Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review wanted: GOLIATH & THE DRAGON

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 06-30-02, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is this Something Weird disk?
Old 06-30-02, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...ahh... did you check DVD Savant's review in the Reviews section of this very site?... no?... why not?... ever consider using the Search facility?... no?... why not?...

...tisk... tisk... tisk...

. . . . . .
Old 06-30-02, 12:16 PM

I had done that already, but I'm not one to base a purchase off one review. I'd like others' opinions as well.

Furthermore, I searched for "goliath dragon" in all open forums and only two threads came up, neither of which are reviews. So, to answer your question, yes, I *always* use the search first. Why assume I'm an idiot and reply so condescendingly? That's not what this forum is really for.

Last edited by RLott; 06-30-02 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-30-02, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...ahh... your original question was formulated thusly: "How is this Something Weird disk?"... specifically concerning the disc (as opposed to the movie as such), Savant wrote: "Something Weird's DVD of Goliath and the Dragon is like their other releases, a "B" attraction transformed into an "A" attraction via a wealth of added interesting goodies. A cartload of trailers for other sword 'n sorcery titles is included. One special short subject appears to be a cutdown of a 'Sons of Hercules' episode, which features that series' hilarious title song. Another is a funny muscleman montage, and a third, called 'Hercules Oblivious', has a male bodybuilder striking poses and ignoring the sexy dancer who prances around him. The menus are funny too: instead of 'Play Movie', the command is 'Start Flexing.' Something Weird has included an entire second feature, The Conqueror of Atlantis, which is pan 'n scanned and looks like it came from closer to the bottom of the barrel. But that's just like Something Weird ... if the quality bugs you, the quantity makes up for it.

The transfer of Goliath and the Dragon is pretty good, very colorful and basically intact. It's not 16:9 enhanced, which is a disappointment. Some scenes seem a bit off color - the elephant scene is a bit bluish, but nothing major. The transfer is quite handsome so the variances must just be source problems. The stirring title theme and the rest of the score come through nicely on the clean audio track.

Savant does have a major complaint about the disc. There's nothing on here unsuitable for any child old enough to see juvenile traumatic stuff like elephants threatening to crush people. The DVD cover would appeal to any kid. But the disc has Something Weird's standard opening montage, with scenes from all of their really sleazy exploitation fare ... not good. I won't be pulling this one out at my house ...

On a scale of Excellent, Good, Fair, and Poor,
Goliath and the Dragon rates:
Movie: Good -, just plain Good if you're a fan of Pepla/Sword 'n Sandal
Video: Good
Sound: Good+
Supplements: a horde of muscleman trailers, and three short subjects, plus an entire second film, The Conqueror of Atlantis
Packaging: Amaray case
"

...so, I ask you: what more is there to know?... you expect someone else to tell you that the transfer stinks, the extras are junk, forget all about this release if you know what's good for you?... (in case you didn't know, Something Weird releases are, arguably, the "CC" of B, C & D - and beyond - movies, lovingly assembled and presented)...

P.S.: Just for you: here's another POV of this DVD:
http://www.dvdauthority.com/goliathandthedragon.asp

(signed) Unapologetic Me

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 06-30-02 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-30-02, 02:42 PM

>>>so, I ask you: what more is there to know?