Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

My Novocaine review

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-02, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Novocaine review

Since I'm now writing for UGO.com as their DVD "guy," I can't really cut and paste my reviews like I used to. I'll now include a direct link to it and hope that this is allowed under the DVDTalk rules.

Review of Novocaine at:
http://ugo.com/channels/filmTv/features/novocaine

Best,
Brian
Old 04-25-02, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...from the review: " The film's sound is available in two formats: 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround for the home theater heroes, and 2.0 Dolby Stereo for the losers with the 19" RCA with the missing remote control. "

...WOW!... and people dare to accuse me of being condescending!...

. . . . . .
Old 04-25-02, 01:47 AM

Originally posted by Hendrik
...WOW!... and people dare to accuse me of being condescending!...

. . . . . .
Look at me, I get a new gig and all of a sudden I'm an elitist.

-Brian
Old 04-25-02, 02:07 AM
Uber Member

Re: My Novocaine review

Originally posted by BJacks
I'll now include a direct link to it and hope that this is allowed under the DVDTalk rules.
Here's a link to our position on this: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=186836

The short version is that we'd prefer at least a short summary (like so-so movie, great special features) along with the link. That gives our members something to base their decision to click on your link and makes it seem less like we're just being used as advertising space.

Being an active DVDTalk member (like you already are) is a big plus too in terms of how we look at situations like this.

But we certainly don't require anyone to cut and paste their entire reviews. It was really nice of you to do that though.
Old 04-25-02, 02:12 AM

Re: Re: My Novocaine review

Originally posted by Blade
The short version is that we'd prefer at least a short summary (like so-so movie, great special features) along with the link. That gives our members something to base their decision to click on your link and makes it seem less like we're just being used as advertising space.
Sounds very fair, and I'll be sure to provide some sort of summary in the future. Perhaps the first couple of paragraphs, or what not. Thanks for the head's up on the policy.

Best,
Brian
Old 04-25-02, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
I watched this last night and you have pretty well hit it on the head. While there were times that I would hope that something would happen, I pretty much sat there comatose. It takes a stab at being film noir, but fails as most plot twists are telegraphed further ahead than an NBA three-step drive to the basket. I too expected a comedy, but the best I could muster was a guffaw for an uncredited Kevin Bacon. I couldn't even get excited by HBC's little buddies. Maybe the sad crackwhore look was played out in Fight Club.

As a whole, NOVOCAINE is the best description of how this movie leaves you: numb from the neck up, trying to feel something for the movie with your heart, but you just end up banging your head against things you can't even feel.

Old 04-29-02, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The film's identity crisis can most likely be traced to rookie filmmaker David Atkins, who not only decided to write the film, but directed it as well. No offense to Atkins, but this is exactly the reason why studios generally should never allow a freshman writer to direct his first movie.
Hmmmm.....no offense, but never say never. Your position seems a bit harsh and narrow minded. After all, David Lynch, Paul Thomas Andersen, Richard Linklater, Christopher Nolan, plus many others wrote and directed their first works.
Old 04-29-02, 11:17 PM

Originally posted by audrey
[B]
Hmmmm.....no offense, but never say never. Your position seems a bit harsh and narrow minded. After all, David Lynch, Paul Thomas Andersen, Richard Linklater, Christopher Nolan, plus many others wrote and directed their first works.
Your point is noted and appreciated, which is why I said "generally never" instead of a blatant "never." Writing is difficult. Directing is difficult. Not many first-time writer/directors can tackle both enormously challenging roles with a superb end result. Obviously there are exceptions.

-Brian

Last edited by BJacks; 04-29-02 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-01-02, 03:10 PM

I strongly disagree with your comments. This was a very playful, yet mysteriously tense thriller and I for one (apparently the only one) thoroughly enjoyed it. It reminded me of Red Rock West. A great movie with a bevy of great actors that was just too off kilter for mainstream acceptance. Give them a try.
Old 05-30-02, 08:48 PM

"and 2.0 Dolby Stereo for the losers with the 19" RCA with the missing remote control"

Yeah, I know a lot of "losers" with six figure two channel music/HT systems. Have fun with your multichannel home theater in a box with your tiny speakers and flashing lights!
Old 05-31-02, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"and 2.0 Dolby Stereo for the losers with the 19" RCA with the missing remote control"
[/QUOTE]

hey!! what's up with that?

do you even have to make comment like that just for a review of a movie?

well, i guess i'm part of you're "Loser" list
Old 06-04-02, 02:13 PM
Banned

Helena Bonham Carter is so damn hot in this movie!!!!

Old 06-05-02, 01:03 AM

Originally posted by BlackBeauty92

hey!! what's up with that?

do you even have to make comment like that just for a review of a movie?

well, i guess i'm part of you're "Loser" list
[/QUOTE]

Please don't be so thin-skinned. I'm obviously joking around. I should also mention that my last TV was a, surprise, 19" RCA with a missing remote control. Although I think the remote is somewhere under my bed.

-Brian

Last edited by BJacks; 06-05-02 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-05-02, 03:55 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I thought the movie was decent. Nothing more and nothing less. It was nice to see Steve Martin take a stab at a darker role and the supporting cast was impressive.
Old 06-05-02, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by Geofferson
It was nice to see Steve Martin take a stab at a darker role and the supporting cast was impressive.
Did you by chance happen to see The Spanish Prisoner? It features Martin's finest perfomance, in my opinion.
Old 06-06-02, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked the flick. I wouldn't go out and buy it but it was well worth a rental.......