Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Strictly Ballroom?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-02, 06:39 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strictly Ballroom?

I have some interest in the upcoming Red Curtain Trilogy DVD set coming out in September. I liked Moulin Rouge as well as Romeo + Juliet, but have never seen Strictly Ballroom. Is the movie very visually oriented a-la Moulin Rouge? Does it have the quick paced editing? Is there a plot here, or is it just a romantic dancing film?

Any opinions on the movie / DVD are appreciated.
Old 09-01-02, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i have Moulin Rouge DVD for about a year now... still sealed

i like musical, specialy the old one (Sound of Music, Grease, ect)

Strickly Ballroom is ok for me... it wasn't a big budget movie, so expect a low budget quality from the actors/actress... the story is pretty simple: competition, family tradition, ambition, romance, & so on...

the main actor was a real champion dancer or something, he is good.

it wasn't a musical movie... well, it full of music but nobody singing.

the DVD is nice... picture quality is ok, it feels like watching Anchor Bay DVDs for some reason....

in conclusion, it is a nice movie & DVD too...

PS: i never like romeo & Juliet... maybe because of Leonardo... i dunno, maybe i should give it another try

hope it helps
Old 09-01-02, 12:20 AM
Banned

It's a movie that is kind of old-fashion love story.
The dvd is good.
Old 09-02-02, 11:50 PM

Strictly Ballroom was the feel-good movie of the year when it was released at the cinemas and went on to become one of the most successful Australian films outside of Australia - and rightly so when you consider the modest budget this film was made on (as is the case with most Australian films by the way).

It has a storyline based on the great Australian theme of the underdog prevailing against all of the odds. It features superb use of colour, wonderful dancing, great characterisations, and very good acting. The theme is probably fairly universal, but you are at a definite advantage if you are familiar with Australian humour and can pick up on the nuances in the script... the characters could not come from anywhere but Australia.

If you are at all familiar with the Japanese film Shall We Dansu? (which was, I am sure, influenced in part by Strictly Ballroom), then you will already have a bit of an idea about what to expect - and that is one film that should have a DVD release!!

I really cannot recommend Strictly Ballroom highly enough, and would even go so far as to say that in my opinion this is possibly still Luhrman's best film to date.

regards, Tim...

Last edited by hardtack; 09-02-02 at 11:55 PM.