Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Fast and the Furious REVIEW

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 12-28-01, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A pretty damn Good movie. The disc is pretty solid. The anamorphic transfer is quite good and really delivers the vivid colour and great visuals this movie has. The audio is superb and Universal did a great job on the technical aspects of the disc.

The only problem with the disc, is that the special features are not that special. Universal used to be a premiere studio when it came to quality dvd extras, but lately, they've been steadily down hill. Mummy Returns had some of the worst extras to date...this isn't as bad as that, but its not great.

The now standard audio commentary with the director is quite a good one, providing some interesting info on the film (some people don't care for commentaries, but i love them) and is entertaining.

The Making of The Fast and Furious is your standard making of short (18min approx.) and is alright, but nothing too special. Aside from a few interesting interviews with the principles and director, this is pretty flat.

The Visual FX/Storyboard sections are alright. Nothing that will blow you away, and a lot of the fx stuff has different plates and angles, without any other explanation. Now it may be fun to watch the BIG finale crash over and over from different angles at first, but it wears pretty thin, and there is no explanation about bringing these elements together into something more... the storyboards are fine, but these features seem lacking, really missing the fibre that ties them together, explains them and makes them interesting...worth watching once, i guess.

Included are a few text supplements. The original article RACER X which inspired the movie, which is worth a read. Then your standard bios, production notes etc.

There are a few deleted scenes, with commentary, non anamorphic. Most of these were cut for good reasons and are not really essential. Kind of good, but not too exciting (not like the deleted scenes in EVOLUTION, the cut scenes on that disc have some real gems) and it's easy to see why they were thankfully cut.

There are 3 music videos and a soundtrack promo. The videos are full frame, and if you really like the artists, it's nice to have the vids on disc.

The BEST feature in my opinion is the EDITING for the MPAA. This takes us briefly into the cutting process a movie goes through in order to please the MPAA and earn it's rating. In this case, recutting a few frames of violence out of a scene to get a PG-13. I would have liked to see more on this topic, but am glad it was included cause it was very interesting...one of the best additions to dvd features in a while...more discs should talk about changes made to please the MPAA and detail the process (listen up Ben Stiller...i full well expect to see this kind of thing on the ZOOLANDER disc in regards to the orgy!)

Anyhow, if you are a fan of the movie, the presentation is spectacular. If you are a fan of extras, these are mediocre at best, with a hidden gem here or there, but not enough to earn a lot of praise.

A good release of an entertaining flick.

MATT
Old 12-28-01, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's another review.......

http://www.dvdangle.com/reviews/review.php?Id=2077