Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted - The Stunt Man LE

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-01, 04:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just bought this at Best Buy for $19.99 with a gift certificate. I haven't seen it, but I hear its really good. Someone recommended it to me after hearing that I liked weird movies and movies with plenty of plot twists. Any reviews?
Old 12-16-01, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't listened to the commentary track yet, but it's a great film, with a very nice anamorphic transfer, nice DTS & DD5.1 audio tracks, and a great doucumentary on the making of the film.

Her's 9 reviews of the film!

cheers, Tony Block

http://www.dvd-basen.dk/uk/resultat....land=%25&ok=go
Old 02-08-02, 07:21 PM

THE STUNT MAN has been one of my top ten favorite movies of all times since I first saw it in a movie theater in 1980. I worked in a movie theater in Boston at the time as an usher while studying film scoring at Berklee College of Music. I watched the movie multiple times while there and never got tired of it. Every time I watched it, I saw something new. When I moved to LA in early 1981, I would go back and watch it again with any friend I could get to go. This film is a love letter to cinema--to the art of film. The script is amazing and the finished film features very clever and interesting editing, wonderfully entertaining and subtle performances from everyone (maybe Peter O'Toole's most subtle ever), artful directing that tells the story and one of my favorite music scores (and I had to listen to a lot of them as a film scoring student). And the stunts are way cool!
It has been very hard to find on home video for me and I am so glad it is out now on DVD. The video transfer is about what I would have expected: not great, but not bad. It is not a film of vibrant color anyway, but it looks fine on this disc. The audio I would rate a bit lower, only because sometimes it is difficult to hear the dialogue. The score sounds and is as wonderful as I remember. Maybe a bit better. I think the sound effects also sound better than I remember them.
This disc is chock full of extras including a mostly entertaining and informative commentary. I have not watched all of THE SINISTER SAGA OF MAKING THE STUNT MAN on the second disc yet (this review refers to the LE set), but what I have watched so far was interesting and fun, even if Richard Rush seems a bit too full of himself. But, you know, even if this is the only great work he has ever done (and it seems to be so), he deserves to blow his horn a little. And in the midst of this documentary, there's a great deleted scene with comments by the actors and the director. WARNINGS: a)SPOILERS lurk in Rush's intro to the actual film on the first disc. DON'T WATCH IT FIRST IF YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN THE MOVIE. VERY BAD IDEA! You should really come to the movie fresh with no preconceived interpretations, even the director's. b) This movie deserves to be watched twice (at least): EVEN IF YOU THINK YOU DIDN'T LIKE IT THE FIRST TIME. But either way, even if you *DO* like it--you have not seen this film until you have watched it more than once.I know many people who saw it once, thought it was either mediocre or terrible,and then for whatever reason, got to see it again, and liked it much better the second time. I was intrigued the first time, but thought it was only a good film. Not great. When I saw it again, (because I was working at the movie theater and could for free), I realized that it was indeed great. And it got better every time. Even to this day. I think I may have watched this film more than almost any other film I have ever seen--maybe over fifty times. I know I paid to see it more than any other film when I moved to LA, no longer had my free passes as an usher and wanted friends to have the pleasure of checking this film out. Trust me on this; you have to watch this movie at least twice to really get everything out of it. It is a work of art and deserves some more time than the average movie. I think this is a must have DVD (LE).

Last edited by N_Wonder; 02-08-02 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-18-02, 04:51 PM

try Surround instead of 5.1

the 5.1 (DTS and DD) soundtracks do muffle the voices somewhat. try the DD 2.0 soundtrack.... sounds much better...
Old 02-20-02, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
great movie, great dvd.

-k
###
Old 02-21-02, 11:50 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
The Stunt Man is a great movie. The LE DVD is great too. If you get a chance, watch the documentary on the 2nd disc. Very interesting stuff...
Old 02-23-02, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Stunt Man LE is absolutely top notch. A great, great film that was certainly one of the top ten films of the 70's (I know, it came out in 1980) if not one of the top five and that is saying a *lot*. For it's age, the transfer is quite good. The commentary track is super. I especially liked the no holds barred but affable Railsback and, of course, O'Toole. The doc is also great. Rush is a bit hard to swallow at the beginning but get through the first few minutes...he and it improve.
Old 02-24-02, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess i'll be the bad guy here. I'm very glad I only bought the $13 single disc version. Although I found certain parts of the film entertaining, I don't see myself ever watching it again. It may just be a case of message board hype not meeting my expectations.
Old 02-25-02, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by JaxComet
I guess i'll be the bad guy here. I'm very glad I only bought the $13 single disc version. Although I found certain parts of the film entertaining, I don't see myself ever watching it again. It may just be a case of message board hype not meeting my expectations.
Believe it or not, your opinion of the movie may change with another viewing. I found that I liked the movie a lot more on the second viewing than on the first, and more still after that.

My review is here:

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...untman_ce.html