Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

2 blind purchases...post your thoughts

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-02, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just blindly ordered 2 movies at once off of amazon.I rarely buy one DVD blindly,much less 2 at once.I am nervous and must be reassured that I didn't just ruin my DVD collection.I bought PT Anderson's Hard Eight,his debut feature and Jules and Jim,a Francois Truffaut film.Please tell me how these movies are my friends.I hope I did the right thing.
Old 05-28-02, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
love Hard Eight.
interesting character study, and the disc looks spectacular.

tried twice to watch Jules & Jim, but i just can't get into it. has many fans though.
i just can't appreciate any of the Truffaut films i've tried to see.
i don't know about the quality of that disc, (its fox/lorber right?...they are really hit and miss, mostly miss though).
Old 05-28-02, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like both films a lot. Hard Eight is a great disc.
Jules et Jim is a masterpiece, but Criterion recently acquired the rights for this film through a deal with Wellspring, formerly Fox-Lorber, whatever, and will probably be giving it much better treatment. I'll have to sell my Fox Lorber version when Criterion releases theirs, but if you don't mind waiting and can still take it back, I would suggest waiting for the Criterion.
Old 05-29-02, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...fwiw... MNSHO: Hard Eight = two thumbs up (both movie and generously endowed DVD)...YMMV, of course!

http://www.dvdmg.com/hardeight.shtml

. . . . . .
Old 05-29-02, 09:41 AM

I wouldn't mind selling my Jules and Jim at all if criterion comes out with a better version.Alot of people get all pissy when they have to buy the same movie twice.It doesn't matter to me at all.It's just so simple in my eyes.All you have to do is sell/trade in the one you have for the one you want! It's easy.
Old 05-29-02, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Never seen Jules and Jim but Hard Eight is spectacular and this is coming from someone who pretty much dislikes anything PT Anderson does (flame away).
Old 05-29-02, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

IMO, "Jules and Jim" is Truffaut's very best film, but it's my understanding that Wellspring and/or Criterion (or someone) will soon be releasing a much improved version. That's not official news, but there's been much talk about this...
Old 05-29-02, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Two good films, unfortunately have I not bought them yet. Jules and Jim needs a lot more cognitive action by the audience, however, Hard Eight is kick in the balls. I like them both a lot, but I prefer Hard Eight.
Old 05-29-02, 06:17 PM

Would someone who absolutely loves Boogie Nights to death and hasn't seen Magnolia like Hard Eight?
Old 05-30-02, 05:56 PM

bluntman86, yes you would. I'm the same way, I still haven't seen Magnolia but I really liked Boogie Nights, so I bought Hard Eight as one of my CH selections. Boy am I glad I did, that movie is excellent, the performances are great, the story pulls you along even though there's not a lot of "action" per se, and plus I just like character studies and dramas, but hey...

So in short, yes, you'll like it.
Old 05-31-02, 03:37 PM

Thank you man.I have faith in PT but I can't help but get worried.I know very little about Hard Eight but your post is very encouraging.