Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Starship Troopers SE

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-02, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Starship Troopers SE

well, i just checked out a few scenes from the old and new disc and this is what i found, for anybody interested in the a/v improvements (if any).
audio sounds pretty much the same.
my audio set-up isn't real hi-end so i doubt i could detect much of a difference even if there was any (which i can't tell).
video is *a bit* more refined.
it seemed that the compression of the new disc is a little better, which trnslates into a more consistent fine quality to the image.
i noticed this primarily in a couple face shots where you could see (if you looked real close) the texture of the skin.
on the old disc, compression would just ever so slightly soften the detail once in a while, while the new disc kept it more solid.
the biggest difference between the two seemed to be in the black levels, though.
on the new disc they are a little more robust, on the old sometimes they look a little more washed out in comparison (check out chapter 2 to see what i mean).
on the whole though, the differences are pretty minor and unless you have a really hi-end display or are watching it on a large screen ( i was viewing on 80" +), i wouldn't upgrade for the a/v improvements.
the old disc still looks, on the whole, pretty remarkable.
i'll most likely be hanging on to the new one though.
the black levels just kick it up another notch on my fp.

haven't really bothered w/ the extras as i usaually don't watch them anyway.
if you're into that stuff, they sound pretty good ( heard a snippet of the cast commentary, and the fact that it was recorded post 9/11 may make it a bit more interesting/relevant than usual.

can't really complain to much about the upgrade since i still only have $35 total invested in the two copies ( and will be selling off the old one anyway).
back in the laserdisc days, a package of this quality would almost certainly have set me back $80-125.

Last edited by ckolchak; 05-28-02 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-29-02, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone watched the second disc yet??? I just started to and is it me or is the sound on the documentaries really low compared to the film??? I had to crank up my volume an extra 15 pts in order to hear it...
Old 05-30-02, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As I already own the original DVD I think I'll just hold off until it gets down to the $11.99-$9.99 price range to grab it. I don't have any problems with the current DVD I have so I can wait.
Old 05-30-02, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i popped the second disc in today and scanned thru it quick. i was hoping to find a trailer to Spider-man, but for some reason thats more apropos on a copy of Ali(!?).
i didn't notice any sound anomolies w/ the documentary.
only watched about the first 10 minutes and can now say i'm officially happy i upgraded.
Frank S, that original disc is great (and it was a steal for the $15 i paid for mine), but this one is better.
i think you'll probably be able to get it from CH in a few months, so $10 isn't too far off.

the transfer is getting dogged over on the HTF forum. i don't know why. film grain IS more present on this version, but i suspect thats because the picture in general is a little darker w/ more contrast, and a bit sharper to boot.
frankly the grain was something i thought about more after i had watched it than while i was watching it.
i think most people, myself included, would have a hard time distinguishing the difference between the two in a blind test, bu i think i would eventually conclude the newer version had a hair more 'punch'.

i went from dismissing this as an Aliens wannabe when i first saw it in the theater, to absolutely loving it now. one of the first things i remember thinking on 9/11 was how long it would be before we were bombarded in the mass media with glitzy, facist propaganda ala ST.
this is sly, smart action/satire that puts Bay & Devlin and co. to shame.

Last edited by ckolchak; 05-30-02 at 01:17 AM.
Old 05-30-02, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am wondering, how about deleted scenes ??

I was dissapointed with the original DVD release ... back then i had the honor of seeing the last work print .. and they made denise richard's character far more bitchy (like showing that she had that slick-o guy already in her bedroom when she recorded the "i am going career" message) .. none of those extra scenes are on the original DVD ..

what would be the man reason getting the new SE ?

i recently found out that changing old to new / SE is fairly simple .. on ebay you always find some AOL user buying the old flipper

P
Old 05-30-02, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by caipirina
I am wondering, how about deleted scenes ??

I was dissapointed with the original DVD release ... back then i had the honor of seeing the last work print .. and they made denise richard's character far more bitchy (like showing that she had that slick-o guy already in her bedroom when she recorded the "i am going career" message) .. none of those extra scenes are on the original DVD ..
Did you not play the flip side of the disc? Those deleted scenes were on the first DVD.
Old 05-30-02, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What's with the awful packaging? Maybe they'll do a Superbit version......
Old 05-30-02, 01:50 PM

Thanks a lot for the info, ckolchak.
I never owned the original release, but upon renting it I noticed a certain 'flatness' concerning some of the close-ups. Judging by your comments they seem to have fixed it.
Also, does the isolated score track feature comments by B. Poledouris? I remember reading a while back he was recording a commentary for the SE, but it is not listed in the official press release.
Old 05-30-02, 08:26 PM

I went to Best Buy to pick this us, but passed when I saw the crappy case. Why can't they just stick to regular keep cases?!
Old 05-31-02, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by JaxComet
What's with the awful packaging? Maybe they'll do a Superbit version......
oh God NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

i rather see ROBOCOP: Superbit
Old 06-03-02, 11:39 AM

Fantastic video quality!!!!! I wish there was a DTS track. But the DD was decent. As far as the Extras, I could not care less. That second disc may as well not be there.
Old 06-06-02, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am very pleased with this disc,. I held off purchasing the initial release and boy I am glad. The picture and sound is reference quality. The images look almost three-dimensional over my DLP HDtv. DLP rules the universe and those of you whom have not exerienced it; either theatrically or over home theatre are in for a real treat. But beware, once you've seen it there's no going back!
Old 06-06-02, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
The video quality is AWFUL. Yes, it looks good in the daytime and during the News Network logo screens but as soon as they fight on Klandathu (night+smoke) it has the same visual definition as a RealVideo stream -- this is on an HDTV that's been properly set with cabling and all the like.

On the Other hand, the Others (pun intended) had an excellent video quality in scenes of darkness and/or fog (read: the entire movie).
Old 06-06-02, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know what to say, The Bus? My DLP projector really makes this disc shine. I'm sorry that you don't agree. DLP really makes a big difference. A.I. is another excellent example.
My friend has a pretty good HDtv, not DLP, and the disc looks pretty awful in spots. Over my DLP projector the film looks incredible, much better than it looked theatrically, as it too looked grainy in theatres.
Old 06-06-02, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by The Bus
The video quality is AWFUL. Yes, it looks good in the daytime and during the News Network logo screens but as soon as they fight on Klandathu (night+smoke) it has the same visual definition as a RealVideo stream -- this is on an HDTV that's been properly set with cabling and all the like.
A RealVideo stream? That's a bit of a strong exaggeration, don't you think?

I thought the disc looks great. I had no visual problems with the scene you reference, and overall the disc is a noticeable improvement over the original DVD release.

The Dolby Digital track is a direct port of the one from the previous disc, unfortunately. The subwoofer has lots of boominess in the low end, but the audio mid-range is compressed to hell and has absolutely no body. Machine gun fire in particular sounds awful. All you hear is the thump-thump-thump from the sub, but no definition to the rattling of the bullets.

I also own the laserdisc. The DD track there is a slight improvement but has many of the same problems. To be honest, the PCM tracks on the LD are substantially better with more liveliness, even without the discrete 5.1 activity.

That's how I felt, anyway. Your mileage may vary.