Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Red Planet review

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-02, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red Planet review

Can't believe no one has reviewed this movie [according to the search I just did].

Anyways, this is yet another trip to Mars movie where the astronauts travel hundreds of miles from Earth to find out about themselves. It is a better story than most other Mars movies. It just tended to drag in some places.

Val Kilmer plays a space "janitor" who never once fixes a toilet in the entire movie. Carrie-Anne Moss plays the female in charge. Tom Sizemore and Ben Bratt round out the rest of the actors.

The movie is a good one to own. It's not the best sci-fi ever, but it is way better than Mission To Mars and the story isn't that far featched from reality. The only part that takes away from this DVD is the deleated scenes. If there ever was a case for deleted scenes not to be in a movie, these are it. The scenes were awful and didn't add or enhance the movie. They were better off to omit these deleted scenes.

Old 01-26-02, 05:13 PM
Banned

**** you, planet.
Old 01-27-02, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Red Planet is a good flick. It's not great by any means but it's very solid and has a terrific group of actors, including the always watchable Tom Sizemore. The look of the movie is nice and the effects are well thought out and executed flawlessly. I don't have the DVD but it's popping up for $15 or less so I may pick it up.

Oh yeah, Carrie-Anne Moss wears really tight shirts too...always a good thing
Old 01-27-02, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I picked it up for 9.99. Watched it twice. I do not how much of replay value it has. Rental yes, do not pay more than $10 for it.
Old 01-27-02, 10:05 AM
Cool New Member

i'm sorry but what's wrong with you guys?? i think the movie is one of the worst i've seen in a long time. stay away from it.

watch it on tv and that's just fine... if u have to...

Last edited by MovieMan11779; 01-27-02 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-27-02, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Now I've heard many many contradicting reports. Maybe a 99 cent rental to determine if I should buy it.
Old 01-28-02, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I considered buying this one PV from BBV, and after watching it on HBO a few weeks ago, I'm glad I didn't. Is it better than Mission to Mars? Of course it is. Is it good? Not really. It's not the worst movie I've ever seen, but I have no desire to ever see it again.
Old 01-28-02, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Movie:

. . . S P O I L E R S ! ! ! . . .

http://www.mrcranky.com/movies/redplanet.html

The DVD:

http://www.digitalbayou.com/Reviews/red_planet.htm

. . . h o w e v e r . . . "America's pre-eminent movie critic" gave the movie three out of four stars...

...so there you are...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 01-28-02 at 01:58 AM.
Old 01-28-02, 05:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally I enjoyed it, esp when compared to that other drek MtM. I'm not willing to blow $15 on it though, even in the form of a gift card I got for Christmas. I think I'll wait until this hits the sub $10 level atleast.
Old 01-28-02, 12:55 PM
Banned

another huge dissapointment....though it's better than MTM.
Old 01-28-02, 05:47 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Re: Red Planet review

Originally posted by POWERBOMB
Can't believe no one has reviewed this movie [according to the search I just did.]
Three different folks covered it for DVD Talk ...
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=1802
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=1822
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=1928

And it was also discussed in this thread ...
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=125314

... where I was overheard saying ...
Ah, climb down off your high horse, buddy. Waller in the gutter with the rest of us. Red Planet is mindless fun! It's got some gee-whiz effects like these flexible video-screen maps, some groovy space suits an robotic Labrador Retriever that gets its switch flipped from "Scratch and Sniff" to "Crush, Kill and Destroy." Happens all the time on Mars.
Old 01-30-02, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by Scot1458
another huge dissapointment....though it's better than MTM.
Totally agree. Both were but RP was a residue better than MTM. Of course, watching Brady Bunch for 10 hours straight would be better than MTM.
Old 01-31-02, 01:42 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I enjoyed it for what it was..., I mindless sci fi flick with Carrie Ann, and some decent cgi effects. I Picked it up previously viewed at a Hollywood Video for $10. Glad I did.
Old 01-31-02, 03:26 PM

Popcorn

Definitely a popcorn flick. I wouldn't buy that type of movie, but then again, I'm not a big collector. My girlfriend and I started to watch it on HBO but she made me turn it off and rent it on dvd because it was "cool" looking. Why turn it off? Because we could both tell it was a movie not worth watching twice.

It's a good-looking movie with some cool concepts/gadgets. Carrie-Ann is both beautiful and hot, if you know what I mean. I think the balloon landing is a concept that actually was developed by NASA.

The centerpiece is the robot (I forget it's name). I thought the way it looked, sounded and moved was *supercool*. I don't know why a nuclear powered combat robot would need to know kung fu stances, but I liked it. The spinning blade hand a la Maximillian was a nice touch.

Now that I think about it, more robot could have made it a movie worth owning.
Old 02-04-02, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I picked this up as a PV from BBV for like 7 bucks, and that's 7 bucks I'll never have back. This movie stinks.

I highly suggest not purchasing, unless you're simplya val fan.
Old 02-04-02, 02:21 PM

What I find interesting is that Battlefield Earth, RP and MTM were all awful. I mean stinko. I haven't seen it, but from what I hear, Ghost of Mars isn't much better. We won't even go into POTA's. Where the heck are the good SF movies.

Alien(s), Total Recall, Starship Troopers (Don't even think about flaming me on this one. It was fun ), Blade Runner, The SW Trilogy (Not Phantom Menace), the Original POTA, The Day the Earth Stood Still.

I want my Sci Fi!
Old 02-04-02, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wasn't expecting much when I saw this and I still didn't like it.
Besides the planet mars, there's nothing similar to Mission To Mars.
I don't know why the two movies keep getting compared.
Red Planet was an action film and MTM was more of a drama.

I actually liked MTM and don't know why it's gets so much bashing.
Old 02-06-02, 12:50 PM
Banned

I don't know about you guys, but I enjoyed Battlefield Earth a hell of alot more than RP....I guess because with BE I was expecting to see a pile.

One thing that bugs me, is this term Popcorn Movie.....

we all know how it's used. Trouble is that the oringal "popcorn movies" like Jaws, Close Encounters, hell even Star Wars were popcorn movies!

I think this term is BS, and I think moviegoers are expecting less and less from their blockbusters.

Nowadays blockbusters = s hite
Old 02-08-02, 06:14 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Scot1458
I don't know about you guys, but I enjoyed Battlefield Earth a hell of alot more than RP....I guess because with BE I was expecting to see a pile.

One thing that bugs me, is this term Popcorn Movie.....

we all know how it's used. Trouble is that the oringal "popcorn movies" like Jaws, Close Encounters, hell even Star Wars were popcorn movies!

I think this term is BS, and I think moviegoers are expecting less and less from their blockbusters.

Nowadays blockbusters = s hite
I agree. "Popcorn movie" has become a compensatory term for a film that is complete and utter junk.
Old 02-08-02, 07:14 AM

I can't watch a movie without a bowl of popcorn. So in that sense, 'Shindlers List' was a 'popcorn' movie for me.