Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Glengarry Glen Ross...WOW!!!

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-02, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just finished my review of Artisan's new 10th anniversay DVD edition of the incredible film adaptation of David Mamet's Glengarry Glen Ross. This is the type of disc that I love to review. This is the type of disc that I love to own. This is the type of movie that answers the question, "why do you collect movies?".

Despite Artisan's less than stellar record of DVD production, this is a disc that stands among the very best there is for sheer production quality, Superbits inclusive. From the opening frames of the film, this transfer is so clean, so sharp, so detailed, so...so...perfect, that the TV screen disappears to reveal a voyeur's glimpse of one of the finest acted dramas ever put to celluloid.

And if you need any more prodding than that, read my full review at the usual place..
Old 11-10-02, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's great to hear. I've been looking forward to this film based upon word-of-mouth and I certainly plan on buying this set and finally seeing it.

Great review!
Old 11-10-02, 01:30 PM

Gracias. I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Old 11-10-02, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Arghh...the 19th can't get here fast enough now!
Old 11-10-02, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am glad you enjoyed it. I have never made it all the way through this movie. It just never grabbed me. Maybe I need to give it another try.
Old 11-10-02, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

looks like a fine disc.

it sucks that they put that "bonus" commentary track ONLY on the pan & scam version of it though..
Old 11-10-02, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
I haven't received my copy yet. Is there any explanation for why Artisan didn't include the Jack Lemmon audio commentary from the laserdisc?
Old 11-10-02, 05:16 PM

No explanation, other than the obvious. That DTS track is taking the space that could have been the commentary track from the second disc and the Lemmon commentary, and space left over.

As it is, I'm sure disc space is the issue. Disc one has the 100 minute film, DD 5.1, DTS 5.1, two DD 2.0, commentary track, and the 30-minute documentary.

As long as there is the mindset in some of these marketing departments that DTS will sell more discs, compromise will be the rule, not the exception. It would be nice if more so-called educated consumers would understand this and stop yelling for DTS.
Old 11-10-02, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Actually, if the 4x3 version of the film had been dropped from the set, the 30 min documentay could've been moved to disc 2, and Lemmon's commentary would've fit.

Or the 2.0 English track could've been replaced by the commentary.

It's all a matter of Aritisan juggling the extra features, and trying to figure out what will fit that will increase sales.

Of course, Artisan simply might not have had the rights to the Lemmon commentary for some reason.
Old 11-10-02, 06:13 PM

Actually, if the 4x3 version of the film had been dropped from the set, the 30 min documentay could've been moved to disc 2, and Lemmon's commentary would've fit.
Point taken, and this would have been the better way to go, IMO.

On the other hand, it is obvious that Artisan is trying to be all things to all people. That inevitably leads to compromise.
Old 11-10-02, 06:21 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Very nice review! I am eagerly anticipating this one.
Old 11-10-02, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

there is a god. been waitin' for this to hit dvd for 2 years. saw this on the BIG screen twice. i was in sales at the time so it really connected with my feelings of pressure and desperation run amuck. the stand-out quality of the film however is the chemistry of the huge cast and the perfect dialogue. Ed Harris and Lemmon are on fire, and there is a feeling of classic and forever timeless moments as you watch this film. worthy of several repeated veiwings, and im proof with around 50 sit-throughs. i often shared this film with friends and enjoyed seeing thier reactions as they drooled along with the worn vhs copy. its in my top 10 of all time and i will always be its biggest fan. walking out of the theatre, after seeing it on opening day, ive never felt so strongly for a "new" film. i think ive pee'd myself again....Woooo Hooooo!!!

"you never open your mouth, till you know what the shot is"

Gut's DVD's
Old 11-10-02, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I saw this movie on an airplane, which means I didn't really see this movie. I'm anxious to see what all the commotion is all about.
Old 11-10-02, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Alec Baldwin in this film has one of the finest cameos ever
Old 11-10-02, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i know it's beginning to sound cliche...but November 19th is going to be like an early Christmas for me. can't WAIT.
Old 11-10-02, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sweet...

I ordered this on Amazon, along with South Park. I've heard some grumbling about South Park (i.e. CD commentaries, poor transfer), but this definitely makes me feel better!
Old 11-10-02, 11:35 PM

Great movie; seems to evoke different responses from people, depending on their background, personality, etc. Some people, while recognizing the quailty of the screenplay and the perfomances (from a stellar cast, all at the top of their form), will claim they found the film almost too intense to watch. OTOH, if you have had any experience in sales, you will find much humor in this fim. Highly recommended.
Old 11-11-02, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Excellent news. This is a movie in need of a *proper* DVD release.
Old 11-11-02, 09:15 AM
Banned

Still....

VERY aggravating that they didn't put that Lemmon commentary on it...

AND looks like there's no real documentary from the actors in regards to making the film. All background.
Old 11-11-02, 09:39 AM

...AND looks like there's no real documentary from the actors in regards to making the film. All background.
True, but personally, I found most of the supplemental material more interesting than the usual production featurette. The tribute to Jack Lemmon is completely engrossing, at least it was to me.
Old 11-11-02, 09:50 AM
Banned

As someone who's a bit younger and into "newer" actors, I'd have loved some stuff with Pacino (huge fan) and Spacey and the rest. I'm sure the tribute will be nice...but I'm hoping that it's more about the actors discussing his contribution to THIS film rather than just a tribute tacked on for no reason.

Don't get me wrong...i'm a HUGE fan of this film and I remember seeing it in the movies when I was 14 and loving it. I can finally get rid of my laserdisc version. I just wish there was more movie-oriented background on it. I don't mind the featurettes sometimes as they might be the only "background footage" we're given for a film.
Old 11-11-02, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by mjlukich
Great movie; seems to evoke different responses from people, depending on their background, personality, etc. Some people, while recognizing the quailty of the screenplay and the perfomances (from a stellar cast, all at the top of their form), will claim they found the film almost too intense to watch. OTOH, if you have had any experience in sales, you will find much humor in this fim. Highly recommended.
In my experience, men relate better to this film than women. My wife, for example, despises the film for no rational reason.
Old 11-11-02, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by Robert George
No explanation, other than the obvious. That DTS track is taking the space that could have been the commentary track from the second disc and the Lemmon commentary, and space left over.

As it is, I'm sure disc space is the issue. Disc one has the 100 minute film, DD 5.1, DTS 5.1, two DD 2.0, commentary track, and the 30-minute documentary.

As long as there is the mindset in some of these marketing departments that DTS will sell more discs, compromise will be the rule, not the exception. It would be nice if more so-called educated consumers would understand this and stop yelling for DTS.
RIGHT ON!!! ... to be quite honest... I'd rather watch a movie in DD 4.0 and have a Jack Lemmon commentary (One of the greatest actors of the 20th century) then provide the movie with an additional type of audio source. Especially since Jack always said that this was the greatest cast of actors he had ever worked with on a movie before. Stands to reason his thoughts on the film, not to mention new commentary by David Mamet would have fueled even greater sales than a movie that would barely show off DTS technology.
Old 11-11-02, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by Random
Alec Baldwin in this film has one of the finest cameos ever
How about it?!?! ...He was the best Jack Ryan too IMO.
Old 11-11-02, 01:56 PM
Banned

Is there any participation from David Mamet on the disc. I would have loved a commentary or interview with Mamet. I think this is one film where I can say, "Who cares about the director?" It's all about the cast and the screenplay.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.