Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Disney's "Beauty and the Beast" review @ DVDFile

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-02, 09:45 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...east_1991.html

With three versions of the film on one disc, I fear my machine will either reject the disc or break entirely. This should have been a three disc release IMO.
Old 09-27-02, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i really f#%king hate Di$ney... 3 movies into 1 disc?? you've got to be sh#tin' me
Old 10-01-02, 07:56 AM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Still sounds like a winner to me.
Old 10-01-02, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Snow White was given 2 discs, why not Beauty and the Beast?
Old 10-01-02, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm still very excited to get my hands on this. Just hurry up and give me Lion King and I'll be a very happy camper.
Old 10-01-02, 10:32 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by JaxComet
It is. Disney SHOULD have made this a three disc set.
Old 10-01-02, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by JaxComet
Say what? We have to buy the 2nd disc separately? It looked pretty decent to me...

Disc 2:

The Story Behind The Story

Character Profile Game

Disney's Enchanted Environments

The Broadway Musical

Disney's Animation Magic

Chip's Musical Challenge Game

"Beauty And The Beast" Music Video By Jump 5

"Break The Spell" Adventure Game

The Story--Bringing The Story To The Screen, Early Presentation Reel

The Music--Alternate Score: The Transformation, Alternate Version: "Be Our Guest," Deleted Song: "Human Again," Beauty And The Beast Music Video, Original Demo Recordings With Introduction By Alan Menken

The Art--Designing Beauty And The Beast, Art & Design Gallery

The Characters--Character Galleries, Animating Beauty And The Beast

Pencil Version: The Transformation

Animation Tests

Setting The Stage

Layouts & Background Gallery

Tricks Of The Trade

Camera Move Test

Release & Reaction, Poster & Ad Design, Trailers & TV Spots, Large Format Trailer
Old 10-01-02, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Cornfed
Say what? We have to buy the 2nd disc separately? It looked pretty decent to me...

Disc 2:

The Story Behind The Story

Character Profile Game

Disney's Enchanted Environments

The Broadway Musical

Disney's Animation Magic

Chip's Musical Challenge Game

"Beauty And The Beast" Music Video By Jump 5

"Break The Spell" Adventure Game

The Story--Bringing The Story To The Screen, Early Presentation Reel

The Music--Alternate Score: The Transformation, Alternate Version: "Be Our Guest," Deleted Song: "Human Again," Beauty And The Beast Music Video, Original Demo Recordings With Introduction By Alan Menken

The Art--Designing Beauty And The Beast, Art & Design Gallery

The Characters--Character Galleries, Animating Beauty And The Beast

Pencil Version: The Transformation

Animation Tests

Setting The Stage

Layouts & Background Gallery

Tricks Of The Trade

Camera Move Test

Release & Reaction, Poster & Ad Design, Trailers & TV Spots, Large Format Trailer

Ohh!...Okay.....I thought everything was crammed on one....
Old 10-01-02, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
B & The B is a 2 disk set just like Snow White:

Quote from dvdfile.com

"As number two in Disney's ten-title Platinum Edition adventure, Beauty and the Beast follows in the footsteps of the acclaimed Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs two-disc fiesta, and is almost the equal of that award-winner."
Old 10-02-02, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the guy who runs htf did a review and says that there are no problems with the picture at all (he watched the thearetical version)
Old 10-04-02, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This the one DVD my wife has actually TOLD me to buy. She highly dissaproves of my DVD habit. I have to admit I'm also looking forward to it. Glad to see it in a Platinum Edition. I just hope this Di$ney disc works.
Old 10-05-02, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
The 3rd version (Special Edition) merely has an extra scene added into it. Did they really put three copies on here or did they just use seemless branching to add in the one scene?

Also, has anybody else noticed a "shimmer" particularly around the black animation lines?

EDITED TO ADD: I guess I should have looked at the review first! I've only watched the Special Edition so far, and it seemed that it was almost too cleaned up -- very bright and somewhat distracting. And that damn shimmer must come from that . . .

Last edited by Abob Teff; 10-05-02 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-05-02, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Abob Teff
The 3rd version (Special Edition) merely has an extra scene added into it. Did they really put three copies on here or did they just use seemless branching to add in the one scene?
Only one complete new scene may have been added, but Disney also went back and re-animated significant portions of the movie to add extra detailing that would be visible in IMAX resolution.

Whether the DVD contains three complete titles or just uses seamless branching is being investigated now. Different people have different explanations. We're waiting to hear back from Buena Vista on the matter.
Old 10-06-02, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does any one know if it takes less space to compress a movie that is animated because the backgrounds can be the same and color at times can be more even?

That is why I think they are able to get away the 2 movies on one disk.
Old 10-07-02, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Iron_Giant
Does any one know if it takes less space to compress a movie that is animated because the backgrounds can be the same and color at times can be more even?

That is why I think they are able to get away the 2 movies on one disk.
Animated titles are harder to compress because using too much compression smears away subtle line detail that changes marginally from frame to frame.
Old 10-08-02, 01:41 PM

Watched B&TB last night. I thought is looked great. I saw this movie in IMAX and much of the shading, contrast and color translates well onto DVD. I did notice some compression artifacts but not really very many.

This movie has never looked this good on any home video format. I highly suggest picking it up.
Old 10-08-02, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't know if this has been asked already, but does anybody know what the I on the spnie of this set is for?
Old 10-08-02, 06:36 PM

I have actually looked at several of the features on the second disc. I wasn't that impressed. I guess I was hoping for a more thorough documentary and they just glossed over one various topics which didn't even talk about casting the voices. ( There other documentaries such Snow White and a lot of the VHS treasures, I thought were very good) What was good was comparing the Disney Story version to the orginal story. I haven't seen the rest maybe I will be surprised but for a Platinum Edition I was slightly disappointed. ( THe movie I heard is very good and am looking forward to)
Old 10-08-02, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by cblount
Watched B&TB last night. I thought is looked great. I saw this movie in IMAX and much of the shading, contrast and color translates well onto DVD. I did notice some compression artifacts but not really very many.

This movie has never looked this good on any home video format. I highly suggest picking it up.

I agree. I didn't notice any of the problems that some reviews have been talking about. The theatrical version looked fine....
Old 10-09-02, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by pantala
Don't know if this has been asked already, but does anybody know what the I on the spnie of this set is for?
I believe it is the number of the "Belle Collection" entry. I think all of the rest of the straight-to-video knock-offs of this movie are numbered, as well.
Old 10-09-02, 08:55 AM
Cool New Member

it looks the way it looked when i saw it in imax. it takes a while to get used to how the lines are crisp and not very fine or even like disney animation is now. maybe they use software to smooth out that stuff now? i dunno. maybe thats the kind of gripe people have with it. i originally saw the movie on vhs on a regular small tv so i remembered it differently with soft lines. when i saw it on imax i was kinda surprised.
Old 10-10-02, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since this is my favorite animated movie (and arguably my favorite movie, period) I was very eager for this release. I'm very sad by how washed out and bland the entire movie looks (all three versions have the same color problems). The colors are quite lighter than the vhs version and the original theatrical release in 1991. Belle went from having dark brown hair and eyes to having dark auburn/chestnut hair and light brown/hazel eyes. I vividly remember the theatrical colors since I myself have dark brown hair and eyes, and was thrilled there was finally a disney princess who looked like me. I dislike the remastering intensely, as all of the depth and richness has been sucked out of the film. Now it looks flat and more like a direct to video release than the masterpiece it is.

And since all three versions looked the same to me (washed out in the color scenes) I think seamless branching was used. I was hoping the work in progress or theatrical version would look different than the special edition, but they don't. I should say that I completely disagree with the review on dvdfile, as they mention the film being too dark in places, whereas for me it was far too bright the entire time. My tv isn't capable of hd, so the imax special details don't show up for me (making the finished scenes look the same for all three versions on my tv). What does show up however is how bland all of the colors look, and how the beast's castle lost its brooding gothic lighting. Now it's as if the castle is in broad daylight during the night scenes. I have no idea if the reviewer saw the original release in 91, but I doubt it.

I'm actually (shockingly) glad I kept my vhs copy, as I prefer the colors in it by leaps and bounds. My desire to have it in OAR is warring with my desire for it to have the depth of colors and richness that it is supposed to have. I think the CAP system has done a horrible job with this film, and I think it suffers from the "imax treatment." I couldn't be more upset at how this film was transferred to dvd.

Last edited by WarriorPrincess; 10-10-02 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-11-02, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by WarriorPrincess
I should say that I completely disagree with the review on dvdfile, as they mention the film being too dark in places, whereas for me it was far too bright the entire time.
Forgive me for asking, but have you calibrated your TV with a Video Essentials or Avia disc?

What you saw in the theater is not necessarily the be-all-and-end-all of proper picture presentation. Many theaters cut the wattage to their projectors to save bulb life, especially during afternoon matinee shows. I've seen a number of movies in the theater that were simply projected too dark.

Last edited by Josh Z; 10-11-02 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-12-02, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Josh Z
Forgive me for asking, but have you calibrated your TV with a Video Essentials or Avia disc?

What you saw in the theater is not necessarily the be-all-and-end-all of proper picture presentation. Many theaters cut the wattage to their projectors to save bulb life, especially during afternoon matinee shows. I've seen a number of movies in the theater that were simply projected too dark.
Hi Josh,
No worries for asking. My tv is calibrated properly (a friend brought a calibration disc over, I don't know which it was) and I've never had to turn down the brightness (to almost nothing) before, and I've watched well over 400 dvds and countless vhs and tv shows and movies on satellite. The brightness is normally so low that the room needs to be virtually cut off from all light to be able to view the screen properly. In a very few instances I've had to turn up the brightness because the movie was just too dark (like with Highlander on dvd - crappy transfer). The thought that the tv was set too bright is just unthinkable (I was warned of the horrors of burn in before I ever turned on the tv for the first time, so it was carefully calibrated then and again after this situation).

Oh how I wish it was just my tv, but it isn't. The actual animation itself was replaced - from hand-drawn to computer drawn. Same with the backgrounds. And apparently with the color scheme. What was red is now pink, and what was brown is now red (even the beast himself is now reddish instead of brown). It's just a horrible "remastering" of the original film (not to mention both the edits, especially on the mis-named "original theatrical cut," and the hard matting that cuts off the top and bottom of the picture). They've completely changed the animation. I'm at a loss - so many people don't even know because they have no basis for comparison that I fear that Disney will not only fail to fix Beauty and the Beast but will also do the same thing to the rest of the classics. I shudder to think of what will happen to the gorgeous hand-painted backgrounds in Sleeping Beauty.
Old 10-12-02, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by WarriorPrincess
No worries for asking. My tv is calibrated properly (a friend brought a calibration disc over, I don't know which it was) and I've never had to turn down the brightness (to almost nothing) before, and I've watched well over 400 dvds and countless vhs and tv shows and movies on satellite. The brightness is normally so low that the room needs to be virtually cut off from all light to be able to view the screen properly. In a very few instances I've had to turn up the brightness because the movie was just too dark (like with Highlander on dvd - crappy transfer). The thought that the tv was set too bright is just unthinkable (I was warned of the horrors of burn in before I ever turned on the tv for the first time, so it was carefully calibrated then and again after this situation).
OK. I had to ask.

Oh how I wish it was just my tv, but it isn't. The actual animation itself was replaced - from hand-drawn to computer drawn. Same with the backgrounds. And apparently with the color scheme. What was red is now pink, and what was brown is now red (even the beast himself is now reddish instead of brown). It's just a horrible "remastering" of the original film (not to mention both the edits, especially on the mis-named "original theatrical cut," and the hard matting that cuts off the top and bottom of the picture). They've completely changed the animation. I'm at a loss - so many people don't even know because they have no basis for comparison that I fear that Disney will not only fail to fix Beauty and the Beast but will also do the same thing to the rest of the classics. I shudder to think of what will happen to the gorgeous hand-painted backgrounds in Sleeping Beauty.
I haven't seen the Beauty and the Beast disc for myself yet, but Disney bringing out their digital paint boxes to "touch up" old movies is not a new phenomenon, unfortunately. They've been doing it for years, and there was quite a controversy about it when Pinocchio was re-released to theaters in the mid-90s.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.