Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review needed:Imposter

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-02, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review needed:Imposter

This movie looks alright, but I heard it didn't do well in the theatres. I want to buy it, but first a review by any fellow dvd talkers would be appreciated.
Old 08-10-02, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...poor Philip K. Dick...

...Despite Sinise's thespian gravitas, and the movie's imaginative art direction and spirited, even frenetic editing, director Gary Fleder's adaptation of Philip K. Dick's 1952 short story, "The Impostor" never takes off.
The story, which includes familiar elements from other Dick film adaptations, including "Blade Runner" and "Total Recall," feels too slight and hackneyed. The movie automatically pegs itself for the straight-to-video sci-fi rental shelf.

From Desson Howe's review in The Washington Post

...like I say: poor Philip K. Dick...

...at least the DVD, which features the Director's Cut, seems to be alright...

...still... poor Philip K. Dick...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 08-10-02 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-11-02, 01:31 AM

I thought the story was intersting, but the execution could have been better. Maybe with a bigger budget this film could have turned into something memorable. As it is right now, it seems like little more than an extended Outer Limits episode.

By the way, not only did they steal the uniforms from Starship Troopers, but they even used an entire shot from Starhip Troopers during the opening sequence!!! (The one from FedNet, where they show Buenos Aires obliterated after the asteroid hit), but presented in a different context in this film. Was I the only one who noticed this? What a ripoff!!!!
Old 08-12-02, 07:41 AM

I didn't buy this movie because of all the negative reviews - I rented it instead. Contrary to the opinions however, I enjoyed this movie! I found it entertaining!

It seems to be a frequent occurence that entertaining sci-fi movies get negative reviews and/or comments among (what I consider to be) pseudo movie critics. It sure would be appreciated here if those folks who don't really care for sci-fi would keep their biased opinions to themselves. Not trying to start a fight - just MHO.
Old 08-12-02, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I though it was a good movie. Just like Philip's style if you know what I mean - He seems to like messing up your head during the telling of the story. I like that

I recommended it to a buddy and he also liked it. He is a much bigger Philip K. Dick fan than me.

Definatley a renter though- can't say I'd ever rewatch it enough to buy it.
Old 08-13-02, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
I thought this was a decent little Philip K. Dick adaptation. As a bonus, the DVD includes the original short film on which the feature is based. Check out my review...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=4294
Old 08-13-02, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts
I also enjoyed it... much better than any of the reviews made it out to be. Loved the ending!!! Some pretty good extra's on there also.
Old 08-14-02, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have to agree w/Vadox. It was enjoyable but seemed more like I was watching TNT Original movie rather that a feature film.I like Gary Sinese and Vincent D'Ornicoflo as actors and thought they made this a much better film. Could have done without Mehki Pfifer's ABM character, though.
Old 08-14-02, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was pleasantly surprised with this film after hearing such negative reviews. I actually went out and bought it for my collection (although I'll probably watch the "short" version a lot more than the feature length).
Old 08-16-02, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts
Shots were lifted from many recent sci-fi flicks. Look for Armageddon as well.

(Failed link removed, review reposted instead.)

The short stories of Philip K. **** have provided us with some memorable science fiction films. “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?” was adapted into the Ridley Scott’s sci-fi staple movie “Blade Runner” with Harrison Ford. Arnold Schwarzenegger and Paul Verhoeven brought “Total Recall” to the big screen. More recently the pairing of Steven Spielberg and Tom Cruise has brought life to “Minority Report.” “Impostor” is another of ****’s stories adapted for the screen, unfortunately it just isn’t as memorable.

Gary Sinise portrays a scientist (Dr. Olham) who has just returned from vacation for the unveiling of his latest creation, a weapon that is supposed to win an intergalactic war that has ravaged the earth. When the good doctor returns to work though, he is quickly whisked away by a government security force led by Vincent D’Onofrio (Major Hathaway). Hathaway lets Dr. Olham in on a little secret: the good doctor is not who, or even what, he thinks he is. Very quickly Olham is on the run trying to prove that he is not an alien weapon impersonating the doctor.

Starring two actors whom I am yet to see a bad performance from, “Impostor” has a great cast in place. D’Onofrio portrays the stereotypical arch-nemesis with poignant accuracy, complete with over the top “bad guy” mannerisms and phrases (including the little fu-manchu beard). Sinise is more believable than the many all too convenient escapes his character manages. The supporting cast is loaded with talent: Madeline Stowe as Maya Olham; Tony Shalhoub as Nelson (the doc’s best friend); and Mekhi Pfifer as Cale (a downtrodden “resistance fighter” who helps the doc).

The story is somewhat muddled and filled with too many contrivances. It always amazes me how mild mannered scientists can always outwit, outfight, and outshoot highly trained military forces. It is also naggingly curious that the government has no interest in actually testing the doctor to see if he is an alien assassin. If you want to ignore plot holes and just enjoy the sci-f scenery, check out “Impostor.” If you want a clever sci-fi mystery, wait for “Minority Report” later this year. 3 Stars.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 08-16-02 at 03:31 AM.
Old 08-16-02, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Decided to purchase dvd a couple of days ago, and the ending is really excellent. I like the fact that you really couldn't figure out if he might be a centurian. This movie has a Total recall and the Fugitive type atmosphere. I give it 7/10.
Old 11-06-02, 09:07 PM

I enjoyed this film very much, not because of the pure suspense of the chase, but because it occasionally delves into the mind of the characters - you see decisions being made - some extremely wrong, too. It reminds me of the way in which you "connect" with the minds of the characters in "Fail-Safe"...

All in all a perfectly enjoyable SF film, and I will add it to my collection.