Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Jin-Roh The Wolf Brigade ...any good?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-02, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This DVD caught my eye. Is it any good?
Old 03-01-02, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Jin-Roh The Wolf Brigade ...any good?

Originally posted by White Knight
This DVD caught my eye. Is it any good?
Yes. It is also incredibly dark and depressing.
Old 03-01-02, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...a fair assessment:

http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial...e&obj_id=27110

. . . . . .
Old 03-01-02, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jin-Roh (possible spoiler)

The Jin-Roh dvd is very impressive. Aside fm the almost flawless animation, the Japanese DTS 5.1 (& the lesser Dolby 5.1) is equally magnificent.

Can't say much about the extras since I only purchased the single disc (movie only). I felt the special edition was a little too pricey.

In rgds to the story....

Amidst all the action scenes (riots, explosions, gunfights), lies a story that deals with the dark side of men. I really think the makers of the film put realism in perspective, thus having no redemption at the end. You can expect the bloodletting and bullets flying all over the place in this anime, but what sets it apart is the realization that the violence in this movie pushes its message through.
Old 03-01-02, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

An anime site review here: http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews/re...n-roh_se-1.htm

I am definitely intrigued by this one. I think I'll opt for the standard version and keep the extra $20 the limited edition will set me back. Anyone know if the standard disc is the same as the limited edition disc?
Old 03-02-02, 02:01 AM

I'm dyin' here. I won a copy of this, and can't wait for it to show up.

As far as LE vs standard...

The LE is a three disc set. Movie disc, special features disc, CD soundtrack.

The standard version is only the movie disc. AFAIK, the movie disc is the same across both versions (though, the disc art may be different).
Old 03-16-02, 10:20 PM

I'm thinking about buying this. But I can't stand to buy the standard when there's an LE. Does anyone know what is on the 2nd DVD and if it's justifiable to paying like $50 for it?

Btw my fav's for anime are Akira, Ghost and the Shell and Ninja Scroll. Can someone tell me if it ranks up there?
Old 03-17-02, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by hav0k99
I'm thinking about buying this. But I can't stand to buy the standard when there's an LE. Does anyone know what is on the 2nd DVD and if it's justifiable to paying like $50 for it?

Btw my fav's for anime are Akira, Ghost and the Shell and Ninja Scroll. Can someone tell me if it ranks up there?

I'm in your position. I can't stand buying standard versions if theres a SE out there, but at 49-59.. it is very steep for what extras they give you.
Old 03-17-02, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton

I'm in your position. I can't stand buying standard versions if theres a SE out there, but at 49-59.. it is very steep for what extras they give you.
Can anyone help us with a great deal on the Limited Edition? I don't wanna buy the standard and like it so much that I wish I would've gotten the LE.

I rean into the same thing with Akira a while back and ended up going for the TIN edition. I am still very happy I made that decision.
Old 03-18-02, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
I thought the movie was very good, but it was not what I expected it to be based on the previews or the disc packaging (which make it look like more of an action-adventure/war story). It is a very thoughtful morality fable, with a slow and deliberate pace that is likely to piss off some anime fans expecting hyperkinetic action sequences. There are some blood and guts, but this is a character study first.

Disc 1 contains just the movie itself with Dolby Digital tracks in both English dub and original Japanese, and a Japanese DTS mix. No supplements here, and this is identical to the single-disc edition available separately.

Disc 2 has all of the supplements: about 5 trailers, a still gallery of storyboards and character sketches, and some interviews. Doesn't sound like much. There seem to be a bunch of interviews. I haven't watched them yet and don't know the total running time. I'm hoping they turn out to be something significant, because otherwise there isn't much here that couldn't have easily fit onto the first disc and been released at half the price.

Disc 3 is the soundtrack CD. Nice music. Very haunting.

The package also has a booklet with a long essay about Mamoru Oshii. Some interesting info in it, but sounds like it was written by a raving fanboy with a tendency to overstate everything.

Overall I'm pleased with the package, but the SE box seems outrageously overpriced for the amount of content. Should have been priced around $35-40, in my opinion.
Old 03-19-02, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i'm not a big fan of anime, but my brother is...

he bought the LE version (or should i say 'Special Edition' version since they don't have any limitation) of Jin-Roh...
i only watch it for few minutes...

just like Josh Z said, it was over-priced. BUT....
if you're a fan of anime (specially dark-anime like Akira, Blood/vampire hunter, or even Princes Mononoke kind of thing) then you probably like this one too...
very interesting story, graphic (very smooth & realistic... screw Dreamworks & Disney) & violant too

the amount of extras only worth the money IF you're a die-hard anime fans (including anime/japanese sountrack & such)...
the 2nd disc only good if you love the movie & need to find out how tough it is to make movie like this...
3rd disc is sountrack which is cool if you're anime sountrack fan too

if you just like to watch the movie (AKA not really anime die0hard fans), then skip the SE... get the single disc

both version got the same treatment in DTS & such (SE got bunch of extras that's all)

hope it helps
Old 03-19-02, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just watched it tonight. I am impressed, but not blown away.

It has the unrelenting grimness that only the Japanese could put in an Animated feature. Grimmest I've seen since Grave of the Fireflies. Oshii's influence is all over it--a very good thing.

I do recommend it for at least a rental. And do watch it in Japanese w/English subs, or its impact--a rare animated feature with actual emotional impact--will surely be lessened.
Old 03-19-02, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Watched the remainder of the supplements last night. The "interviews" section is actually a 40-minute featurette that has some very interesting information about the concepts and creation of the film. I found this to be worth content, but I still feel that the box is way overpriced.
Old 03-20-02, 01:36 PM

Great News guys!! Samgoody.com has the SE for $25!!!

http://www.dvdpricesearch.com/cgi-bi...&id=M001839527

I just ordered it.