Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: WINGSPAN-Paul McCartney

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-02, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been thinking about getting this at Best Buy (10%) off music titles this week so it's only 15.99. How is it?? Is there alot of music in it or just a documentary?
Old 01-02-02, 01:36 PM

Don't know why they call it Wingspan.Not much music.It's all about the love McCartney has for his wife,Linda.
Old 01-02-02, 02:27 PM

Wingspan includes lots of music, but only in minor snippets. It's a mistitled piece, as it really isn't a history of the band. Instead, it's more of a Paul and Linda biography for the Seventies. It does show many excellent performance clips, but only in small doses; there are very few complete songs.

Overall, it's worth a look for diehard McCartney fans, but casual partisans will be less enchanted. It looks fairly good - let's hear it for the 16X9-enhanced transfer! - considering the age of much of the material, and the sound is fine. It packs a few decent extras, though some are sloppy, as mistakes occur.

Anyway, here's a link to my full review:

http://www.dvdmg.com/wingspan.shtml
Old 01-03-02, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There are a couple "videos" from the now out of print 76 or 77 concert film that was on VHS for a while, and video of the Kampuchea concert song Paul wrote. I find myself watching those the most. This disc has THE WORST layer change ever. Picture a song building up...chords building to the tonic/root...then BAM..a slight pause...and then the music continues. Just awful.

I love Paul and like his latest album, so...my opinion probably isn't the most reliable.
Old 01-03-02, 08:31 AM

Thanks to all. I'm a Beatles fanatic so I'll probably get it. If I use my $5 coupon it's only 10.99 plus tax (in-store pickup). For that price it seems worth it.
Old 01-04-02, 10:34 PM

There are a couple "videos" from the now out of print 76 or 77 concert film that was on VHS for a while, and video of the Kampuchea concert song Paul wrote.
The former would be Rockshow. It was also available on LD for a while a looong time ago. I had the Japanese one but wasn't impressed. However, the footage on Wingspan looks surprisingly good, and some of it's actually shown in widescreen. I'd always assumed Rockshow was open matte, but since the DVD includes some letterboxed and some fullscreen shots, it seems likely this isn't the case; the widescreen stuff looks more accurate. Man, what I wouldn't do to get a 16X9 Rockshow DVD with a remastered soundtrack!

For the record, the song mentioned is "Rockestra Theme", and it wasn't composed for the Concerts for the People of Kampuchea. It was one of the songs from Back to the Egg, and while it was performed at the Concerts, it wasn't done specifically for them. Speaking of the Concerts, there's another piece that I'd LOVE to get on DVD. Heck, I'd just like to have a legit CD release of that one, actually; it's got a lot of good material on it...