Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

American Psycho 2...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-02, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
American Psycho 2...

MONKEY C over at aintitcool.com viewed a screener DVD of
AMERICAN PSYCHO 2. Here's what he said:

SPOILERS AHEAD!

In a two word summation: Absolutely Dreadful!!! I work at a video store and was surprised to see this screener arrive so early, I had heard it was due for a theatrical release sometime in the near future. But after watching this atrocity, I perfectly understand Lion's Gate's decision to go "direct-to-video."

The story follows Rachel Newman, played by Mila Kunis, an auspicious student studying behavior psychology who hopes to earn a T.A. postion under Dr. Starkman (William Shatner) which will allow her to join the FBI. The trouble is, she will do anything to stop the competition! And that's it. That's the movie. There are no remnants of the satire that made the book and the movie mildly interesting.

Instead this is a by the numbers slasher pic, with minimal gore and zero nudity ( I suspect that was the sole reason many AICNer's were even remotely interested in this film)

There's really no reason to go into the pros and cons of this movie.

It's just bad. Warning sign number 1: A costarring role by direct to video sequel king Robin Dunne (Skulls 2, Cruel Intentions2) Warning sign #2: William Shatner in a "serious" role. Shatner is only entertaining these days when he caricatures himself. His role here as the lustful professor is just embarrassing. And Warning sign #3: Mila Kunis. She's just too adorable to be believable as a psycho killer. She should have done a romantic comedy instead.

The only reason I thought this film could have been watchable was due to director Morgan J. Freeman. His last two movies, the great Hurricane Streets, and the quirky, underappreciated gem, Desert Blue, showed the signs of an up and coming talent. The catch is, he wrote those films. He did not write this one, he was simply a director for hire. It's not too late to recieve an Allan Smithee credit on this.

Which brings me to the final point, the writing. This film was written on a Speak n' Spell by an inbred 6th grader with a BB lodged in his brain. I actually started weeping when a character fell out a window and Kunis' response is "Hope you had a nice trip."

Let's face it though, there was really no hope for this movie from the start. You can make up your own minds on June 18th when it hits your local video store.

-You can call me Monkey C
Old 04-19-02, 06:59 PM

Received 114 Likes on 93 Posts
I didn't have my hopes up for this one. Thanks for the review.
Old 04-20-02, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

this has to be the most ill advised sequel I have heard of
Old 04-23-02, 12:55 AM
Banned

highly unlikely that it can be considered an actual "sequel". probably just some crap that's been shelved since the mid-ninties...slap a new title on it...BOOM...direct to video

god, i hate stupid people
Old 04-23-02, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really did not like the original...but something, maybe morbid curiousity makes me want to see this sequel.
Old 04-23-02, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 2,110 Likes on 1,390 Posts
Originally posted by fratboy187
highly unlikely that it can be considered an actual "sequel". probably just some crap that's been shelved since the mid-ninties...slap a new title on it...BOOM...direct to video
Um, no. Filming began just under a year ago, and it was always conceived as a sequel to American Psycho. Lion's Gate was using this to test the viability of a franchise.
Old 04-23-02, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A Patrick Bateman franchise?
uh okay? It is comforting knowing that we live in a world where American Psycho, a literate translation of an important work of modern fiction is being turned into a Slasher Franchise.
Why didn't Lion's Gate just finance another Brett Easton Ellis novel, Rules of Attraction seems particularly filmable, and it features Sean Bateman, Patrick's brother
Old 04-23-02, 03:42 PM

Received 114 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally posted by Apocrypha
Why didn't Lion's Gate just finance another Brett Easton Ellis novel, Rules of Attraction seems particularly filmable, and it features Sean Bateman, Patrick's brother
Hopefully, we'll see it someday.
Old 04-25-02, 03:35 AM

Rules of Attraction has already been made into a movie-by Roger Avary(killing Zoe)..Due for release sometime soon IN THEATERS)..

Star Eric Stoltz and the guy from Dawsons creek if I remember correctly!!..Looks good!!!
Old 04-25-02, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://us.imdb.com/Trailers?0292644&74871&28

Here's the rules of attraction trailer.

Also, I believe they are making Glamorama into a movie too.
Old 04-25-02, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,142 Likes on 2,128 Posts
Originally posted by Big Guy
Rules of Attraction has already been made into a movie-by Roger Avary(killing Zoe)..Due for release sometime soon IN THEATERS)..
Isn't "Rules of Attraction" going to be rated NC-17? If so, I wouldn't expect it to be in many theaters soon.

Hopefully, we can expect an uncut DVD.
Old 04-26-02, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Excellent,
They wouldn't show ROA in my town if it was PG-13
bring on the unrated DVD, can't wait.
Thanks for the good news