paid $13 new. Unbelievable!! About as unbelievable as this movie's plot, stunts, acting and announced sequel.
Old 01-10-03, 08:48 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I didn't think it was as bad as most people here do, but it wasn't great either. 2 hours for this type of action movie is to long. If it would have been cutdown by about a half hour, and I see no reason why it could not have, it might have been better.

The snowboarding scene was the best scene in the movie.

For the $10 I paid for it I'm satisfied.
Old 01-10-03, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

During the drug camp action scene there is one shot that is almost worth the price of the movie. It's that helicopter (?) shot that shows a sideview of a MASSIVE explosion while a motorcycle & rider make a HUGE slow-mo jump through it. It's such an incredible, perfectly realized image. A shame that the film (even in the action department) never reaches those heights again.
Old 01-10-03, 11:10 PM
Cool New Member

Yeah, the stunts were good, but you can have great stunts and an engaging, believable plot too.

Compare xXx to Die Hard. Die Hard had some awesome action sequences and it strung them together with a great plot. It's a classic. It two years, no one will be renting xXx.

Last edited by hipnerd; 01-11-03 at 11:34 PM.
Old 01-11-03, 07:28 AM

Good Point Die Hard has some unbelievable stunts. But it also had a somewhat believable plot and good actors and witty lines. It certainly redefined the over the top action genre and did it well. It will always be on my short list of all time greats.

However, I was thinking that the title of this thread is more about the DVD and not the movie. So, to give credit where it is due I will address that as others have. The surround track is well done with a balanced LFE channel. Thinking about the avalanche scene (the best part about the movie IMO). The extras are empty except for the GTO ad. Still I would not buy it to showcase my surround sound or video. There are much better reference discs that are worth watching as well as showing off your gear.
Old 01-11-03, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Vin Diesel: Breakdancer

Originally posted by hipnerd
Oh, and just for fun, here's Vin Diesel breakdancing. It's good to know that it looks like I could have kicked his ass at one point in time...
what a fruit.

ts
Old 01-11-03, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Watched the movie with a buddy while our wives went on a walk.

All I can say is we had a great time watching the movie. It was fun to watch and listen to. Man the sound was Great!

If you like action, you will love this movie.
Old 01-11-03, 11:30 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Iron_Giant
Watched the movie with a buddy while our wives went on a walk.

All I can say is we had a great time watching the movie. It was fun to watch and listen to. Man the sound was Great!

If you like action, you will love this movie.
You may be biased, Iron Giant, as Vin was the voice of the "Iron Giant" in the movie of the same name.

Great movie, by the way. Probably my favorite Vin Diesel performance to date. I still think he has potential, but he won't take chances on better material if the public buys millions of tickets to mediocre action flicks.

And I do agree with the many comments that there are great stunts and an awesome sound track on the DVD. But I talked myself into buying Twister to show off my sound system ,and I'm not making a mistake like that again.

Last edited by hipnerd; 01-11-03 at 11:35 PM.
Old 01-12-03, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought this as a blind purchase, and I could actually feel my intelligence draining away.

I'm not particularly adverse to dumb (but fun) movies, or stunt heavy movies. This one just failed for me. The premise was goofy, and the execution was even goofier. Samuel L. Jackson made good with his part, but it was relatively minor.

Definitely rent before you buy. (Funny note: I live in a college town. I bought my copy on the day it was released. Two days later, I went in to trade it in for credit at a local store, and there was a stack of used copies that people had sold back to the store... apparently, even a lot of college kids felt the same way I did).
Old 01-12-03, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by hipnerd
You may be biased, Iron Giant, as Vin was the voice of the "Iron Giant" in the movie of the same name.

Great movie, by the way. Probably my favorite Vin Diesel performance to date. I still think he has potential, but he won't take chances on better material if the public buys millions of tickets to mediocre action flicks.

And I do agree with the many comments that there are great stunts and an awesome sound track on the DVD. But I talked myself into buying Twister to show off my sound system ,and I'm not making a mistake like that again.
Now that is funny. I did not remember that he did the Giants voice. I guess it was in the back of my mind somewhere.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.