Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Belle De Jour: Reviews wanted

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Belle De Jour: Reviews wanted

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-02, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Nick Danger
Bump for more info.

Is this disk so bad that it's not worth buying? The reviews on Amazon are very negative. I've been waiting for the DVD release since I bought a player last year.
Bunuel is Bunuel. it's definitely not a Criterion release, but even Miramax's crappy handling of this nonanmorphic DVD cannot dull the brilliance that is BUNUEL! Plus there's a commentary track. I'm glad I bought it despite Miramax's poor presentation of a cinematic classic.

cheers, Tony Block
Old 03-21-02, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re:an anamorphic Belle de jour on NTSC Reg 1 DVD???? Maybe!

Originally posted by jamieoni
I was just curious if your disc actually has the promised interview with Catherine Deneuve? I just got my copy today, after a long delay from DVDBoxOffice, and was surprised to discover I had received some kind of Canadian pressing (it has text in both English *and* French on the back). I want to make sure I got pretty much the same disc as the regular United States release.

Thanks for any help.

jamie
I got two Canadian DVDs from an American DVD etailer entertainme.com, they also have a Canadian website. One was Purple Noon (PN), the other was Belle de jour (BDJ). To my pleasant surprise, Both of the DVDs were Canadian versions from Alliance Atlantis, instead of the USA Miramax versions.
On the BDJ keepcase, the DVD was noted to have the same commentary track & 2 trailers as the Miramax version of BDJ, but to my great & pleasant surprise it was also listed as a 1.66:1 transfer that was ENHANCED FOR 16x9 TELEVISION.

First, I opened up the PN Disc and found an Alliance Atlantis DVD listed as DVD 3955, which matched the spine # on the keep case. I then opened up BDJ, and to my unpleasant suprise I found a USA Miramax DVD inside, with a number, 24739, that did not match the Canadian Keepcase spine # of 3954. Moreover, When I put the disc in my player, to my disappointment it was not enhanced for 16x9.

Additionally, it appears that the shrinkwrap on the BDJ was opened up & then reshrunk, and that a sticker was pulled off of the shrinkwrap. However, the bilingual info on the keep case clearly states in both French and English, that the Disc IS enhanced for 16x9 and should be number 3954, which my Miramax disc is not. Moreover both the PN & BDJ discs say they were from Montreal, and while the PN disc lists its info in French & English, the BDJ Miramax disc has all its info in English. The really strange thing is that the BDJ insert that goes inside the clear plastic of the keepcase is reversable, with French info on one side & English on the other. I'm not happy at all & I'm planning on contacting this etailer to see what happened.

That said, and off my chest, The good news is that the Canadian version of Belle de jour appears to be anamorphic. As soon as I find out for sure, I'll post back. If the Canadian version is enhanced, like the disc information on the back of the DVD keepcase states, this is Very Very good news indeed.

cheers, Tony Block
Old 03-21-02, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts
It's already been confirmed that the information on the cover of the Alliance release is incorrect... the transfer is NOT anamorphic.
Old 03-21-02, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Coral
It's already been confirmed that the information on the cover of the Alliance release is incorrect... the transfer is NOT anamorphic.
Not to question your response, but where did you hear/see this?

Thanks, Tony Block
Old 03-22-02, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts
Norm Wilner mentioned it on alt.video.dvd and a people at HTF have confirmed it also.

Here's a link:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ighlight=belle
Old 03-22-02, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Coral
Norm Wilner mentioned it on alt.video.dvd and a people at HTF have confirmed it also.

Here's a link:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ighlight=belle
thanks!