Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

When Boys Fly (Gay) - One Helluva Ride!

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.
View Poll Results: Have you ever been to a circuit party?
yes
0%
no
0%
thinking about it
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-02, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What happens when you take a handful of guys, mix them with thousands of well built, extremely attractive men, throw in some glamour drugs, sex and add a pulsating soundtrack? One helluva ride!

In this latest release to dvd, “When Boys Fly”, takes you along a journey into the underground world of the circuit party and follows a group of guys ala “ MTV’s Real World” into this scene of buff bods, heavy duty drugs, and all night partying. It’s probably a world many of us have never seen and after watching this I’m really not sure I want to. It’s captivating and saddening watching all these gorgeous men party the night away reaching for something most of them will never find. Escaping from their problems and or lives most resort to drugs like ecstacy, “g”, and alcohol. And we get to see it all.

Directors Stewart Halpern and Lenid Rolov began the project by posting a website called www.GayRealWorld.com requesting applicants. After receiving thousands of entries they handpicked a select group to be filmed while attending the “White Party” in Miami. And thus the adventure begins.

Meet Tone. Tone is a regular to the circuit world, who against the wishes of his roommate Scott, decides to attend even after he is told he would be kicked out of the house if he gets into trouble with drugs. Tone is a frenzied party animal and has a drug and alcohol addiction.

Brandon is a straight laced, only child from a Republican family and has never been to a circuit party or seems to have much in the way of a “gay” life and takes this opportunity to see what it’s all about. He’s out to his mom and seems to have a very close relationship with her and even at one point calls her from the party! A well mannered, cute, adorable guy. The film somewhat centers around him as he’s the “guy next door” type and I did find myself relating more to him then the rest.

With a bit of soap opera thrown in, we have Todd, a well built, handsome guy in his mid thirties who is dating a much younger cutie named Jon, 19 at the time. The two of them have also brought along Jason, another young guy who had dated Todd in the past and now all three are friends. Jon seemed a bit hesitant at attending and all three have their own issues to deal with. A disaster just waiting to happen.

Finally, although not an integral character we are introduced to Johnnie another buff, single guy from New York City who is just looking for love. But in all the wrong places.

These are real guys, with real problems and they never hesitate at sharing their thoughts and emotions. The cameras follow these guys from their homes, to Miami, the pool party and into the evening at this infamous world that not everyone has or will experience. But “When Boys Fly” takes you there you really become immersed in the event and I found myself completely drawn in. At times I felt like I wanted to be there and at others sad and sickened by what these guys were doing to themselves. Jeffrey Sanker, a promoter of such events, says at one point, “these guys work hard, and they deserve to play hard”. You be the judge. “When Boys Fly” is an excellent, intimate and intriguing look into the world of the underground party circuit.

The dvd runs also includes interviews with Tone and Brandon two years later, audition tapes, over 20 minutes of deleted scenes, interview with director Kevin Weiler, running commentary with the director and Brandon, biographies and four trailers for other TLA releases.

When Boys Fly
TLA Releasing