Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Training Day - My Short Review

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Training Day - My Short Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-02, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
And the Oscar for Best Actor goes to...

Originally posted by pter
Rent this one.
I bought it, and none of the people I've shown it to (incl. me) thought it was worth buying.
Denzel Washington, for Training Day.
Old 03-25-02, 11:04 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good Movie. I didnt really like the ending. Was Denzel good?...yes
Did he deserve an oscar?.....NO. Definetly worth a purchase.
Old 03-27-02, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The movie rocked. Had I been a rookie I would have reacted the exact same way as Ethan Hawke did....in fact it felt almost as if I were in his shoes. I was scared shitless throughout the whole movie. Great performances. Worth the money.

JesseCrx
Old 03-28-02, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

academy awards reissue possible?

I wonder if b/c denzel won the award, whether they will replace the snapper case with an Awards reissue special edition or something?
Old 03-29-02, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: academy awards reissue possible?

Originally posted by darkessenz
I wonder if b/c denzel won the award, whether they will replace the snapper case with an Awards reissue special edition or something?
I just got the latest shipment of these in at my Circuit City. They now come packaged with a sticker reading "Oscar Winner - Best Actor - Denzel Washington" or something like that. No different packaging though, just the sticker on the shrink wrap.
Old 03-29-02, 11:59 PM
Banned

How good of a DVD is this movie? Special Features etc?Nudity? How good of a plot does it have?Worth a purchase?

Your thoughts/feelings?
Old 03-30-02, 02:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought and watch last night. I really enjoyed it, and want to watch it again real soon.

I recall reading some reviews that critized the plausibility of it all. Certainly it's a bit extreme, but I bought into the whole story.

The only part I thought that was truly unbelievable was
Spoiler:
when Denzel got wasted and there were no other cars around. Not in L.A.!!!
Old 04-02-02, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this movie was great. Denzel and Ethan both did a terific job in it. It was probably my favorite movie from last year.
Old 04-02-02, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by Smog
Lookie here my niggaz I got sumpin ta show ya all. This is the biggest baddest show of all time and doan even think about axin me any questions. This is da bomb, King Kong ain't got nuthin on this show.

Actually this is a steamy pile O' shite. Incredibly poor script, and Scott Glenn talkin all jiggy and S**T was hilarious (Unintentional).

This movie is attempting to be all docudrama and realistic and then Ethan says "it's all about smiles and cries and they can't take that away from you." HUH.

This film has no suspense, it telegraphs everything or explains it to you. Just plain awful. Denzel is OK here but in no shape or form is this an academy award winning performance.

Rent this one my brothers, for if you pay for it you will pay for it.
Bing Friggin Go. Bingo brother. I was beginning to think I was the only one who saw this as a method acting Shaft wannabe "I'm all that" piece of schlock. Don't get me wrong. It wasn't as bad as many, and had some good scenes. But come onnnnnnn! My *****. Are you a wolf or a rabbit.

The cheeze in this movie was oozing out of Denzel's ears. Best Actor! Hello!
Old 04-05-02, 03:06 PM

I just saw this DVD y'day and i thought the movie was good overall .But the ending sucked .
Ethan and denzel were perfect in their roles and camera and music were very good ,
DTS track would have rocked but i guess we need to wait for the Special edition soon .
Old 04-05-02, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Originally posted by MrVette99
The only part I thought that was truly unbelievable was
Spoiler:
when Denzel got wasted and there were no other cars around. Not in L.A.!!!
Is everyone forgetting
Spoiler:
how Ethan Hawke suddenly became Superman at the end? He gets the tar beat out of him by the hispanic guys, goes to Denzel, proceeds to get the total crap beat out of him as well as a head thru a plate glass window & then within less than a minute he is back up & jumping on Denzel's car. Then he gets smashed into 2 or 3 cars & then gets the upper hand on Denzel? I just don't get it. I was impressed with the gritty realism & then this ending just chocked it all away & Ethan becomes Arnold? What the hell? It wasn't like Ethan was still on PCP & could do things without feeling pain. Any one care to explain or was I the only one who was bothered by this?

This flick was good & the performances were as well but it is just a good rental in my opinion.
Old 04-08-02, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Another issue I had was how did Denzel's car get un-smashed enough to drive? During the preceeding car crashing part, both the truck and hood and all four fenders were trashed. Yet later, it's perfectly driveable again? I know, minor point.
Still a great movie. Made me uncomfortable during the entire performance.
Being a cop I put myself in all the situations Ethan endured.
During the pot smoking scene, my wife turned and asked me what I would have done in that situation? I told her I would have walked out on Denzel in the Diner!
Old 04-08-02, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i dunno how to do spoilers, but when ethan is playing cards notice the one guy gets a IM on his cell phone.

So what are you saying? Denzel msged him and told them to?
Hmm, I never noticed that.